Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 13,114
[1.54% of all post / 4.26 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ...since a child...
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:52:25 AM

"Since a child..." is a very common usage in Asia. It's not what native speakers say, but it seems to be used in quite a few countries.
Topic: A rumbling
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:46:47 AM

Foundit =

I would use "can" and not "do" in BE but, to tell the truth, have no idea if that's just me, of if BE/AE patterns are different.
Topic: downs vs wolds
Posted: Sunday, November 19, 2017 5:40:42 AM

I had read about the Norfolk site - but the image was the only one I've seen. But hadn't heard a dicky-bird about the Bromley one or being used as an air-raid shelter.

Thanks to both of you - have been fascinated by the geology here since I saw my first "bungaroosh" walls and houses here in Sussex.

Sarries - have no idea what the Autumn International is, but yesterday was certainly a good day to stay home and watch TV!!
Topic: ...when eating away from home.
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:27:53 PM

I'm not arguing against the usage - but it doesn't sound familiar. In fact, it sounds a tad weird.

So I tried to think what I called it back when 4 kids in the household were milk-allergic.

And I realised we didn't reference "eating" at all, we'd use "when you're away from home..."

Topic: she’s got quite a chassis
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:11:40 PM

And a Latin one for botany.
Topic: she’s got quite a chassis
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:11:39 PM

And a Latin one for botany.
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 7:31:48 AM

Thar - I have come to love living among the South Downs; and coming across fabulous fossils about the cliffs...and the birds! (Though the tap water is rotten and full of chalky sediment!)

But one thing. I see now the formation...but where does flint come into it? As you'll know there is evidence that this area was like Piccadilly on a Saturday night back in the Neolithic. It's believed that flint from here was fetched, worked, traded, all over England - and evidence that some made it over to Europe has also come to light. I've worked on, or visited quite a few digs since I've been here but, unfortunately, the weather here makes it rather a miserable experience for me! Very different to African sites!!

Anyway, In the scenario you outlined above what role does the flint play? Where and at what time? And, finally, is having so much flint in our chalky environment unusual?

Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:30:16 PM

There's an area of downland around Sydney, but 'wolds' is not familiar either there or in Africa. And yet, I guess, such geographical features do occur on these continents?

(And yes, if you came across that hill after driving across Australia for days it would be as impressive as Kilimanjaro, too!)
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 2:40:52 PM

Well, Thanks Thar,

Having but recently come to downs and wolds, I was a little uncertain myself.

I knew, from my childhood, that Dunstable Downs were hills (that my elder cousin was wont to push me down. For which he was rewarded by being the one to find the Roman coin!! My 8 yr old self burned at the injustice.)

And that, really, was the extent of my knowledge.

Topic: Drivers licence /learner's permit
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 2:32:43 PM

Prince - this is a very, very bad attempt at English. It isn't written by someone who speaks English.

There's no way of telling what it means. It looks as though it came from Google Translate.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.