Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 51
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Etymology and synonymn of your "user name"
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 4:16:32 PM
Orual is a cold, harsh, unloving and unloved Queen in C. S. Lewis' retelling of the Cupid and Psyche myth: Till We Have Faces. Orual (+ 42, the answer the life, the universe and everything) is my impersonal internet persona, though in real life I'm a bit more loved and loving. Dancing
Topic: Either/Neither
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:05:43 AM
Both "E-ther" and "I-ther" are acceptable...I say "I-ther" and I'm told I sound like I'm from the Midwestern USA (though I've lived in the South all my life).

Both Einstein and Frankenstein (if not eider) are foreign... but yeah, even our normal, home-grown "ei" sounds are all over the map:

- eight
- weird
- receive
Topic: Any man may be in good spirits and good temper when he's well dressed. There ain't much credit in that.
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:57:58 AM
Marissa is commenting on my post (the 6th from the top), in which I included the paraphrased words of C. S. Lewis.
Topic: Doesn't homographs, homonyms and homophones make English language a little ambiguous ?
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:47:55 AM
I had to look up four words in your post, Kruger. Kudos.

Every language poses ambiguity for a novice. You have made an accurate statement of fact - yes, the English language has an uncomfortable number of opportunities for confusion. But my admitting that doesn't change, apologize for or help with the ambiguity. Anyway, in my opinion, French is much worse as far as homophones are concerned.

Like every student of his or her own language, I love mine, even with all its madness. :)
Topic: "Take a shower" or "Take shower"?
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:38:14 AM
that's interesting, suiko. It just goes to show that collocatives are quite specific.
Topic: Any man may be in good spirits and good temper when he's well dressed. There ain't much credit in that.
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:27:19 AM
It reminds me of a Jewish folk tale I read - a girl despised her suitor because underneath his elegant exterior, he was a coarse, mercurial man. So she took pains to remove him from his element, to a setting where he was tested in his character and patience and the unworthy man was shown to be the brute that he was before her entire family.

The moral: A truly fine gem retains its beauty even when plucked from a fancy setting and thrown down in the mud.

C. S. Lewis said something similar (I paraphrase): The true measure of a man's character is not what he does when given time and comfort to meditate over his actions, but rather what he does when he is shocked or surprised or uncomfortable. One doesn't blunder noisily down to the basement to see if there are rats, but rather tiptoes softly down to catch them in their tracks.
Topic: Suppose you read a paper magazine or an article online. Then you think you have a question.
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:20:28 AM
I've contacted authors before with questions about their work and sources. They've all been very agreeable so far.
Topic: good books to read while on vacation.
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:15:13 AM
kruger wrote:

If you are going to spend your vacation on a beach in solitutde, romantic novels would work very well if you are a kind of person who can enjoy reminiscing the indelible memories of the past relationships. In that case, try Eric Segal's "Love story".

I sincerely love your turn-of-phrase, Kruger. :)
Topic: The "En" prefixed words
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:12:55 AM
kruger wrote:
Yes..I agree with you..It is a french word. Similar words are "entourage, ensemble, entrepreneur"..these are all french words..but my humble question is how would you correctly pronounce "ensemble" without becoming acquainted with the word ?..also, how would you find out the etymology of it without referring to a dictionary.?

Unless you knew that "ensemble" was a French word - which presumes that someone told you or you referred to a dictionary - you would not pronounce it correctly. When I was a child, I pronounced many words incorrectly that I had read but never heard - it's just part of the process of learning a language.

The dictionary's the best place for basic word origins. It's not often something one can guess at successfully.
Topic: good books to read while on vacation.
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:09:29 AM
Vacation-length books (in my estimate):

Dostoyevsky's The Idiot or The Brothers Karamazov.

Steinbeck's East of Eden (Seriously, a BEAUTIFUL book)

Rand's Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged (if you're brave)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.