Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 79
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: US-Aussie Dollar
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 8:03:43 AM
Yeah, the weakening of the US dollar is causing quite a stir. Our Rand here in South Africa is looking a lot stronger these days.
Topic: New Words for 2010‏?
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 7:58:28 AM
Heh heh, some of those are great. Just one note of caution... "Prairie Dogging" does have another meaning as far as urban slang goes. Maybe punch it into Google and have a look before using it around the office. Just in case.
Topic: Nightmares
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 11:04:12 AM
Hey Ant,

I also recently had a patch of about a week where I was having nightmares every single night. My dreams are usually quite vivid and I generally recall them. But these were horrific and so unnerved me that they stayed with me for days.

They had nothing to do with anything I was reading, or watching on TV. They were all anxiety based. Relating to my physical well-being or that of my posessions (like my car).

To help my sub conscious process them I re-started my dream journal - basically writing down every last detail I could recall. Then before bed I specifically made sure I relaxed completely. Warm baths, quiet, no TV or reading, measured breaths. My own version of meditation, if you will.

And it seems to have worked. Back to normal weird dream scheduling. I can still remember them, and they are very involved and vivid, but not terrifying or stressful.

I don't know what caused the anxiety, but by just paying a little attention to the fact that subconsciously I obviously needed to tune the world out a little and focus on chilling, I seem to have solved the problem for now.

Topic: the cow and the swamp
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 10:54:57 AM
I'm with Romany on this one. "Went pear-shaped" and "wheels came off" are great suggestions.
Topic: one-word news
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:29:53 AM
I'm not sure about an idiom - but I'd think that "embellish" would sum it up. Each person embellishes the original story.
Topic: Newspapers
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:53:05 AM
I am a journalist and I write for a large daily newspaper. I love my job and I couldn't be happier. While I understand your annoyance at the sensationalism, not all newspapers can be lumped together. Some are worse than others. I've been giving this a lot of thought lately and a lot of the negative things you mentioned do (unfortunately) boil down to lack of resources and cutting down on quality, experienced reporters. Companies world wide are axing staff in a bid to save money and avoid closing down. As a result, the more experienced reporters are being retrenched and are being replaced by younger journos who can be paid far far less. It's tragic, but true. The news suffers because the business men in the wood panelled offices upstairs have a found a way to save money. Where once you had bustling newsrooms and beat reporters galore, newsrooms have been cut down to a handful of reporters having to churn out enough stories to fill papers. As a result, a lot of publications rely on agency copy far more than is ideal.

It's sad, and frustrating. Gone are the days of being able to dedicate yourself to an investigative piece for months with the full backing of the company. But - and it's a good but - more newsrooms are aware of the issues and are trying their utmost to slowly inch back to the glory days. Trying to find creative solutions to problems which won't be solved overnight. Okay, so we won't get 6 new, experienced reporters, but how can we still free a couple of our guys up to dedicate themselves to following leads and breaking important news stories.

There is light at the end of the tunnel I think.

You may be interested to grab a copy of Flat Earth News by Nick Davies. It's a fascinating read and really delves deeper into this subject. It's a book every journalist should read and take serious note of.

Topic: Gonzo Journalism
Posted: Monday, April 5, 2010 11:20:24 AM
I really enhoy Hunter S Thompson's writing.

I own his books Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Kingdom of Fear. I enjoyed both and I duly devour any of his other writing I stumble across.

Maybe it's because I'm a journalist that I find his character so utterly compelling. I don't know really. There's the crazy romantic side of me that would love to break free of conventions and plunge into the world of Gonzo journalism - consequences be damned. But you've got to be a certain kind of person to pull it off and he was.

Complete stark raving lunatic, of course. But that's part of the appeal.

Interestingly I read the book long before I ever saw the film of Fear and Loathing.

Topic: Cryptically speaking
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 10:52:23 AM
ooooh, acrostic poems with hidden meanings could be fun to attempt.

Yeah, I used to just avoid the cryptic crossword figuring that they were just too hard and I'd never figure them out. I still can't do the really complicated clues with answers which have more than one word. But every few days I get to work a little early and take my newspaper down to my local coffee shop and see how far I get.
Topic: Cryptically speaking
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:38:36 AM
A while ago one of the powers-that-be at work organised a short lunchtime talk on cryptic crosswords. I think they thought it would be beneficial for us journos to get into the cryptic crosswords, expand our vocabularies and all that.

It was fascinating listen to a man who spends his days compiling them and also picking up tips on how to solve the clues. I haven't mastered an entire crossword yet, but I'll admit that I do grin like a moron whenever I actually manage to work a few clues out.

I guess it's all about practice and getting to know the style of the compiler.

Do you lot enjoy the cryptic crosswords? ever tried to compile your own?
Topic: Spring is in the air!
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 5:47:29 AM
As you lot all head into spring our winter is slowly creeping in and I'm loving it. Winter is my favourite time of year. Hats, scarves, boots and umbrellas. The rain makes me happy. I'm just finishing off a new scarf - just need to learn how to do the tassles on the ends. :) I'll ask Uncle Google when I've finished knitting.

And Risadr, those chicks are gorgeous! Very cute.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.