Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 17
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: external hd
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:37:54 PM
I've been working with computers for a long time and in my experiences Seagate tends to be somewhat more reliable than Western Digital or Hitachi.
A terabyte of storage is fine, if that's what you need. If you don't need that much, you might want to spend a bit less.
A case with a fan is a good idea, IMO, to reduce the risk of overheating.
To ensure a reasonable level of speed, get a drive that is at least 7200 RPM.
Topic: Body Modification
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:10:23 PM
Luftmarque wrote:
I'd like some titanium teeth, please sir.

How about all titanium bones? You could be bulletproof and unbreakable like Wolverine.
As far as tattoos, my opinion is that they're better to avoid, because they're permanent, and an expression of yourself at 22 won't be the same as at 29.
Topic: Spontaneously exploding olive oil
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:04:38 PM
26letters wrote:
oxymoron Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:14:30 PM
This happens every time I defrost meat for past 30 years.

26letters writes: oxy, after 30 years, I'd throw the meat away.

thrustae, there can be only one explanation for this. Putting a foreign oil on the counter within sight of the kitchen canisters was inviting trouble. It's generally accepted that flour, sugar, coffee and tea get along with each other; but introduce a foreigner and they seem to find strength in numbers, ganging up on the poor soul until that one is overwhelmed. If you ask me (you really shouldn't) I think the coffee kept chiding the olive oil, calling it a "tub o' lard" until it finally ... well, exploded.

Case dismissed.

That's definitely another possibility. The coffee is over on top of the fridge, but there are a lots of exotic seasonings all around the counter space where the olive oil was. The cayenne pepper, for example, packs a good punch. Good enough to break through glass, even.
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:49:50 PM
Tovarish wrote:
Trustae, was it near your microwave oven?
I had a large glass bowl near mine, and it nuked it.

It was right close to the microwave. The warrior cat theory is still plausible though.

Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 9:06:58 PM
mailady wrote:
Man....!! What a mess!!!!!

A terrible mess. I mopped over it twice and it's still somewhat slippery.
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:06:46 PM
That's a good answer, Epiphileon.
I all but topped it off; I think there may have been about 5ml of space remaining. And it was near a window on a very hot, sunny day, so I think those factors explain it: expansion from heat and no room to expand.
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 5:00:00 PM
On Wenzday I purchased a one-liter glass bottle of extra virgin olive oil. There was just a little remaining olive oil in the existing bottle, so I opened the new one and added the contents of the old one to it, nearly filling the bottle to the very top. On Thursday I came home in the evening and the bottle had exploded. It was still standing upright but one side of it was broken open, leaving a gaping hole. There were some cracks on the opposite side, and the olive oil and pieces of glass were all over the counter and the ground. It doesn't look like it was knocked over but like some force was somehow applied locally to part of the bottle. No one was home, but it was terribly hot inside when I got in.

Possibilities:
  • Stray bullet (unlikely as there is no auxiliary damage anywhere)
  • Poltergeist
  • Cats (but they wouldn't/couldn't have put the bottle back on the counter if they had knocked it down)
  • Burglar (unlikely as there is no evidence of a break-in and nothing was taken)
  • The heat caused the bottle to over-pressurize and explode

Anyone have any ideas why/how that happened?
  • Topic: Obama's plans on Iraq and Afghanistan
    Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:12:36 PM
    I hate to think HWN's prediction for Iraq will come true but it's certainly plausible. For this reason I believe it is important to stay committed long enough to establish a stable government and prevent a reversion to a vile regime like the one that we went there to destroy in the first place.
    Topic: Obama's plans on Iraq and Afghanistan
    Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:59:08 PM
    Afghanistan has been a base for al qaeda since the taliban is actually brutal enough to share al qaeda's ideology. Al qaeda is really a franchise though, and you can open up shop anywhere, including the US. (Note: I'm not saying you should do that; I'm only clarifying how it works.) We've seen enough terror plots in other parts of the world, beyond the Middle East, to realize that there is an infectious ideology at work that needs to be extinguished.

The President said we'd start pulling people out in 2011 but that could mean only a very small number at first. There should be, IMO, a balance: we need to commit to finishing, and at the same time the Afghans need to become self-sufficient and know that we will eventually be out of the area. I think ostensibly we need to be fully committed for as long as possible. The reason is because we are engaged in guerrilla warfare, where the weaker party (al qaeda/taliban) tries to wear down and outlast the stronger opponent (the free world, led by the US). We are fairly impatient in the US (understandably so) but the terrorists will hold out as long as possible. We have been capturing and killing a lot of terrorist leaders in the last few months (with help in Pakistan, whose leadership suddenly is going after these guys).

This is what I think we need to succeed in Afghanistan and Iraq:

-Human Intelligence. Found out who's who, where, and when so that we can find and kill or capture terrorist leaders. Capturing is desirable as we can interrogate them and get further information.
    -Foreign Internal Defense. We need as many Army Special Forces A-teams on the ground as possible. SF is highly proficient in training people. With good training, the people of Iraq and Afghanistan will become more and more adept at fighting the badguys on their own.
    -Integration with the People. We have to be friendly with the people so they will be friendly with us. If we achieve this then we will get good intel from them on where the badguys are.

There has been talk of trying to offer hired guns in the taliban positions in the Afghan government but who knows if it will succeed. Trying to reason with the hardliners is silliness.

As far as current policy, IMHO the president seems fairly committed and sensible to our situations in these two countries. Max Boot and George Friedman both favor heavy increases in our deployment level in Afghanistan in order to cover more ground and weed out more badguys, and the President is following this course. He has not been hasty and impulsive in pulling out of Iraq, too, which is good, IMO. I do, however, wish that this presidency had not scrapped and declassified the highly effective and humane interrogation program that we had previously (they canned the program against the advice of the CIA).

There you have it: my humble opinion.
    Topic: Personality Tests
    Posted: Friday, April 9, 2010 2:31:46 PM
    Try the Keirsey Temperament Sorter.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
    Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.