User Name: Romany
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Home Page
Number of Posts: 13,893
[1.59% of all post / 4.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Put the blame on...
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:11:13 AM
The paragraph is about "Leaders who cannot recover..." .

"Well-meaning colleagues, families and friends" thinking to help, may lay blame on others so that the "leader" will feel better.

This isn't a good idea ("can be more damaging than helpful") as it will confuse the "Leader" even more.
Topic: gerund
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:01:15 AM

Actually, I see no reason "Performing better than him will make him angry..." can't be used for both instances - I certainly would.

If you are talking to a specific person, they will understand you mean "those who perform better" make him angry- which, of course, includes the person you are talking to. So "your" is unnecessary.

"Performing better than him will make him angry" also informs that "anyone" doing it will make him cross - so 'someone' is equally redundant.

I agree with pjharvey that the grammatically correct pronoun is "he" - and would write it that way in any formal context. However, in casual conversation such as this, the average English speaker - correct or not - will use "him" as "he" sounds jerky and forces one to pause, as for a comma, after the "he".
Topic: How about? vs. What about?
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 5:09:06 AM

Well both are slang terms - it's difficult to make "rules" for this kind of informal English. But I too would find no difference, in making a suggestion, between the two.
Topic: notice
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 11:06:01 AM

Oh, I don't think so. I'm not saying for a moment that some people wouldn't use 'were'.

But, in this instance, I, at least, would find "are" more natural.

If you're gleaning information from a person's profile, it would be current information. They've put "Australia" as where they are in the present.I'd find it much more natural to use the present to ask the question.
Topic: proficiency
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:51:04 AM
Yeah, it amuses me greatly that the world of ESL i.e. "English" teaching has now developed jargon of its own!

Topic: him/her
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:44:21 AM

That was so clumsy and painful to read! There are very few occasions when we actually have to use he/she. (And when we do, we it is expressed as s/he).

If someone finds themselves caught up in a tangle of personal pronouns they should just take a deep breath and then rephrase what they are saying.Speak to the hand
Topic: it was too close in the library with the lamp on
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 10:28:35 AM
Yes - being a cold country we have lots of words for inside atmosphere!

One of my favourites is a "fug": it's way beyond "close"! If you're sitting in a fug it's very, very warm and the fug is a mixture of smoke, stale air, peoples breath....maybe a smell of alcohol. And yes, that really IS claustrophobic!
Topic: it was too close in the library with the lamp on
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 5:05:38 AM
Well no, I didn't mean to imply that it had been said: just that this would link the two actions together. Narratives aren't set down in a linear fashion: - "It was a warm night. She stood in the porch. Then she went into the garden. She went into the garden because it was too warm inside. She couldn't read inside because the library was too stuffy."

We have to pick up the clues ourselves by putting two and two together. That's why we are always on about "context".

(Does that make sense - do you know what I mean?).
Topic: ...many of them Generals,...
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:25:45 AM

Whichever one is used is perfectly fine - just a matter of choice.
Topic: Could do with + ?
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2018 4:21:41 AM
While both NK and palapaguy find the second set "strange", they are perfectly fine in BE and commonly used, though as Drago says, not in formal English.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.