Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13,979
[1.58% of all post / 4.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: wrong or wrongly
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:42:25 PM
Audiendus -

I know that quite a few Brits now eschew adverbs too, but in this particular context I really haven't really heard anyone fall into that wrong/wrongly dilemma in a long time.

If they aren't the kind of person to use the word "incorrectly", in my experience people are more likely to say "I got your name wrong" "I didn't get your name right." or something along those lines.

magically, using "got" for "spelled" or "spelt" makes the whole "wrong/wrongly question go away!
Topic: ordinary life
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:16:13 PM

I would argue that the "ordinary person" is no longer someone who lets moral or religious ideals restrict their search for luxury and status. So he isn't the "ordinary man."

The most common way of describing such a way of life is as being "simple". "They live a simple life, in the countryside."

This indicates that they have made a conscious decision to live like that for aesthetic reasons regardless of income factors..
Topic: conditioNAL
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:01:48 PM
Thinking about it in BE: yes. we do have the saying which includes "If I were you I would/woudn't ..." do something.

But it also common for us simply to sshare with a person what we, ourselves, would do. not what we'd do if you were in your shoes - what we, in our own life/experience, would do.

This is easily indicated if the two are in complete disagreement|: - A. may be considering letting someone in - for various reasons. B, for a variety of reasons, would not let the person in. B is just making A aware that his response would be different to A's

"I'm going to jump out of this trench in a minute and open fire.|"
"I wouldn't."

It doesn't mean that if I were you I wouldn't. You're keen for a fight and looking to die in a blaze of glory.Of course that's what you'll do. I'm acknowledging that, yep; you probably will indeed do that. But I, being tired of war and beginning to see the futility of it, would not do that in a million years.

Which is how I read the sentence the first time:|B is saying that is the course of action they would take.Because they've just found out the caller is a serial killer? Because the caller has really bad halitosis? He doesn't say.

He just puts it out there:|A can choose whether to ask why or can open the door and find out.

I've just made something simple into something very complicated, I suspect. But wanted to explain why I found "If he does show up, I wouldn't let him in." perfectly unremarkable when I read it: I had just automatically interpreted it with a slightly different meaning for it to make sense.
Topic: Another pretty little americanism
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 3:18:54 PM
Lazarius,

Why it's called an "Americanism" is because American girls were renowned for the way they spoke which, to the "Society" of the day was considered shocking and broke all the rules of Society. But the younger set thought it "refreshing".

The point of the joke isn't meant to make you laugh as to make a social comment - to both sides of a question. It's |Satire.

English women of the time were still very proper:a "nice" girl never mentioned her nether regions; or admitted to discomfort in public; or would draw attention to the fact that she had been by herself rather than up for every dance.

And the standard formula for asking/accepting for a dance was laid down in etiquette books.

But to the young people of the time, though not many would be brave enough to break their own cultural rules,it was exactly the way they wished they could express themselves. It was marvelous.

And of course, no-one could deny that many of these young American girls were attractive; many too had lots of money.
So the young heirs to great families were making marriages more and more between the two "norms".Some people thought all of Society - if not of England! - would be ruined.Others thought that it was about time they stopped doing/saying the things they did just because that's how it had been for the past 40 years. It was an "Issue" of the time amongst the upper middle class.

|Thought it's written in a cartoon format it isn't a joke. Satire causes wry amusement, not belly laughs:- a huge difference

The cartoon made readers of the time (and now)look at all sides of the question, and made them think about their own position. And of how important it really was.

(Sorry this is so long, but understanding British satire is often necessary to understanding when we're joking and we aren't in normal conversations.)
Topic: Another pretty little americanism
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 1:52:23 PM
Oh yes,the impulse to snigger at every sentence ever uttered utilising any meaning but the one dealing with meaningless sexual activity; lies deep in the heart of every 'Strine speaker.

Because it also has underlying comedy value in Australia by being really coarse|: so if an Aussie was describing the Royal Wedding and said "Then they went home for a good root." it would be hilarious, on a number of levels, to Aussie-speakers everywhere!
Topic: to broil
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:18:15 AM
"Broil" is an American usage that confused me for years - and which I still often mistake for "boil. "

In UK it seems to be "grill" that's used. In Australia it's just "barbeque" and in South Africa it's " braai ".

Guess it depends on where one lives?
Topic: On Political Correctness
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 7:07:15 AM
In my own experience: all universities have style guides. One commonality between the style guide for every uni I've ever written for is that gendered language is not to be used.

Straying from their style guide is not enforced very strictly in First Year as the difference between academic writing and non-academic writing is the focus...And it's a huge turn around for most students: and getting them to absorb the difference been objective and subjective language is the main thrust.

By Second Year this should be automatic and compliance with the style guide is stressed, so all departures from it are flagged in student work .By Third year every student should be aware that the style guide is not optional: despite the word "guide". It's integral to the discipline of academic writing. Marks are subtracted for non-compliance with The Guide whether it concerns the lay-out of their Bibliography; acceptance of punctuation norms or gendered language.But

A lecturer who allows a student to flaunt or ignore the style-guide because of personal ideology is failing their students and this will be reflected in the overall rate of their students marks: thus reflecting on their own competence.

The Reader of student's final thesis Is not usually the individual lecturer. Readers will mark down any student whose work strays from the parameters by which marks are awarded.

It may not be a "rule" that a lecturer subtract marks for failure to adhere to the style guide; but if one wants to do the best they can to ensure a student gets the best marks they can for their future, they'll train them not to risk losing marks on their Final there's for avoidable errors which will annoy Readers.

Also, remember that my subject is the English language: whether other disciplines such as IT or Maths are so stringent is questionable. And also I have no idea whether any of this applies to North American universities, where the the whole subject of gendered language still seems to be confusing and controversial.

Topic: or vs nor
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:47:52 AM
Quick rule of thumb: "no" takes " nor"; "any" takes " or". eg "No interruptions nor questions will be allowed." " Any student or parent who interrupts will be asked to leave. "

Of course this doesn't always apply in the same way "neither/nor" and "either/or" does - which is why I said it's a "rule of thumb", but it can be a rough guide to what might be wrong in a sentence.
Topic: Get me started
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:27:10 AM

Although it can be used in a hostile way meaning "Don't say/do anything that will cause me to lose my temper." that isn't the way it's usually used ( at least in BE). Only a bully would put the responsibility of losing their temper on to someone else.

Commonly we use it in a self-depreciating way. It's a kind of short-form for saying"I know that I can be very boring and talk forever about (a certain subject.) So if I start to bang on about it shut me up. " or "Don't start talking about (a certain subject) or I'll derail the conversation to talk about that and nothing else." . ..because it's a subject I feel really passionate about.

As many regulars here know, I love the whole subject of the History of the English language. If a passing reference to that comes up in a post I've sometimes written "Don't let me even get started on that." because I know if someone asks me a question about it I'll go on and on about it and either bore everyone to tears: or take the thread into a different direction than the one the OP wants to know about.

Tone, context and the speaker's own personality ensure that we don't mistake the bullying meaning for the other one.

Topic: Did You Know? #3 - Print File Formats
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:20:49 AM
Hey Bob,
Not so long ago we had a pretty robust thread on which the difference between an a acronym and initialization was soundly established and explained. The fact that some people choose to use "acronym" for both forms was also clarified .

However as some learners may have missed that thread your reminder is important. As this is a language site - and some students may be destined for academic positions - your post may make a difference between a pass or fail mark for some. Or at least give some the impetus to find that thread, or to look up the difference for themselves so they can choose whether to observe the difference or not.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.