Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13,565
[1.57% of all post / 4.31 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: make of
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 8:49:34 AM
Hi Aoronly -

Unfortunately your sentence isn't quite right. It should be "Training has made him a stronger man."

"made of" used in the way you have used it above is a very old-fashioned kind of English which isn't used in modern times.

In modern English "make of" (or "made of" past tense) is only used colloquially as "What do you make of that?" = "What do you think of that?" "Well, I told them, but I don't know what they made of it." = "I told them, but I don't know what they thought about it."

Topic: 'how to know.....' is incorrect.
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 8:12:42 AM

In English we don't say "How to know". We use the following patterns: -

"How can I tell if " 'there' is used as an adverb....?"
"How would I be able to tell if " 'there' is used as an adverb...?"
Is there any way to tell if " 'there' is used as an adverb...?"

However, I think your main question should always be "Does it matter if "there" is used as an adverb...?" because a lot of the detail you ask about makes absolutely no difference to the way we either speak or understand the English language.

One other detail: saying "You think...." is very, very annoying. Telling another person what THEY think is neither normal nor polite in OUR language. (Maybe it's ok in yours?)

Have you not yet even noticed that quite a few people get irritated when you tell them "You think...." ? Or that when you tell someone "You think..." they often respond "No I DON'T think that..." before going on to explain they were just giving you a reason for something.

What they actually THINK about that rule/pattern/way of doing things, is unimportant: but no-one likes to be told by someone else what they are thinking. (Which is just about impossible to know, anyway.) Our thoughts are private.

THESE are the kinds of things you should be learning now: how to ask questions without upsetting other people; learning to speak what is considered "polite" language; trying to understand what is acceptable and what is not acceptable to say in a foreign language; not giving offence by asking a question in English that no English speaker would ever ask.

For every student I've ever taught, these are the FIRST things they want to know before they even start trying to use the language with native speakers. Please, please try to learn more about the WAYS in which we talk to each other in English.
Topic: Rather than
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:20:54 AM
Doom - the two parts of the sentence have to match up.

If 'the reason' is "interest in the subject", its corollary is "meeting other people".

However, you also have an untethered "their" in the subject. Who does it belong to? You haven't mentioned any people. You are talking about 'reasons' not 'people. "The reason" is inanimate.

People enrol out of "interest" in the subject; they DON'T enroll over "the need/the imperitive/the desire" of meeting other people."

(Its Sunday am. I've just woken up. If this is unclear it's because I've not had my 2nd cup of coffee. Perhaps someone more awake will make it clearer.)
Topic: Conclusively
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 7:01:27 AM

I expect the "closest" would be "definitively".

I think that you, Doom, are using synonyms in the right way: i.e. to try to get an idea of how the word is being used in a sentence.

But I can't let the opportunity slip of reminding learners that synonyms are not interchangeable. Each word is similar but each word has its own, separate meaning.
Topic: Could It Really Happen That Way?
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:14:43 PM

And now, as though his lack of respect for women hasn't been shown enough, he's seeking to overturn Roe V Wade??

I don't expect for even a passing second that he has any idea of the significance of this landmark case. I'm willing to bet money he has never read any of the millions of pages that have been written about it. It goes without saying he'd be pig-ignorant of what Roe V Wade did for American women.

But someone does - they must have popped a note into his cheeseburger - and couldn't be any more transparent about the contempt which this Admin. feels about women. They used the subtlety of a bloody sledgehammer!
Topic: (the) colic
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 7:54:49 PM

Ah - now that's a word I've never heard uttered!

Antipodean babies don't suffer from itWhistle Whistle
Topic: (the) colic
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 7:43:55 PM

And yet, strangely, we mums don't say a colicky baby has "the" colic - we don't use the article in that case. Don't know if it's the same in AE.

Maybe, if it's the infant complaint we don't use an article, to differentiate between the affliction that horses and adults have?
(Maybe that's complete hogwash?)

Topic: Could It Really Happen That Way?
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 3:08:52 PM

Do the thugs in WH actually know that there is no other government in the world that sticks a "Gone fishin'" sign on the door and just fecks off and leaves the country to stew in their own juices?*

Hasn't a single one of them even considered how this looks to the rest of the world? Do they not realise that the next time they want to kill thousands of civillions in some far-away country in order to introduce them to "Democracy", no-one will be able to swallow that tired old meme again? Former "allies" are not going to be inclined to let them, any more?

I thought I got it for a while. But I'm totally confused and incredulous now because none of this is even sane! How could even Drumph's band of ethically challenged Admin. purposefully hold up their machinations to scorn and ridicule in front of the entire globe? Can they really, hand-on-heart, expect that people and governments aren't seeing any of this? Aren't watching?

And THESE are the ones who bang on about patriotism and their own superiority: and America being "great"?

Yes, I now know it's money and nothing other than money that drives politics in the USA. But even so, don't the owners of that money care about protecting their investment i.e. the good name and reputation of their country? Don't they need contacts and alliances? I find it absolutely like something out of an 18thC satire! These money-grubbing, immoral and completely worthless human beings have sold their country out - but hey, they got considerably more than 30 pieces of silver out of it!

Sorry to get all passionate about it; but I think of all the millions of people over there who are having to live through this fiasco, and my heart breaks into a thousand pieces.

*Yes - Australia sort-of did once. But at the helm there was still the Governor-General and, of course, The Queen. And nobody's wages were stopped. It didn't affect anyone else. The pollies (politicians) has been acting like spoilt kids so they were all sent to the naughty corner to think about it.
Topic: order of adverbs
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:05:24 PM
I expect by now you've heard us say many, many times that the shorter, and simpler the better? The corollory of this is that each word that IS used means something. Because we chuck our redundancies.

Thus, when we put in qualifiers = 'normally', 'often', 'usually', 'mostly', 'comparatively', 'conventionally' they're used for a purpose: i.e. to highlight that whatever-it-is doesn't always pertain.

(Except for many Brits like me who often use "rather" instead of "terribly, horribly, life-threateningly, cataclysmically." e.g.
"I'm feeling rather poorly" = I'm about to die. "I was rather pleased." = I was ecstatic, "I was rather miffed." = I'm off to throw myself under a train because of it!)
Topic: The kinds of the doer - Hidden subjects
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 1:41:18 PM

You heard from some Scottish expatriate (qualifications?) in America........and this qualifies you to tell native speakers of English they are wrong?

So, if you "hear" from some French person in Morocco that your Arabic is incorrect, will you tell Yemenis that the way they speak Arabic is incorrect?

I'm not 'having a go' here; merely continuing to try to get you think about MEANING.

Words are powerful; they can hurt, offend, disgust, start wars. They can also bring about peace, facilitate understanding, express love.

The whole purpose of langue is to communicate with others.The way we do that is by meaning. Words and phrases which mean the same to us both. And all the nuance, symbolism, cultural differences are the most important. Take, for example, the para. below. It has nothing to do with grammar but shows how the meaning behind a sentence can change due to context and the way that effects meaning.

"We can appreciate how someone can mean more than they `strictly speaking' say by considering the same thing said in two different contexts. Consider two people, Pat and Chris, who are getting to know each other on a first date. If Chris says to Pat at the end of the evening, "I like you a lot.", Pat will likely feel good about the situation. But imagine that Pat and Chris have been dating for some weeks, and Pat asks, "Do you love me?" Now if Chris says, "I like you a lot," the reaction will likely be quite different, as Chris' statement is taken as a negative answer! (https://www.linguisticsociety.org/resource/meaning-semantics-and-pragmatics)

Grammar is only a -very poor - attempt to describe how English is used.It doesn't always get it right.

The English language as it is used and understood by English speakers, is not RULED by grammar, but by meaning.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.