Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 564
[0.07% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Lack of Sleep Could Shorten Lives
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:54:56 AM
I am unable to access the entire article, but this article explains why completing the sleep cycle is essential for our physical and mental well-being:

http://helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

I fall in the category of the sleep deprived and rely on a fairly heavy intake of caffeine to function throughout the day. Although we may seem to function adequately on little sleep, sleep deprivation not only takes a cumulative toll on our bodies, but also impairs judgment and reflexes. Perhaps that explains why Thomas Edison lacked, despite his genius, good decision-making skills.

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
Topic: NEED HELP!
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:31:27 PM
linkinsteinblues wrote:
Biodiversity supports our life by providing different kinds of beneficial services like climate, air quality, water purification, pollination and prevention of soil erosion.
is anything wrong?
thanks.

An alternate suggestion:

Biodiversity supports life by providing varied benefits in the form of climate, air quality, water purification, pollination and the prevention of soil erosion.

"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you"? -William A. Ward
Topic: Genome and Genes
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:01:30 AM
I thought genome referred to the genetic makeup of gnomes. Think

Topic: Drive A Plane!
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:54:48 AM
Note, too, that it can be said that a person operates a vehicle, an airplane, a vessel or a train. Someone can be said to steer a vessel or vehicle, but not an airplane or a train. Interesting that there can be some overlap, but few words can be used to reference all modes of transportation.

Topic: Spelling dilemna
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:43:30 AM
RARA wrote:
dingdong wrote:
Well, unless someone beats me to it, mine will be the 201st post in this thread. What is even more remarkable is that it has been viewed 33,000+ times. A vastly greater number than other threads, unless the stats are wrong. I am curious to ask, why is a minor spelling variation so fascinating to so many?

Most of the threads about grammar, spelling, English usage get scant attention.

What does this thread have that others don't? Is it the 'X' factor? The 'IT' factor? Is it scented with pheronomes? Is it dewy-eyed, and flushed with rosiness, so we fall in love with it? Is it utopia, ambrosia, or the second-coming?
Is it a knight in shining armour? A damsel in distress?
Ha! What? Why?

It's a real dilemma isn't it?

I think it is so interesting that so many people remember being taught it as dilemna and none of us can find a shred of evidence to back this up. That is what is so fascinating. It was not a mass hallucination, so why have so many people been taught this spelling?

Yes. There is a certain mystique about this topic that captures our imaginations.

Topic: NEED HELP FROM YOU GUYS!
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 10:19:03 AM
Christine has made some good revisions, but I would further revise thus:

Wildlife nowadays suffers from humans’ terrible and inhumane deeds that are beyond imagination. Habitats keep decreasing from year to year as the self-seeking and avaricious of mankind invariably steal their ‘homelands’ for their own advantage. As a consequence, wildlife is facing threats from humans’ destructive activities such as deforestation for the development of housing estates, clearing lands for accessible highways and for lumber.

Humans misuse their technology to urbanize their countries, and a wide range of industrial materials are derived directly from biological resources. Lumberjacks use ingenious money-earning machines to cut down valuable timber. Some law-opposing businessmen make fast money by co-operating with illegal furniture-making factories, especially those factories that are in the red. They seize the chance to earn income to overcome their monetary problems and stop the cycle of poverty.

Topic: Tall Men Have Higher Risk of Clots
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:58:22 AM
Seems logical that someone who is tall would suffer impaired circulation when compressed into a small space, thereby increasing the risk of clot formation.

Topic: Clog Dancing
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 4:29:44 PM
Clog dancing is a favorite pastime of plumbers. Angel I think it originated with native American plumbers.

Topic: Christine: An unreserved appology.
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 1:06:49 PM
I, too, enjoy Christine's posts and have noticed her progress. This site can be not only educational for those learning English and informative for native English-speakers honing their skills, but also therapeutic for people with certain medical conditions.

In any social community, there is always a risk of offending people unintentionally. I have later re-read comments I posted and realized they didn't sound the way I intended. If I have said anything to hurt someone's feelings, I apologize.

Topic: Spelling dilemna
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2010 10:47:10 AM
ariane wrote:
I'm not interested in proving anything to you people. I had a terrific education and am educated to PhD level and was taught to spell it this way and I do spell it that way. You do what you like. I see that you use, as a measure of how credible a poster is, how often they post - well I won't be posting here again so you can all safely dismiss me as being wrong.

I note that the non-British English people who post "oh, that's just wrong" are not asked to prove themselves.....

lol...carry on.....

I'm wondering what you mean when you say you learned to spell the word "this way" but spell it "that way"? Do you spell dilemma differently that how you were taught?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.