The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: mariel
About
User Name: mariel
Forum Rank: Member
Occupation:
Interests:
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Last Visit: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:53:03 PM
Number of Posts: 26
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It does not matter much whom we live with in this world, but it matters a great deal whom we dream of.
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 12:23:31 PM
i don't get it...as far as i know, we're living in a real world..why wouldn't it matter whom we live with and instead give a higher consideration of whom we dream of?

i believe that most of the times, it's the dreaming that makes it harder to face the reality..because in our mind we already have conjured this "image" that in return we would look for with the "reality"..then alas, dissapointment..because people or things is most of the times different than what we are dreaming of..

Topic: One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 12:37:05 PM
war is definitely pricey, both for the winner side and the losing side..to teh extent that at the end you could almost say there's really no winner...

Topic: Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top.
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 7:33:08 AM
will wrote:
mariel wrote:
if all of the theist are vacuous(lacking intelligence) and you are an atheist(correct me on this if i'm wrong), then does this mean you are full of intelligence.... hmmmm Think


False dichotomy. Thanks to compartmentalization people can be both intelligence and theist.

Mariel, before when I referred to your comment as sounding stupid you read it as me calling you, personally, stupid. Now you've turned 'vacuous platitudes' into 'all theists lack intelligence'... enough with the persecution complex, it's not becoming.

What's with the quoting dictionary definitions?.. first peterwhatshisface and now you... and did you really slip 'Christian science' in there?.. with a spurious definition... Christian science makes my point well; just another one of many mutually exclusive religious cults. Never mind Zeus, there's little common ground 'twixt christian science and the regular Abrahamic bunch.


Why are you so grumpy will.. I was just merely asking you a question..your first statement could have been enough..as for the dictionary definitions thing, the truth is unlike you who is very articulate in english and "could be full of intelligence", i'm not..so i had to look for the meaning of vacuous in the dictionary.. is there something wrong with that..we've been quoting a lot of people's words anyway..why couldn't you put up with us quoting dictionary...tsk tsk tsk..you may want to watch yourself will or you'll just be grumpy over everything..not a good thing...
Topic: Yet it is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes comes to the top.
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 10:06:58 AM
will wrote:
If this seems at all tedious, do bear in mind the blame that lies at the door of theists shoehorning their personal delusions into every darn subject. If only one of you had the integrity (or ability) to step up and defend your vacuous platitudes, it might all be worth it.[/quote]

vacuous as defined by meriam webster: marked by lack of ideas or intelligence : stupid, inane...
intelligence(by meriam webster too) -1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) b Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind c : mental acuteness : shrewdness
3 : the act of understanding : comprehension

if all of the theist are vacuous(lacking intelligence) and you are an atheist(correct me on this if i'm wrong), then does this mean you are full of intelligence.... hmmmm Think
Topic: Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your...
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2009 9:41:29 AM
i have encountered several people, both personal and those that i've heard or read about, who doesn't believe in the God of the bible, and so far all of them have the same approach when stating their points, maybe because however logical or sensible or intelligent their points are they still couldn't seem to make a single point accepted..besides, all throughout this long discussions, i don't feel like i'm arguing with you anyway...there's no reason for me to do so..i'm very much convinced of the trueness of my belief..I still want to tell you about my God though..Because as i've said God believes in you..

As my last statement though, I'll tell you why you couldn't make a single point go inside our head.I'll tell why as you've said, you've been asking the same question to many theist you've encountered and they still couldn't give you an answer..it's because of faith!!!that same faith that we have about the existense of God is indeed illogical, as such no logical, or sensible explanation will be given to you, because the reason is beyond what your finite mind can comprehend..
Topic: Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your...
Posted: Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:56:56 AM
fred wrote:
mariel wrote:
(W)here is your faith with? Who do you believe in? I hope you beleive at least at the concept of God..at least you know that there is indeed a much higher divine person than you are..


Does faith make a god real?
Is believing in the concept of god the same as faith?
What is the difference between believing, faith, and knowing?


Hi fred, you're right.. I got your point.. I definitely did not express myself clearly at this one..thanks for making your point in a very un-attacking way.. believing, faith and knowing I agree have a certain degree of differences..
This is how I would differentiate the 3..You may agree or disagree on this though..
This is how he bible explain faith in Hebre 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Knowing is somehow based on something that you have proof of or evidence of.. believing is somehow closer to faith at a lesser degree..
Topic: Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your...
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:26:59 AM
Yes, thank you will for the patience on this topic. You not only make me practice my english but you also give me opportunity to tell you about my God.

I noticed that it's indeed your hobby to question anything about God. All of this started when I said the God believes in you even though you don't believe in God..Can you say the same about Zeus, that he loves me even if i don't beleive in him?

You ask me why I reject Zeus, first I still believe Zeus is just a myth, while God is not. Second why would I put my faith in somebody who not only for me is a myth but has lived a life of adultery, self centeredness and a lot more..

Why would I pick the God of the Bible rather than those other Gods that others worshipped..Why would i worship a sphinx? or a cat? or an elephant? And why would I not believe in the bible where there is no teachings there that would results for my destruction but rather for my own good.

You asked me if i was born in greece, who will I worshipped? Where are you leading me with this type of question? I asked you then, are all greece born person worshipped Zeus or are all Indian born person believes in Hinduism?and a lot more.. I'm sure you already know the answer...

How about you will, where is your faith with? Who do you believe in? I hope you beleive atleast at the concept of God..atleast you know that there is indeed a much higher divine person than you are..
Topic: Conventionality is not morality.
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:22:20 AM
Carmelo wrote:
If morality were determined by Conventionality,which convention should we use,which era? Real morality is the same always and for everyone, for it is not established by men.Think


i definitely agree with you Carmelo..Applause
Topic: Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your...
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:30:36 AM
will wrote:
Mariel, take your little speech and substitute God with Thor or Zeus or Quetzalcoatl or the pink unicorn in my shed and tell me, does it sound stupid to you? Therein lies the point userdw537 made about you 'not trying to learn and improve'.

So why do you reject Zeus?


will, you're definitely not different from userdw537..because you're also putting words into my mouth...i don't remember mentioning anything about zeus..God is based on the bible that I so believe In while Zeus is a greek mythology which i hope you're not really into and was just using to make your own point..

again exactly my point on being stupid..it's relative.. that's why i did not bother arguing you on that.. because you find my posts about God stupid..and I find yours trying to tell me to substitute my God with Zeus or pink unicorn not just stupid but ridiculous and foolish.. so see, it's who is telling who..and pardon me for not believing a single word on how you translated what usrdw537 meant with his posts..i'd rather wait for him to translate it for us.Speak to the hand
Topic: Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your...
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:19:31 PM
userdw537 wrote:
mariel wrote:
He is a He because He is the God the Father..

stupid or wise, in-articulate or fluent..i still believe God believes in you Will and all of us...Not just believe, but God actually loves us!!!Whistle

have a good day!!Dancing




i first thought will is a bit harsh; ok, god may love you, even if you are stupid! but you sure are not doing your god's people any good for not trying to learn and improve, it is no shame to admit to your folly or repent. i shall be like will, just ignore a barking dog.



at first i thought will is a bit harsh , but after reading your post, actually your harsher than will, you're not even factual, for that I would respect will more than you because now you're putting words into my mouth..
I didn't say anything about not trying to learn and improve.. i may not be articulate because english may not be my natural language..which actually is the real case..which means i'm actually improving..day by day..and as per being stupid.. i definitely did not acknowledged that..being stupid is relative.. i maybe stupid for him for telling him that God loves him and for saying those other words, but who knows, for some, those words mAYBE brilliant..
will may be bright in the standard of others..but certainly he's as stupid for some.. That goes with you as well.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.