Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12,189
[1.47% of all post / 4.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Scale of the universe
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:06:47 PM
HeyThink

How come Will gets to make an indecipherable post entirely scott-free!

No fairNot talking

Contrariwise, if Will's was perfectly understood, how come mine was indecipherable?Boo hoo! Boo hoo!

I shall go and stamp my little foot!

(Edit for two typos)
Topic: a hole punch/puncher
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:54:52 PM

Koh -

The more common is "hole punch" but some people do say "puncher." It's not really obligatory to use one or the other - its just habit, I guess.
Topic: Which one is correct?
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:50:35 AM

Well, after all Nancy's work, I'm not quite agreeing with her.

I know that in China people say 'during' Spring break. And I don't see much wrong with it. We say "During the Christmas break."

I think we'd say 'on' a particular day, like Xmas Day, or 'on' Dragon Boat Race Day. But not on a period of time such as Xmas/Spring/NewYear breaks.

And I do agree that 'at' might be used as well.

Topic: Argus
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:35:09 AM

Now that I have toured the Heineken (?) Brewery in Amsterdam and seen for myself what beer looks like brewing (pretty awful, actually. Smells horrid.) I realise what a good word it is. Unless it's being used, as NK showed, for weather, then 'trouble' brewing would look exactly like brewing beer: grey, scummy, yellowish bits and a dreadful smell!
Topic: letting in the clutch (when driving a car)
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:28:22 AM

I would have thought so: "Indian" isn't an offensive word. People from France are French, from England are English, and from India are Indian. People's nationalities aren't offensive: just the words some people use to describe that nationality.

In the Playschool my kids went to they'd sing the song that the title of the book is based upon, as "Ten Little Indians" and I've noticed the kids here do too so it has to be OK, I guess.
Topic: In-Text Citation Format Question
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:48:19 PM

Looks like this bot/spammer/troll can read letters but not numbers - it's trying to influence historical personages!
Topic: Argus
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:42:49 PM

Brewing is a proces (most familiar in making alcohol) where the different ingredients are put into a pot, stirred and then left. They sit there bubbling steaming and allowing the chemical processes which will eventually produce beer/spirits, to work. And we always have to keep an eye on things that are brewing...they can explode or blow up in our face, if we aren't careful.

That's why it's a word often paired with 'trouble'. "Trouble's brewing" is a very common usage in English. i.e. all the ingredients for a big blow-up - whether it's political, financial, military etc. - have been jammed in a pot together. We all have no chance now but to stand back and see if it will explode or make some smooth, aromatic, drink!
Topic: fate
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:31:22 PM
Nani - I'm glad something that was said here actually 'spoke' to you. We throw lots of words out of our mouths every day, but we never know where they're going to land, do we?
Topic: letting in the clutch (when driving a car)
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:39:31 AM

I've been waiting for someone here to mention it - but the title? Of the book?

Thing is, the book is no longer published under that name - in fact I don't think it has been since the '50s. It's called Ten Little Indians now, I think.

We have no idea how many black posters we have here on TFD, nor how many read these pages. But, as we are a public Dictionary Site I think we should be clear in saying that the word nigger in the original title of this book above - written in another era - is now considered to be the worst word in the American lexicon - and is offensive to other people all over the world from Africa to Papua New Guinea? And we aren't sanctioning its use.

And Kirill, mate, no-one is saying anything about you just about a word. One that is considered not sexually offensive, but racially offensive.

(As the poster is learning English no-one, I hope, would take offence. But BECAUSE he is learning English, I think it's better to explain & risk a possible minor embarrassment, now than a possible black eye later on!!Speak to the hand )
Topic: I spent an hour putting the machine together and I'll be damned if it didn't fall apart as soon as I tried to use it.
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:51:26 AM

Ashwin - I think you'll find the question has already been answered by FD and I. The sentence does not deal with the future ("it will be...") It deals with the past. ("I spent" & "damned if it didn't...").

Neither does it mention whether the failure of the machine will affect the speaker. The speaker only gives the information about what has happened - "It fell apart". Whether this will have any effect on the speaker isn't mentioned. So we can't just make something up and put it in there: we have to deal with what the original sentence actually says.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.