Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5,316
[0.58% of all post / 1.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: stay or lodge
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:27:49 PM
Romany wrote:

In BE "lodge" means something different and wouldn't be used.

A "lodger" in BE is someone who rents a room in another families house - also called a "paying guest".

So in British & Commonwealth countries we only use "stay" - "Where will you be staying?" "Do you know where you'll be staying?"

A "lodger" in AE would be the same. The term is, however, not current.

As far as I know, "lodge" refers to a temporary living situation. This might occur with travel, "I will be lodging at the inn of the Prancing Pony". It does feel as though the use implies a stay longer than just overnight. It also speaks to someone renting a room from another. The assumption (not always met) being that one would eventually have one's own place.
Topic: The Australian Open
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:21:51 AM
I do not believe I would consider this a holiday. An event, yes, but a holiday, no.
Topic: solitudinarian
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:14:11 AM
taurine's post perfectly demonstrates two points:

1) The pseudo-scientific, pseudo-medical reason men cannot be hysterical: by definition, hysteria is the result of a wandering womb, a womb out of place. Males are unequipped for this. (Of course, anyone who had ever seen my ex when he saw a snake would never doubt men can be hysterical.)

2) This is one of the most useless words I've ever seen. Both "recluse" and "hermit" fulfill any function that might be attributed to "solitudinarian". ("Troglodyte" carries some overtones making it a less exact synonym.) The only possible use for this word is by a pseudo-intellectual pseudo-academic with pretensions to a knowledge of Latin and an erudition which are clearly lacking. The example posted by taurine perfectly fits the bill!
Topic: Does the word "multiculture" exist?
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 7:01:28 PM
FROSTY X RIME wrote:
I did not find "multiculture(s)" in the TFD or other dictionaries but I found them in the wiktionary.

multicultures

multiculture

In general, the general internet public enters words into Wiktionary. Apparently, many of the more active people are (as kindly as I can) less knowledgeable than one might wish. It is not a reliable source for standard definitions or word usage. Think of it more as another Urban Dictionary, but perhaps a bit less aimed at shocking.
Topic: pls. explain words
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:54:42 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
I am actually British rather than English my heritage is part English part Scottish.

Burns night is the 25th of January held in celebration of Robert Burns the Scottish poet on what would have been his birthday. There is a special ceremony involving Bagpipers, reciting some of his poems, drinking whisky and eating haggis. Many people just have the haggis and a whisky though without the rest of it.

Haggis is a Scottish dish that consists of a sheeps stomach stuffed with sheeps offal (heart, lungs and liver) mixed with onion, oatmeal and various spices. It is traditionally serve with mashed or diced swedes called turnips or 'neeps in Scotland and potatoes or tatties.

Faggots are a traditional dish from the Black Country of the English Midlands made from pork offal and minced bacon shaped into meatballs and wrapped in pork caul cooked in gravy.

I don't remember the triamisu scene , but I know someone who would appreciate it they judge an Ialian restaurant on the quality of their tiramisu, Bedfordshire has quite a large Italian community we had POW camps for Italian prisoners during WW2 here and many stayed.

Yeah, well, I think the Scots in you is trying to describe haggis in an unappealing way. Shame on you

Haggis is a kind of sausage. The casing is a sheep stomach, just as other sausages may be cased in pig guts or cow guts. As with all sausages, it is made up of the bits and ends of meat (including "offal" the internal organs) from a slaughter. Sausage is made because one does not waste anything from the animal and sausage uses the odds and ends.

Unlike many other sausages, but like the Hungarian hurka, haggis contains quite a bit of grain. Oatmeal (dried and chopped oats, what we would call "steel cut", not usually rolled oats) is used for haggis. Hurka usually uses barley, but sometimes it uses wheat or even more rarely, oats.

They are both delicious.Shhh The best way to prepare them, in my opinion, is to slice the casing, empty the sausage into a pan, and fry it. You can also make patties. Or, you can put the whole thing in the oven and bake it. Yum!Dancing
Topic: Annotation
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 6:13:57 PM
ElizabethTh wrote:
Hello everyone, I am dealing with a correct translation of my diploma thesis and I am somehow stuck :D I know that I have some parts definitely incorrect. Could you please help me with that? It would mean a lot to me because I can't see those mistakes :/

I am going to take this one sentence at a time.

ANNOTATION
This thesis creates possibilities of use of the musical in the educational process of primary schools.
This thesis (demonstrates)(shows)(explains) possible uses of (the musical)(musicals) in (primary school education)(education at the primary level).

The thesis does not create anything. You may be trying to say you created these methods. That is probably better stated later, or not stated at all: just let it be understood from the descriptions of what you did to obtain your results. I think "demonstrates" is probably the best verb choice here, but the other two are possibilities.

". . . possibilities of use of . . ." is too awkward. In general, try to avoid too many prepositions, and especially repeating the same preposition. (There are cases where that is not true, but the function and format will be different from what you have here.) ". . . possible uses of . . ." is simpler and says the same thing.

". . . the musical . . ." is fine. It is a common way of referring to the class of performance or show. The other possibility is to use "musicals". The choice is entirely one of taste and preference.

". . . the educational process of . . ." is somewhat awkward phrasing and not what a native speaker would say. (It is not wrong. It is just not a particularly good choice.) Either of the choices I gave should work, but a caution: "Primary school" will be understood generally as children younger than high school (secondary school) age. "Primary level" may be understood that way or it may be understood as being limited to kindergarten through grade three, or about five to nine years old. (I cannot say for certain, as education is not my field.) These vary in the US system, because local school districts differ from one another. The British system would be different still.

The practical part is concerned with (the) specific musical activities which lead the pupils to the development of required competencies.
This is fine. The article "(the)" should be used if you are covering all possible activities. If you are covering activities you have created, something new, but not covering previously used activities, then do not use the article. I assume the "required competencies" are either generally understood in your field, or are explained elsewhere.

This thesis contains a musical composed by myself including a recording, scenario, time schedule, casting, and methodical materials.
This thesis contains a musical composed by (me)(the writer) including a recording, scenario, (time)(production)(rehearsal) schedule, and (method materials)(materials covering (teaching) methods).

Please do not use "myself". This is used by native speakers who have never learned to tell the difference between subjective case and objective case: "by me", object of the preposition "by". If you wish to be formal, refer to yourself in the third person, e.g. "the writer", "the student", "the author". But, if you do that here, you must refer to yourself in third person all the way through. Just use "me". It is correct and shows you are much smarter than average.

I have left "scenario" in. It works, though if you are referring specifically to the story line, it would be better to use "story line" instead.

I think "production" is what you want for your schedule. That would include any of the following that might apply: casting, set construction, locating props, locating or sewing costumes, lighting, rehearsals (and all that jazz--sorry, I could't resist). This is more specific than "time schedule" which doesn't say anything about what the schedule actually covers.)

I understand that when you look in the dictionary, "methodical methods" should say what you want to say. Unfortunately, "methodical" has another meaning, and will not be correctly understood here, or, if it is, it will sound awkward and unnatural. The term "method materials" is not great, but would probably be understood, if you mean materials covering methods for how to teach or do your procedure. I think "materials covering teaching methods" is probably best, but if I've completely misunderstood, let me know and I'll try again.

The aim of this diploma thesis is to find out whether the musical increases the/an interest in the pupils in/at the music class and if it leads to a/the development of their creativity.
The aim of this (diploma) thesis is was to find out whether the musical increases (increased)(would increase) (the interest in of the pupils in)(the pupils' interest in) (the)( )(their) music class and if whether it (led)(would lead to) a/the (further)(an increase in the) development of their creativity.

Think twice about "diploma thesis". Even if the degree you are going for is a diploma (like an IB diploma for a student in secondary education), it is common to refer to the thesis just as a thesis, no adjective in front of it. If the thesis is for a baccalaureate or master's, then certainly use "thesis" without "diploma".

I am assuming you have done your thesis: I changed the tense to past tense. If this is not your thesis you are translating, but rather your thesis proposal (something you plan on doing, but have not yet done) then change the tense back.

Same tense issue with "increases". Assuming the thesis is complete, I think "would increase" is probably the best choice.

You have the interest of (plural) pupils in their music class. Either "the interest of the pupils in" or (better I think) use the plural possessive "the pupils' interest in".

You may use "the" or nothing or "their" (referring back to the pupils) in front of "music class". Personally, I think "their" is best. This is particularly true because you use "their" again later in the sentence. Using it here helps keep the referent clear.

Stylistically, it is stronger to keep the same form in both parts of the sentence. You started with "whether it would increase their interest", so continue with "whether it would further the development of their creativity". Also, I find the substitution of "if" for "whether" to be weak in general, but that's just my opinion.

And, again, the use of the past "would increase" and "would further the development of" is done because I assume you have completed your thesis work. If this is your proposal for the thesis and the work is yet to come, then these need to go back to present tense, as you had originally.

Children´s musical represents the means of the development of children's imagination and it helps pupils to get involved in the musical educational process and in that lies its potential to/for/of use in nowadays musical pedagogy.
(Children's musicals represent)(The children's musical represents)(The Children's Musical represents the a means of the to development develop (children's imagination and it)(children's imagination. It) helps pupils (get)(become) (more deeply involved) in (the musical educational education process)(the process of music education)(their musical education) [(and in)(. In) that lies its potential)(. Therein lies its potential)] to/ for /of use in nowadays current musical pedagogy.

First and very important, shorter sentences are often stronger. This is your summing up, your main point. I strongly recommend you change this to three short sentences and, if at all possible, you place them in their own paragraph.

Second, I discovered I had some doubts about what your focus was. If you are focusing on a method you are presenting and the musical you created is one way of showing how to use the method, then use either "The children's musical represents", which uses "children's musical" as a class of items, or use "Children's musicals" which refers to any musical developed for use with children. The method you are presenting would / could be used with the class or with any example of children's musical chosen.

If, on the other hand, you are focusing on only this children's musical you created as the one (and only) way to do what you present, then you need to give it a title (I assume The Children's Musical) and you need to treat it as a title each time you use it. That means it must be capitalized and italicized.

The verb "represent/represents" will be plural or singular depending upon whether you are talking about a class of musical, "the children's musical (singular in AE, plural in BE), several unspecified examples of "children's musicals" (plural), or just your musical, "The Children's Musical" (singular). And do not use both quotes and italics with the title: only italics.

I suggest "a" rather than "the", because I am sure there are other means that others have used and are using. If you think you have shown this is the best means you could say that "the best means", or you could say something like "a very effective means".

Never ever (<<that's AE. BE speakers never ever use "never ever", just "never") use "nowadays" in formal writing. Uh-uh. Not done. It is a very informal term, so for school or professional use, just leave it out of your vocabulary.

You can work your way through the rest of the possibilities I listed above. I know it's confusing. My suggestion, and I will assume your focus is method, is this:

The children's musical represents an effective means (to develop)(of developing) children's imagination. It helps pupils become more deeply involved in their musical education. Therein lies the its potential for use in current musical pedagogy.
Topic: Daytime
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:24:07 PM
Romany wrote:
sureshot -

well, first off I don't speak American English.

But the fact that some people, somewhere, have used "at", has nothing to do with whether it's correct or not.

There's bound to be stacks of citations for "Me and him..." "Me and my father.." "I/you/we/they/she/he done it." and "Ten items or less".

Millions of people might say these things - along with "at daytime" - millions of times a day. All this proves is that millions of people use bad English.

I am an AE speaker, and I agree with Romany, and will say "at daytime" is nonstandard. "In the daytime", "during (the) daytime", "while it's daytime", yes. "At daybreak", yes.
Topic: Short in stature...
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:13:16 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?

Short summary
Short in stature but big on love, a bachelor meets two very different women who broaden his horizons and help him find a purpose in life.

Long summary
A vertically challenged man, Bauua Singh is full of charm and wit and with a pinch of arrogance as he is born to a wealthy family and raised in an environment of affluence and indulgence. But when he meets two women, his experiences with them takes him on a journey to complete his incompleteness and broaden his horizons to find a purpose in life.

Short one is fine. It's very punchy, and I like it a lot. There is nothing wrong grammatically with the long one. I am not fond of "complete his incompleteness". It is two vague and doesn't really add to the thoughts. I'd try something else, or just omit it, but that's me.
Topic: on my side
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:09:32 PM
Atatürk wrote:
It's no problem on my side, but you should also talk to other students.

Correct?

It would probably work, but I'd be more apt to use "from" rather than "on", and more apt to say "my point of view" than "my side". Nonetheless, the sentence as it stands, particularly assuming there is surrounding context, is definitely understandable and would not be overtly odd.
Topic: At, in the
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 5:06:55 PM
Atatürk wrote:
What's the difference between "in the night" and "at night"?

That is a huge topic, because it depends upon what is around them. They may be used for the same purpose in some cases, yet mean different things in others.

I think we need to know either how it was used or what you are trying to say to answer in less than a book. (Well, many paragraphs, at least.)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.