[0.58% of all post / 1.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Relative pronoun
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 2:29:12 PM
Yes, it is a relative pronoun.
Topic: Found
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 2:27:38 PM
Atatürk wrote:
Her name was found in my list, as it was in Jane's.

Correct English?

I meant to say the following:

Her name was both in my and Jane's list.

Correct meaning. In AE, at least, one would be more apt to use "on" as opposed to "in" for the preposition.
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:52:52 PM
L.Rai wrote:
If you like Shogun, then try reading a lessor known book "Cloud of Sparrows" and it's sequel "Autumn Bridge" by Takashi Matsuoka, it's a little different in how it's written jumping from present, to past, to future but it's still interesting and very much a book in the same vein as Shogun.

I have a very long list of books I have enjoyed while here in China...

1. Team of Rivals (about Lincoln and his cabinet) good history and written well by Doris Goodwin
2. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
3. The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitan (I loved this book)

These are the last books I read in the past few months...

I will read just about anything I can get my hands on here because it's hard to find books in English, but if it deals with history I am really interested.

Two authors I like very much are Amy Tan and Lisa See, both are great storytellers about China.

Also some books just should be ready in their original language as some translations don't really capture the story well. I tried reading an English translation of a Chinese classic "Dream of Red Mansions" and it sucked.

I think that may have also been why I did not really like Anna Karenina, just never got into her character and actually by the time she jumps in front of the train, I was ready to push her.

If you liked A team of Rivals, I highly recommend The Bully Pulpit, which is about the presidencies of Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft. Also, her newest book, Leadership in Turbulent Times, which compares and contrasts the genesis and styles of leadership in Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson. You may notice these are all presidents whom she studied and wrote about. Great books and, as I assume you aren't a native `Murican (so to speak), the latter book is a good look at issues which have troubled the U.S. throughout history and are still very much in evidence today.
Topic: Enough
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 7:37:35 PM
Atatürk wrote:
She says she can't stop loving him enough to be married to another guy – let alone his brother – and it will never happen.

I can barely comprehend the use of "enough" in the above. If you love someone enough, then it shouldn't be so difficult to stop it.

She loved someone, perhaps was married to him. He died or left or whatever, but is no longer in her life.

Now, she cannot sufficiently reduce the amount she loves him/the degree to which she feels love for him (even though he is gone) to allow her to consider loving another.

She still feels so much love for him (he who is gone), that she hasn't a sufficient quantity of love left to love another.
Topic: Do You Know That English Spellings Change?(60)
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 1:55:17 PM
Ashwin, you might be interested in this Wikipedia: The spelling of "Shakespeare". I basically just Google-searched the topic, because I already knew Shakespeare was not consistent in spelling his own name, and (of course) Wikipedia had an article. It is just a rather graphic demonstration of spelling which was not, at the time, standardized. One wrote words however one heard them.

The article also covers how the preferred spelling of his name has changed over the centuries since his lifetime.

Spelling standardization is generally credited to Samuel Johnson, an Englishman, who published his dictionary in 1755. In the U.S., however, the seminal event was Noah Webster, who published a speller in 1783. This was the same year the U.S. and England signed the peace treaty ending our Revolutionary War. It's also more than 150 years after Shakespeare died.

And, Mr. Webster said nasty things about English English, the pronunciation and spelling of which he thought was being corrupted by the aristocracy, which included Mr. Johnson. He also thought the insistence that one must learn Latin and Greek before studying English grammar was wrong. He went on to publish a grammar (a book to explicate grammar), and found Webster's Dictionary. The current Merriam-Webster Dictionary is the direct descendant. This is the genesis of most of the differences between BE and AE.
Topic: Calls for the Ku Klux Klan to 'night ride again'
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 1:21:33 PM
FounDit wrote:
Jussie Smollett is now being accused of giving a false police report and of reporting lies for propaganda purposes, and his own self interest. We see that done a lot nowadays in an effort to advance a political ideology.

So, tell me, FouDit, why was it necessary to wait for corroboration on the racist's statements, but not on the accusations of Mr. Smollett?
Topic: yankee dime
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 11:42:35 AM
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Grandma said that? She didn't say it around here. I'm calling BS on this one, or it's product of the British...

I agree it is nothing I've ever heard or heard of. It would make sense as a Southern insult, as suggested by monamagda, but I've no referent for it in anything I've heard or read.
Topic: in the morning on 17.02.2019 or in the morning of 17.02.2019
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:57:40 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
We use the following directions on the label for antimicrobials to include time and date.

Take one capsule three times a day to complete the course in the morning on 17.02.2019.

Or
In the morning/in the afternoon noon/in the evening/ at night of 17.02.2019

I work for the NHS.

In general speech, one usually uses in the morning, in the afternoon, at night. When one refers to a specific event, an action such as a crime--so you see this in a police report--or an action such as taking the last of a medication, one uses "on".

"To finish the course on the night/afternoon/morning of . . ." should be used.

Also be aware of how dates are written. The writing of numeric dates must match the format used in that specific locale. AE will write numeric dates as month-day-year. BE, and I am assuming most countries that were once under the British Empire, will write day-month-year, except, of course, one may find systems that use year-month-day. It is easy for a patient raised under another system to become confused. Generally, I find it safest to write the month as a word and use a four-digit year.
Topic: fog, mist, the wind, etc.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:48:20 PM
The only thing that is the same about tornadoes and hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones is that they have rotating winds.

The hurricane (typhoon, cyclone) is a storm system. These are large, circular/cyclonic movements of masses of air. They take time to form and are usually fairly well tracked. They may spawn tornadoes, but are not themselves tornadoes. Hurricanes (etc.) generally have wind speeds of 90-100 mph (145-198 kph). The highest (worst) hurricanes are category 5, with wind speed >157 mpg (253 kph). Hurricanes are usually 100-1,000 miles (160-1600 km) in diameter.

Tornadoes are funnel clouds formed usually from thunderstorms and always from vertical air movement (vertical wind shear). This is the exact opposite of hurricane/typhoons, which form in areas of low vertical air movement.

The funnel cloud itself of a tornado does turn, but the storm is not cyclonic. Tornadoes have far more violent air movement, with usual speeds greater than 200 mph (320 kph), and recorded speeds of the worst more than 300 mph (480 kph). They are also far more compact. Most tornadoes are a half-mile or less (0.8 km) in diameter. The largest recorded were about 2.5 miles (4 km) in diameter. Even the storms from which a tornado may descend are only about 10 mi (16 km) wide.

Tornado formation and movement are unpredictable. We can note the formation of the kind of clouds that generate tornadoes. We cannot tell whether or where one will form or what direction it will travel.
Topic: It is cool/cooling here.
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 11:51:31 AM
You relieve my mind, JJ! I could not imagine Finland with midwinter temperatures I would expect to see here in much of the (non-extreme part of) summer.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.