Statistics
Number of Posts: 68
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I was lucky to know him
Posted: Sunday, April 4, 2010 4:40:07 PM
risadr wrote:
Romany wrote:
Boneyfriend - you said that this thread made you think people must favour one kid over another? No, no, no, no.

Surely some people do, I expect. But please don't get the idea that its inevitable. Being an only child I thought that too and went through a miserable (unplanned) second pregnancy and birth process completely convinced that I would never have enough love inside me left over from Number One son to give to Number Two.

But thank all the gods I soon found out this was a load of old cobblers. Both my boys are completely different individuals and I found I had limitless capacity for love. I could NEVER favour one over the other (though their father used to, which broke my heart).

The best thing of all is that both of them are fully aware of how much they are loved and, of all the problems they have had in their lives to date, thinking that they were not loved equally and heart-stoppingly has never been one of them. Through all we have been through together,they have tolod me again and again that this has always been their security and their rock.

Even though I don't plan to have anymore children, I can't imagine that I would ever favor one over the other. I love my nephews (my sister's two boys, and my brother's son) nearly as much as I love my own daughter, and I love them all exactly equally. If I can't play favorites with my nephews, how could I ever play favorites with my children?

This is a little bit off topic, but being a mother of two, I just now realized I would pick my daughter over my son, in the blink of an eye. It's scary, it's not what I would wish for, but it's the truth. She's two and a half and he's five months old. Of course that's why. She's much more of a person, whereas he's just a sweet little lump so far.
It's logical but still it's freaking me out. What if the roles were reversed? Or--what if she, or my husband, or I, were to be disabled, end up in a coma or whatever? Would my loved ones love me less?
Topic: Guilty pleasures
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:05:40 PM
Smoking a cigarette after a long run.

I very rarely smoke, and now it's been years since I had one (due to pregnancies, breastfeeding and such), BUT to take one--just one--after you've been out running for at least an hour, that is amazing!
It never tastes better and your lunges absorbs the toxic shit so well. Ah--it's beautiful and truly guilty. But a pleasure alike.
Topic: Will--Shall
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:45:44 PM
oxymoron wrote:
Both are perfectly acceptable and in current daily use. How does one use shall.
Thanks, sloppy me d'oh!
Topic: Will--Shall
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:09:43 PM
Here's a question for all of you native English speakers. How do one use Shall nowadays?
I've always used I will, we will and so on, and I took it for granted that the abbreviation I'll meant I will.

Then recently I read that correct usage is
I, we shall
He, she, it, they will

Does anyone use shall nowadays? Is it only to me it sounds archaic? Honestly, up until just now, I had no idea that shall was used with the same meaning as will. And is it then incorrect to say I will...? (but everyone does, right?).

Please, help me with this one!
Topic: Increasing your vocab - The value of different Parts of Speech
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:00:22 PM
Geeman, I liked your post very much! I've never thought about it like that. I'll try this method, and I'm sure it'll fit my way of learning perfectly.

Otherwise, reading is the way to go. Reading is how you learn idioms, the usage of words you didn't know existed.
Topic: Neither, nor; Either, or; Or?
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 3:52:08 PM
I wonder, is this correct too?

"This means no perceivable change for the customer nor the supplier."

(maybe you should add a "for" so the sentence goes ...nor for the supplier?)
Topic: Nor
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 7:17:38 AM
uuaschbaer wrote:
I think your husband may want to concede defeat after reading what NOAD says about 'nor':

nor |nôr|
conjunction & adverb
1 used before the second or further of two or more alternatives (the first being introduced by a negative such as “neither” or “not”) to indicate that they are each untrue or each do not happen : they were neither cheap nor convenient | the sheets were never washed, nor the towels, nor his shirts.
• [as adv. ] poetic/literary term for neither : : nor God nor demon can undo the done.
2 used to introduce a further negative statement : the struggle did not end, nor was it any less diminished.
3 [ conj. or prep. ] archaic or dialect than : she thinks she knows better nor me.

This is lovely!

Thank you ever so much!
Topic: Nor
Posted: Monday, March 8, 2010 6:54:19 AM
Hi everyone!
Once again, I'm in need of your expertise. I'm having this argument with my husband--about NEITHER - NOR and EITHER - OR. And what do you know, I'd really like it if I was right, but I can't find a way to prove it.
Here goes:

We all know that NEITHER and NOR go together, and EITHER and OR. You have to use them paired up like this.
The question is, is it correct to use NOR in any other contexts, without its NEITHER in front of it? The same way you can use OR separately without its EITHER?

The sentence is "I am not a sinner, nor a saint". It's the title of a song by a famous Swedish pop group.
My husband thinks it's wrong, I think it's correct. I can't back my theory with anything else but "it feels right". Can you help me out? Can you use NOR like this, and for example like: "I'm not happy, nor am I said". Because, how would this sentence go otherwise?

Many thanks (and lets hope I'm right Dancing ).
Topic: TFD on iPhone?
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:54:35 AM
I just got my iPhone and I'm trying out surfing the internet. Many other sites have applications or versions of their site, especially for mobile surfing.
Hasn't TDF got that?

Anyone got tips for great language apps apart from Dictionary.com?
Topic: Keeping words at tip of the tonque.
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:08:27 PM
I also find reading one of the best ways to learn new words.
But to make them stay in your vocabulary, to really make the word yours, you have to use it a couple of times. Since I don't have many chances of using my recently learned words in speaking, I use them in writing. A lot.
It works! Write whatever, short stories, letters or your diary, and make sure to use the new words. It may feel silly, but it's extremely effective!

Good luck!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.