Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 325
[0.04% of all post / 0.10 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: past progressive or simple
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 2:27:53 PM
Katty wrote:
Hello! I'm doing a test and have to choose the right word. Could you help me please?

When we came home everybody ... already.
A. was sleeping
B. had been sleeping
C. slept

I think it's A but I'm not entirely sure.

And I think you got it...

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" - Voltaire
Topic: Inventions That Have Changed The World..!
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:01:33 AM
It's so great that you posted this. I've been meaning to post one of my favourite websites for a while and have finally had an opportunity to do it.

The topic is 6 geniuses that lived to see their inventions go terribly wrong. Its a bit long, but totally worth your while. Check it

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" - Voltaire
Topic: Yet Another Thread About Music
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:55:33 AM
Shadowplay (The Killers cover) and For Reasons Unknown (The Killers) always get me going. I had the pleasure of seeing them live in Buenos Aires last month and couldn't stop jumping!!!

Topic: Facebook
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:44:59 AM
Hey Risa... I used to be a fb addict as well. Like all trends, it tends to wash out in time. How long have you been an addict? I added a couple of people from this forum to 'meet' them cause I wonder how many of you look like. Feel free to add me, I go by Valen Gomez Fletcher

Topic: Miss the point
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:28:26 AM
The expression is 'Estar meando afuera del tarro'. Its English literal translation is 'To be pissing out of the jar'

Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:21:43 AM
Clement wrote:
How about "Duh!

That's what I was gonna write. The expressions TL Hobs proposes are more like a 'Duh', but that's not quite the meaning in Spanish.
It would be a combination of:
You are way off
You are out of it
You are missing the point

It's a tough one...

Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:23:00 PM
Hey guys! Long time no write...
I'm writing cause I'm in the search for a slangier version 'you're missing the point'
We have an expression for that in Spanish, and would like to find a close one in English

Thanks, and in case I don't write later, happy new year, y'all!!!

Topic: Language
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:56:41 PM
Usage Note: The compound preposition off of is generally regarded as informal and is best avoided in formal speech and writing: He stepped off (not off of) the platform. Off is informal as well when used to indicate a source: formal style requires I borrowed it from (not off) my brother.

TFD

Topic: party question
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:04:13 AM
TB wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Someone baked a big Boston Cake and invited people to Tea Party?

I think you got it JJ. I heard the party was a real riot Dancing

I heard it was a BLAST

Topic: Errors in novels
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:03:25 AM
I tend to read books in the language they were written (English, Portuguese and Spanish are the only languages which allow me to do this). However, since I'm getting my degree in translation, I sometimes read the original book and the translated one. You can't imagine how many mistakes and misinterpretations you can find! It sucks!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.