Profile: Todd C. Williams
About
User Name: Todd C. Williams
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 78
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I have lived/ have been living in this city for six months.
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 8:08:58 PM
However, the two phrases can have a subtle difference.
The sentence "I have lived in this city for six months" has no context. For instance, "I have lived in Singapore for six months. It was in 2006." You cannot do that to the second sentence. The sentence "I have been living in Singapore for six months" is present tense. It implies you are living there now.
Topic: Do the following all mean the same?
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:53:21 AM
I take exception of "air drying" after a shower. I know that this time of year in the northern climes where temperatures are a little chilly it may be hard to think of taking a swim or even a shower and "air drying." I do not think that the towel is excessive, depending on the context. Given good solid heat of summer or arid climes, air drying is a very effective way of cooling your body. I know many who do it.
Topic: Chinese corporate 'spy ring'
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:47:00 PM
In this case recipe refers to the the list of ingredients to make something and the process to use to combine them. This form of the word is often used in manufacturing to describe how to build something.
An example of a recipe in this sense might be, "Take two 5"x5" plates of steel with 3/8" holes on the left side, align the holes, insert two 3/8" bolts, add one lock washer on each bolt, twist on a nut to each bolt, and tighten to 30-foot-pounds"
Topic: Drunk Talk
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 8:56:50 PM
Keep your mouth shut. If you were not offended, which it sounds like you were not, there is no use in the apology. Friends let stupid stuff like this roll off their backs. It sounds like you were there for her through thick and thin. Be proud of her work, you have no idea how hard this has been for her. She is your friend. Wallow in that friendship.
Topic: set back
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 4:20:25 PM
Blue2 has the correct definition as used.

However, a closely related word, that cannot be distinguished in speech, is the noun "setback." This refers to a backward movement. In that sense, you can have a "setback in your health," meaning you health degraded.

It also refers to a buffer zone between two objects. This has significant relevance to how it was used in your example. This is closely related to the term "set back," since it often refers to how far back something, like a building, needs to be from some reference, usually the property line. "There is a six foot setback." Means you cannot build within six feet of the property line. The property line is implied, if it were referring to something else it would need to be referenced.

If you were studying architecture I think you would see this word frequently.
Topic: Michael Moore: "Bin Laden Executed, Not Killed."
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 3:45:22 PM
Combining the two topics of Michael Moore and OBL in the same thread leaves lots of room for comments in many directions. Lot sure if you could find more polar opposites.

Being a left-of-liberal liberal, I think Moore has his place in pulling on the center to get them to move. I am not into his sensationalism, but find there is a vein of truth in what he says and one more very important data point. I do not think OBL was executed, I think he was either assassinated or killed in a military strike. Execution has the implication of a trail. Assassination is more political and does not include war efforts. Hence, I lean toward killed in a military strike, we are still are war and he and his followers are still trying to attack us (not just the US, not just Christian, but us non-radical Muslims).

It is hard to draw analogies to WW2 and other war trails, since those were done after the conflict was resolved. This conflict is far from resolved and I frankly cannot tell you what will indicate that it is resolved. We (non-radical Muslim) are still at "war" with an ideology. So when can it stop?

I was not elated when I heard that Bin Laden was dead. My first reaction was, "S**t, what are they going to retaliate with." I have a hard time celebrating anyone's death, but also do not see a way out of this. If you put him on trail and you invite a bigger risk from attacks, kidnappings, etc. attempting to gain his release. What country would hold him knowing the potential recourse.

No, the US Constitution has no relevance since 1) we are at war, 2) this was not on US soil, and 3) OBL was not a US Citizen. As far as impinging on Pakistani soil and international law... Wow, this is not a state we are fighting, it is an ideology. The laws are outdated and bear little relevance. Would we have succeeded in capturing or killing OBL if we had told the Pakistanis? Your guess is as good as mine. It surely would have added risk and a higher potential for failure. Should we damn the Pakistani's? No, they have to watch the regional politics and position themselves as best they see fit. After all, that is why it's called politics ("The often internally conflicting interrelationships among people in a society".)

My 2 cents.

TCW
Topic: How to express "come back together" or "make up"?
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:26:37 AM
Since you are asking for the "professional way" to express this, "reconcile" in its various forms is correct. Lawyers, counselors, medical professionals, etc. in professional situations would say reconcile. The same person in a casual conversation might say "made up," "got back together," "hooked back up," etc.
Topic: internet capitals?
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 3:44:37 PM
The association of this to "computer speak" comes from case sensitive systems. Many of which still exist--any UNIX-type webserver, most programming languages, etc. For non programmers email addresses and URLs were always in lower case for ease of typing. I think all email systems are now case agnostic. URLs on UNIX-type systems are case sensetive. If the system is set up correctly, email it will work regardless of case; however, only the domain name is de-sensitized. Therefore you can type http://RescueTheProblemProject.com or http://rescuetheproblemproject.com; however, if the location in the domain is case senstitive typing (any UNIX-Type system) http://RescueTheProblemProject.com/buyrpp will work, where http://RescueTheProblemProject.com/Buyrpp will not.

Why the long blab? Because this is an old method of typing that is quite passe. In fact, for many people it potrays the writer as lazy and having little attenttion for detail. If I saw a programmer do this, it would strike fear in my heart about what his or her code looked like (grouprateforunemployeds = 33 vs groupRateForUnemployeds = 33). It reminds me of hundreds of thousands of lines of code on an IBM 360 MVS/TSO system I needed to debug in the 80's--all upper case. Arg, still makes me want to drink.
Topic: Who or that
Posted: Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:43:50 PM
Sorry I have been so late to reply. Thanks, I see there is a reason I am having trouble understanding this.
The Bartleby URL does not work for me, is there another way you can point me to it?

TCW
Topic: Who or that
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 2:40:45 AM
I agree, but I know my copy editor has corrected me. I just don't know the rules.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.