User Name: JPK
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 644
[0.07% of all post / 0.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why do We and the Universe exist?
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:29:15 PM
The correct answer is that we do not exist. Whistle
Topic: Is it possible to see the future?
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:44:24 AM
worldsclyde wrote:
Anth hit on a crucial point. How far in the future? I remember shoveling snow off of my roof when I stepped into some pine needles that I had neglected to clean before the snow fall. My feet shot right out from under me and I bounced once before clearing the edge and got a clear view of the icy ground 15 feet below. I remember looking at the ground rapidly approaching and thinking "that's the future!". I was right.

For the sake of debate, I don't think that there is a time limit on seeing the future, and that it is easier to see into a very near future. As painful as your experience sounds, I don't think you were seeing the future, you were seeing what was the most probable outcome. Though you hitting the ground was the most likely outcome (I estimate it had a 99.99999993141592653% probability), it could have gone a number of other ways.

1) Out of nowhere, a car bursts in your direction and saves you from a painful crash by making you crash even harder.

2) Someone uses one of the fabled watches that stop time, and you stay suspended in mid-air.

3) Your sasquatchlady jumps out of the front door and breaks your fall, leading to a touching but hairy love scene.
Topic: Is it possible to see the future?
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 1:07:48 PM
I don't know if some people can actually see the future, but I think it is a possibility. I deeply believe that there are a lot of things humans can do but just don't know they can, let alone how to do them. Seeing the future may or may not be one of them.

That said, if it is indeed possible, the witnessed future would be either set in stone or changeable through our actions. The former sounds a little grim, that would mean we only have an illusion of free will. The latter, well, would it be considered "the future" if it can be changed somehow?

Most of the discussion in this thread assumes that time is linear. But some people think that it is more like a loop. I don't quite grasp how that would work, and I'm not even sure if it is possible, but I like to think about all the possibilities. If time isn't linear, then the concept of a future is relative and it could be possible to witness it.

Someone mentioned dreams. I've always wondered if dreams were only manifestations from our subconscious or if there was more to them. Could they be visions from a parallel existence? I don't know where I was going with this, I just felt like voicing it.

I agree that Nostradamus's prophecies are incredibly vague and that they are not proof that he saw the future. It is very possible that he was a fraud, but just think about this one moment : if you somehow could see something from centuries in the future, would you be able to grasp everything that you are beholding? It may explain some of it. I don't know Nostradamus's story enough, did he say himself that his writings were prophecies? Maybe they were just some works of fiction that other people read too much into?
Topic: how does one dispose of an empty can of compressed air?
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 10:41:57 AM
haha, you people are funny! Applause

For the record, my can of air is still on the corner of my desk. I'm still using it as a dust gatherer / cubicle decoration for now. I'll keep you updated!
Topic: Help me articulate why this is incorrect
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 1:51:26 PM
I have to agree with you about the vagueness of the statement. I see that you are learning how hesitant people are about changing terms that they have used forever. Even if they are not grammatically correct or precise. Engineers are not linguists, therefore a change in terminology could completely throw them off, or make the engineers you work with appear like they speak martian to the other engineers who keep the previous terms.

I think your proposition would be much better (in an ideal world), but I have learned that it is harder than one would think to have a grammatically perfect text, especially when technical terms are involved. I think you are doing the right thing by building a case against the current term, but ultimately, you are not the one who will decide if your new term will be accepted. The best you can do is to explain why "probable hail-strike dent" is wrong. If you can include examples of why it could negatively affect business (beyond "it's grammatically inaccurate", which a lot of people don't care about... just read any document composed in legalese for confirmation), there is a higher chance of your coworkers being receptive. In the end, I think the big points are this:

1. Are claims adjustors having frequent contacts with engineers? If so, they might already understand their peculiar way of speaking.

2. Is it likely that anyone will debate the reality of the dent itself?

You can state your point and back it up with arguments, but you can't force anyone to agree with you. You are doing your job by bringing up your concern, and if they choose to disregard it, you can't take it personally. It may be hard at first, but you have to measure your success by the suggestions that ARE accepted and not the ones that aren't.

I wish you success in your convincin' and I hope you can stay zen!
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 12:21:34 PM
JJ: haha, didn't think of that... great idea!

Pocketmole: I am in Quebec City, and I am sure we have something similar to what you described. I think I'll go on the city's website to see if there is any info. Thanks for the info! By the way, I love your signature!
Topic: The Future Of The International Date Line
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 12:18:01 PM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I wouldn't mind if the Equator was moved some degrees to the north. We got the first snow (sleet) here last night. The next two or three months will be all dark, cold and wet. Yök!

Wow, that is brutal! Makes me feel a little better about today's cold autumn chill here in Quebec, though. Whistle

Oh, and I also thought the date line was straight. Thanks for the informative post!
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 9:11:04 AM
You know, the kind one uses to clean the crumbs from delicious snacks out of their keyboards?

There is absolutely no notice on the can about whether it is safe to put it directly in the trash. My first gut feeling is that it should be safe because whatever tiny remnant of air in there would not be called "compressed" anymore, but my second gut feeling is that JP does not want to be responsible for an explosion. I always think the can is completely empty, but when I check again a few days later, there is a tiny dose of air that trickles out.

So what do I do? Subtly leave it on someone else's desk to deal with?
Topic: The Annual Madness
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:44:05 PM
HWNN1961 wrote:
This Buffalo Bills team is bad on an epic scale.

I unfortunately have to agree with you. I don't know the team inside and out, but they probably could rival the Lions from two seasons ago. Can you see some light at the end of the tunnel? I really like Lee Evans and think that CJ Spiller could eventually become a superstar, but your QB situation is so awful that it's hard to get any kind of running game going. If I was the Bills' management, I would try to get Matt Leinart from the Texans. I mean, the guy has potential, and do you really have anything to lose? I think the Cards made a boneheaded move when they gave the QB spot to Derek Anderson and got rid of Leinart before they could have a chance to realize how awful Anderson was.

I guess the upside of cheering for an awful team is that you can't be disappointed since you already have no expectation.

I personally root for the Colts. I have adopted them several years ago when I saw how Peyton handles his offense. Some people think that it is annoying that he keeps changing plays at the line of scrimmage, but I feel that it shows how much he knows what he is doing. I mean, how many QBs are their own offensive coordinator? (The Colts do have an offensive coordinator, but he must get bored sometimes, everyone knows that it is ultimately Peyton who calls the shots.)

As a Colts fan, my Sunday was pretty frustrating even though we came up with the win. Peyton and the receivers seemed out of sync, but I will give credit to the Chiefs' defense as well. The important is that we won, but I don't think we can make it all the way to the Super Bowl if we don't put our game together.

The second game I followed that day was the Saints-Cards one. I don't know how much potential Max Hall has, but he went out there and did his job. And boy was he hit hard! I also suspect that the Saints' kickers have a curse on them and that no matter who handles the kicking duties, he will end up being awful. They might as well promote one of the cheerleaders to the kicking team. If nothing else, that would make a nice promotion stunt!

Okay, I have a question. Have I just been witnessing them more this year or is there an epidemic of blocked punts and kicks? I personally love that kind of awesome special teams plays, but they seem to happen awfully often lately!

For the record, my second favorite team is the Dolphins, who I adopted not very long ago. I love their creativity. And the wildcat, of course. For the not-footbally-inclined, the wildcat is an offensive formation where the ball is snapped directly to the running back while the quarterback is lined up as a wide receiver. For more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_formation

Wow, I have really rambled, sorry 'bout that!
Topic: "Untie" it
Posted: Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:50:26 PM
AnthA1G wrote:
@JPK, I hope she kidnapped that dude after we broke upPray .

I would think she did, since she had you and you would have found out about some poor dude tied in the basement. Oh, and she also loved you. Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.