Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12,608
[1.50% of all post / 4.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: plain water
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 5:46:30 AM

If we asked for "plain water" in the UK however, we would still be handed a bottle - with "Pure Spring Water" or some such, on the label.

The only way to make it plain that you want tap water is, I'm afraid, to ask for "tap" water.
Topic: ward
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 5:32:52 AM

If it's a room for a single patient we call it a private room.

It it's a room for two patients we call it a "Two-bed Ward", and for four patients a "Four-bed Ward"

Anything over that is a General Ward.

But I don't think these are set in stone: the nomenclature may vary in non-NHS (i.e. private) hospitals.
Topic: Umlaut
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 5:17:21 AM

Ah-hah! Lack of umlauts on our album covers explained: they were purchased in China!

My son reminded me: -as China's domestic market is not as demanding as its overseas market, a lot of the stuff we bought there were knock-offs and copies - and while most of them are reasonable facsimiles they're not perfect.(In fact, between us all we have a collection of t.shirts that are hilarious due to this!).

I was mystified when I saw all the images WITH the umlauts and compared them to ours: - but I guess all it proves is that we were conned with knock-offs too...and would never have known had it not been for this thread!

Topic: unlike me/myself
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 6:28:26 AM

Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1, my bad then!Dancing

You've said, from time to time, that you love words and learning new ones, so I had thought talking about words and how they're used might have been of interest to you.

That's the only reason I brought that up, so not to worry: words -their etymology, changing meanings and usage - are my ruling passion within English, but I try very hard (with differing success!) not to rabbit on too much about them if they aren't of interest to other people.

ps Though I still consider the use of the word "mundane" indisputably incorrect in this context.Whistle Whistle
Topic: While terrorists plan their next move, New Jersey CBP officers have "fun" on the job!
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 6:15:13 AM

As the most 'fair', 'middle of the road', 'open-minded' person on the Forum, I'm sure Parsar will never forgive me if I don't point out - in a spirit of fairness and open-mindedness - that his definition of a sanctuary city is countered by this one: -

"The policy was largely symbolic. City officials didn’t have the power to outright stop the federal government from deporting people in their community. But in the spirit of America’s founding principles as a nation of immigrants, sanctuary cities act as a protective shield, standing in the way of federal efforts to pinpoint and deport people at random."

I'm neither defending or attacking the actual policy. Just objectively providing the other definition so people can make up their own minds - exactly as Parsar so consistently suggests.

And yeah, Tuna, whoever that lone, single "he" is, his feet must be hideously sore, if "everyone" is determined to keep him en pointe! Dancing
Topic: A vine climb master
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 5:32:47 AM

Ah, so that's where I've been going wrong, then?Boo hoo!
Topic: unlike me/myself
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 5:26:17 AM

"Mundane"? You'll have to defend that position.Drool

Where is "couple-colour" used so often and so ubiquitously that it has become run-of-the-mill, ordinary, tedious or boring? What is the definition of "couple-colour" which, being "mundane" must surely feature in every dictionary? Where else have you heard the sky compared to a cow so often that it's now commonplace and boring?

It would seem that you didn't actually read the rest of the poem then, which was part of my argument: for I defy any user of language not to find Hopkins work different to that of any other English writer in the entire canon.It's only two stanzas but two stanzas which rocked the English-speaking world when they appeared (Hopkins dates are 1844 to 1889) and he revolutionised poetry.

His facility for expression, his mastery of English, the things he did with the language, have been copied for generations but never equalled. Which was exactly why I used him to make my point: one can play with, experiment, twist the English language in really unique ways, but one must START from a position of solid knowledge of "good" and not merely "acceptable" English.

Topic: Should there be a comma after 'Thomas"?
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 4:42:49 AM

The only reason it sounds a bit funny to me is because only the man's first name (or is it his family name?) is used. This isn't something we'd usually come across in a newspaper.

However, am pretty sure others will offer their opinions here, so if you are dubious, it might be a good idea to wait and see what the consensus is?
Topic: A vine climb master
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 4:37:13 AM
JJ
Hah! Something else I've just learned!

Have only ever heard/seen the word "liana" in one of Australia's most beloved poem "My Country": -

"Green tangle of the brushes,
Where lithe lianas coil...."

All through Primary school most of us thought a "liana" was some kind of snake!! However, even when we had learned it meant a vine, we weren't told it was a generic word, so have thought it was the name of a specific kind of vine-like plant!

I'm really glad I read your post!!
Topic: Umlaut
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 4:28:28 AM

JJ -

As a speaker of a so-called "romance" language, I had no absolutely no idea what a "metal umlaut" was - so thanks so much for that.

Equally, I'd never seen Motley Crue or Motorhead so bedecked with umlauts, either. I went and checked the album covers on our shelves and none had them. So I'm guessing perhaps that the umlauts only appear on album covers in countries where the umlauts IS used. Even though the article says it isn't used to change pronunciation? That surely is a very confusing way to present them?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.