User Name: will
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,036
[0.12% of all post / 0.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Conversational Terrorism: not quite politics but...
Posted: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:11:43 PM
An interesting and educating read for all fair minded readers.

Topic: Navy Confused As To What Was In Water
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:40:59 AM
There's a joke in here somewhere about 'swimming trunks'... but I can't be bothered to put all the bits together. Anxious

Topic: Japan marks 72 years since Hiroshima atomic bomb
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:36:38 AM
Romany wrote:
OK,I will admit that, for no reason I can think of, links don't work for me. I mean I just can't see them. They appear as blank space.Think

I had this problem a while ago. I raised it in this thread ... oh, wait. You probably can't see my link d'oh!

Anyway, it turned out to be my adblocker. Hope that helps some what... I can't do much about the 'other' nonsense. Whistle

Topic: North Koreans are coming. But where from?
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:29:49 AM
Of course the programme is edited for effect, but the point being made isn’t that all Americans don’t have a detailed knowledge of geography – although in a 2014 survey a quarter of Americans didn’t know the Earth revolved around the Sun, so there is a point to be made about the shocking state of education in the USA. Eh?

I think the (bigger, more important) point being made here is that an alarming number of people happily consider themselves to be informed enough to casually endorse military action against another nation – inevitably resulting in military and civilian deaths and increased global insecurity – yet are in reality are so ill-informed that they have no comprehension of the world, or it’s inhabitants, outside of their own blinkered existence.

The problem isn’t that some people cannot identify North Korea on a map (or indeed Europe, Canada or Australia), the problem is the trend away from honesty and balanced critical thinking toward societies where people are instinctively not inclined or prepared to say “I don’t know.” or admit “I don’t personally have enough knowledge on the subject to give you an informed answer.”

This is why the wave of anti-intellectualism that Trump is riding is so dangerous. There is a renewed belief that the right to an opinion means that all opinions are equally valid.

In my opinion.

Topic: Do You Know of Bacterial Empire?#40
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 9:26:25 AM
Anyone who believe the universe was divinely created for humanity should look into how insignificant, limited and disposable we are compared to bacteria.

Topic: Scale of the universe
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2017 7:04:22 AM
It’s just conditioning. Most of my posts are indecipherable. Shhh

Topic: Big BangTheory
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 2:10:44 PM
I was pleased to see the return of your name, Barnacle Barney Bill. I seemed to recall enjoying your previous posts... but this most recent one is complete nonsense, full of flawed assumptions and logical fallacies.

Have you suffered a blow to the head since we last saw you, or was I remembering you incorrectly? Think

Topic: Meanwhile in Finland
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 2:01:55 PM
FounDit wrote:
...5 pages of rebuttal and defense of climate change caused by one single dissenter? Five pages! Wow.

It’s not really 5 pages of rebuttal – for that you would have had to present a valid argument to rebut – and it’s not really 5 pages of defence; the issue is settled, there is nothing we, not being experts, can add here that will effect the political, scientific and economic consensus.

It didn’t go unnoticed that you chose, once again, to resort to ad hominem rather than answer my question and say which countries other than USA, Syria and Nicaragua are not part of the political consensus that makes up the Paris agreement, or to name just one scientific body of national or international scientists that reject the scientific consensus on anthropic climate change.

The problem with your overuse of hubris and name calling is that it quickly gets boring and loses its effectiveness at disguising what you are trying to avoid.

Lotje1000 wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think this is what will refers to as 'moving the goal posts'. Feel free to correct me on that, will .

Yes, you are correct. I assumed ‘moving the goal posts’ was internationally understood, my apologies for the assumption

So for example:

Someone sees a picture with snow in it and claims it refutes the myth that global temperatures are rising and melting all the ice caps and snow on the planet

It’s pointed out that weather is not the same as climate, and that the climate is warming due to increased greenhouse gases and this is leading to weather extremes

They change their argument from rising temperatures being a myth – they move the goalposts – to claim rising temperatures are short term natural cycles and all you can prove is cycles because there has never been any evidence of a cycle that hasn't reversed itself.

It’s pointed out that that same evidence for natural cycles is not just short term evidence, it goes back thousands of years and the current increase in temperature, that coincides with increased CO2 emissions, is unprecedented.

They move the goalposts to claim that no one can predict the future, in weather or anything else.

It’s pointed out that predictions of most likely future outcomes, based on current data, is actually exactly how science, economics and societies work.

They move the goalposts from the initial claim of ‘or anything else’ to separating everything else we predict from climate change which is predicting a future for which there is no evidence

It’s pointed out there is overwhelming evidence.

They move the goalposts to claim the evidence has been manipulated and is not definitive.

It’s pointed out that the evidence is definitive, according to the overwhelming scientific consensus, and it would require an unimaginable global conspiracy for that consensus to have manipulated the evidence without peer review picking it up.

They move the goalposts to claim that it is lies and half-truths to say there is an overwhelming consensus.

It’s pointed out that that every Government (bar three) have signed the Paris Agreement and that every single scientific body of national or international scientists supports the consensus. And it’s asked that the lies and half-truths accusation be backed up by some counter examples

They move the goalposts to a post of pure ad hominem attacks and a smugness that barely conceals their damaged pride.

It’s pointed out that their lack of credibility is largely their own fault.

They move the goalposts almost full circle and begin again the process of misrepresenting and stereotyping the global consensus on climate change as a liberal conspiracy of human hating eco-nutjobs.

And whine in another thread about how unfair everyone is. Boo hoo!

Topic: Senate Health Care Bill failure and the Trump coalition
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 1:40:01 PM
FounDit wrote:
I liked this post, Hope. There is much in it we could discuss, and I think agree on, but unfortunately, it has been my experience that such would not be the outcome. I truly wish we could do that, but too often I find my words changed to mean something I didn't say or intend, and then find four or five others coming at me as well, doing the same thing. It just isn't worth the time and effort. It becomes exhausting to challenge ephemeral rationalizations and trolling.
Ahh... poor baby. If you have the integrity, read back the tread you are clearly referring to and see who starts, and continues, the hubris and the name calling and the stereotyping. You reap what you sow.

Topic: Is religion the opium of the people?
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:31:52 AM
Looks like you need to clear up exactly who is the redneck, leonAzul.

I'm certain it's not me. I spend way too much time indoors. Shhh

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.