Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 86
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Both
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 9:20:21 AM
You should use "negations". Here's the rule: when you have the word "and," you will treat the combined nouns like a plural, which means negation needs to be pluralized. When you have the word "or," you follow the code of the last word in your list (if that word is singular, negation would be singular; if it's plural, pluralize to negations).

“But I have no idea how to fight.” “You stab people. They die. You’ll pick up on it quick, kid."
Topic: Is Christianity what Jesus would have wanted?
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 9:15:03 AM
Food for thought:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

Also, for the record, I am a very devout Catholic and -- looking at a bird's eye view of the history of Christianity and the Church -- I'm inclined to agree with Gandhi. But I'm also conscious of the fact that history remembers the scandals, and that we tend to forget the overwhelming amount of good the Church has done on a consistent, non-newsworthy basis.

“But I have no idea how to fight.” “You stab people. They die. You’ll pick up on it quick, kid."
Topic: woman writers assumed to be men by others in the history
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 9:02:03 AM
Evidently, when the Harry Potter books first came out, it was decided that J. K. Rowling should not have her name written as "Joanne" for fear that male readers wouldn't pick up the books.

Topic: "Darling" - Dutch term of endearment
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:07:33 AM
I think I will use "meisje", then. It seems safe -- obviously he's showing that he esteems her as more than just an acquaintence, but he's not suggesting that they spend the rest of their lives together or anything.

Thank you so much, to everyone, for all your very helpful replies. :D

Posted: Sunday, September 5, 2010 1:41:28 PM
Thanks very much for your help, everyone.

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

I would suggest "meisje" (girl, or little girl). A real Dutch father might call his daughter this.

"Schat" is for girlfriends, wives, and is somewhat similar to calling a woman "honey" in English, not really what a father-figure would want to call his "daughter". If you were to offer us some more details as to the exact nature of the relationship I'm certain we could offer you more help.

Michael

To give you a bit more context, this takes place in 1702. The man is in his early sixties and the woman is a nun in her early 20s. They, along with a group of other people, are boarding in the same house for a certain amount of time. As they grow closer, I want to show my readers that he regards her almost as he would a daughter... so would "meisje" still be appropriate here?

Thanks again!

Topic: Usage of 'Syndicate'
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 12:11:10 AM
I understand that the word 'syndicate' has connotations of gangters, hence "crime syndicate". However, according to this site, it can also be "An association of people or firms authorized to undertake a duty or transact specific business."
Is it correct to use the word syndicate to indicate a group of people who assist an employer... something like a cabinet, only less political? Thanks.

Topic: What's everyone reading?
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:19:11 AM
"Marrying Mozart" by Stephanie Cowell -- good, light reading, it's been a while since I've picked up historical fiction.

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:05:59 AM
I guess I'll stick with schatje, then. It's like saying "darling" or "dear", right? Thanks so much.

Topic: Books that changed your life.
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 8:27:42 PM
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Here's To You, Rachel Robinson / Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
The Romancers
Bel Canto
Lecompte & Searles Anthology of Modern French Literature

And so, so many more, but these are the ones that stick out in my mind.

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 8:23:41 PM
Awesome, thank you. Just to clarify, a man of about 60 calling a woman of about 20 'lieverd' would be considered affectionate, not creepy? Thanks again.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.