The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: RuthP
User Name: RuthP
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Gender: None Specified
Home Page
Joined: Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Last Visit: Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:27:31 AM
Number of Posts: 5,410
[0.58% of all post / 1.49 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: saltish
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 11:03:09 AM
FounDit wrote:
I've never heard it used in the U.S.


I wonder whether it might not be some obscure regionalism.
Topic: country bumpkin
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 10:43:02 AM
As opposed, of course, to a city slicker.
Topic: Adapted from Japanese manga...
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:37:55 AM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?

Short summary
Adapted from Japanese manga series "Itazura na Kiss", about a teen girl who falls in love with has been in love with her fellow senior since their first day of high school.
She fell in love with him on the first day of high school. That is a one-time event. She has been in love with him ever since (then). The same issue arises in your long description.

Long summary
Adapted from Japanese manga series "Itazura na Kiss", which tells of a teenage girl who falls in love with her fellow senior since their first day of high school but does not tell him about it at first. When an earthquake destroys her house, she and her father move into the house of her father's college buddy, who happens to be the father of the boy she loves.

Details are based on online sources.
Topic: How many class in a week?
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:31:21 AM
bihunsedap wrote:
For 5 years old kid, the class will provide two times a week.

"How many class in a week?"I asked the tutor.

Does the question correct if I wanted to get the answer just like the first sentence?

"How many classes will he (have)(take) (each)(in a) week?"

"For a five-year-old (child), (classes are provided two times a week)(there are two classes a week).

The word "kid" is unlikely to be used in a conversation between a parent and child, at least during an early conversation. "Kid" is a very casual term for a child. It is appropriate between friends or within a family. Parents and teachers may use it once they know each other well. In a school setting, when used, it is more apt to be used in plural form, to refer to a group of kids than used in reference to an individual child. This is in AE.
Topic: cast a sheep's eye
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:39:19 AM
As an AE speaker, this is not something I've used, or even heard before. thar's usage is known to me, but not at all common anymore. In my parent's generation, yes, but not mine and certainly not the current one.
Topic: Who am I speaking with? Answer
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:38:35 PM
Igor_ wrote:
If I call someone, after introducing myself, the otherone does not do the same, I'd ask:"who am i speaking speaking with?
OK, now
What is the right answer?
" This is" in any cases?

This is the pedant here, so I shall bring up the pedantry not yet covered.

In a formal situation, or to be grammatically correct at any time, the proper question is, "With whom am I speaking?"

To be ultimately polite, in case one is concerned about offending, one asks, "May I know with whom I am speaking?"
Topic: I am bathing.
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:32:01 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
srirr wrote:

Memory fading due to age. My apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Not any inconvenience at all. Always remember there will always be new people on the forums. If you have a question, it is virtually certain there's another out there who will also appreciate the answer.
Topic: I'm running several hours later.
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:29:36 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It sounds like they usually 'sign on' at six or seven in the morning, but today they changed their routine, so didn't see your message until ten (or noon).

"I'm running late" means that everything is happening later than it usually does.
"I'm running several hours later" means everything is very much later than usual - they didn't get up till ten, had breakfast at lunch time . . .

I'll add this: "Running late" is an idiomatic phrase. "Running later" is not, and I think what's happened here is that the original post is using the "running later" in an idiomatic fashion. The original post should have either used "running late," which could be correctly used as an idiom, or completed the sentence of "running later."

"I'm running several hours later (than usual)(than I usually do)."

Idioms are tricky and in casual writing, things like this happen all the time. I'd not look to most posts for good grammar. Shhh Whistle
Topic: Answering machine
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:23:24 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
For a message - I use similar a 'gradient' as I gave in the 'text message' situation, I think.

If it's a stranger - a business call for example - I'd use "Hello. This is (full name)" or "My name is" plus an explanation "calling about the car you're advertising" or whatever.
If it's an acquaintance (who I would expect to remember my name) but not a friend - "Hello. This is (full name)" or "It's (full name)" plus an explanation "calling about my car. I remember you saying you do repairs sometimes." or whatever.
If it's a friend - "Hi. It's (personal name)" - I'd expect them to recognise my voice too (I have a distinctive accent) - plus caller ID would tell them who was leaving the message.

I think you're right - I wouldn't use "I am" or "I'm" usually. I don't know why really. It just doesn't seem to be a phrase that comes to mind for me.

Because, if you use "I am . . ." you are going to sound like a telemarketer. That's my take, and I'm sticking by it.
Topic: My sister is a baptised Christian.
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:21:10 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:
Thanks, DragOnspeaker.

I agree with palapaguy.

When one is a Christian, one should be baptised.

So, is there a difference between the sentences?

Some Christian denominations belive that only an adult can agree to allow themselves to be baptised with all that that means for thier Christain faith. Children born into such faiths may be regarded as Christian but have not yet reached an age at which they will be baptised.

As not all Christian sects require (or even approve of) baptism, I'd say there is a difference.

You may believe one must be baptized to be Christian. Assuming those in your sect also believe this, then within your own belief-system, you are correct, there is no difference.

In the broader world, however, there are those who do not believe as you do. In the broader world, therefore, there is a difference between the two.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.