Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 14,341
[1.59% of all post / 4.23 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Rumjacks
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:30:29 PM

I liked the song - but then I learnt that the lead singer is in jail for domestic violence. So what I took for deliberately ironic-type lyrics took on a more sinister turn. Don't think I'll be adding them to my playlist after all.
Topic Ing
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:50:13 AM

Helenej -

Drago said:

"I'm going to have a party" means that it's definite - the same as "I'm having a party."
Topic: Suppose we get down to the truth
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 9:12:33 AM

It's a common usage both in BE and AE.
Topic: Ing
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 5:39:27 AM
Helenej,

English is full of the ghosts of former ways of speaking - whole volumes of Synonyms attest to that.Some people still won't split an infinitive, or finish a sentence with a preposition - yet its perfectly fine to do so. So both hearers and users know that "I will boldly go..." and "I will go boldly..." mean the same thing and are both correct.

So use whichever form of the OP's sentences you prefer - it will make no difference to the hearer.

BUT if you say "I'm going to have a party at my place on Saturday" and then you change your mind, the people you've spoken to will still turn up saying "Where's the party?" Because, as we've said, both mean the same thing and they won't know that you use "going to" to mean "I may/might have a party."

Topic: Ing
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 8:15:53 PM

Sorry Helenej,

NK speaks AE and Drago & I BE - but we all say the same thing: the only difference is in length.

So why are there two "right" ways to say it? Because one clings to the more formally "correct" response, while the other is the more modern (and once frowned upon)"correct" way of saying it.

History, not grammar.
Topic: (a) leeway
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:49:18 AM
Lazarius -

They aren't giving the kids "a sort of" Something; they're giving them "a sort of Something that would have been perfectly normal" in a previous generation.
Topic: Get help vs take help
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:20:20 AM

In BE we would tend to say "take him up on" his offer of help.

"I'd like to take him up on his offer of help."
"I'm thinking of taking him up on his offer of help."
Topic: Is "enactment" the right word?
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:16:41 AM

Drago -

the antiques trade is huge in England - it contributes in large part to our economy. I have read in more than one source how essential it is to our Trade - but have never actually followed those articles up.

Working now in the Heritage/Historic sector - and especially in Brighton/London, many of the people I come in contact with do indeed make their (sometimes hugely substantial) living through both the Antique and Vintage trades.
Topic: About/after
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 9:26:50 AM

Oh, ok. Sorry I was a bit slow there - now I understand correctly. Thanks Sureshot.
Topic: About/after
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 8:45:05 AM
Sureshot -

I'm still a bit confused.

Even though you looked at it after looking at "ask after", how does the number of times "ask for" is used have any relevence to someone "asking about" or "asking after" another person? Whether you cited the frequency with which it's used correctly or incorrectly, I still don't know what it has to do with the subject of this thread.

What am I missing?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.