User Name: frasha4ever
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 72
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them - alfred adler
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 2:28:15 PM
what does it mean? does it mean that its easy to say things but not to actually do them?

thanks in advance
Topic: when we say side effect(s) of a drug, do we consider it single or plural?
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:26:47 PM
like the side effects of steroids is or the side effects of steroid are?

and can side effect be used without an "S" for plural, i mean can i say it if there is only one side effect?

thanks in advance =)
Topic: difference between rigor and chills
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:04:35 AM
i know there is a difference between them, like i have been told by our teaching profs! but i keep on forgetting it or mixing up the answer.
i remember rigor is more severe than chills and i think the difference is that a rigor cannot be stopped when a person holds the patient still while chills is involuntary muscle movement that can be stopped by a person who holds the person or shivering body still...

who knows if the above is right?Think

appreciate your help =)
Topic: CAPITAL Cities Changed
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 1:54:24 PM
Aden South Yemen
Sanaa' = Yemen
Topic: ^^^ Imaginary chance of a lifetime^^^
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2010 8:36:45 AM
future me
Topic: end justify the means
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:00:42 AM

consequentialism is a philosophy, which no one but philosophers (and excaelis) would normally mention. I don't think it is even that important within philosophy, just a part of utilitarianism, a theoretical description ( with apologies to all you moral philosophers out there).

'the end justifies the means' is a common idiom that everybody uses, and is a very good way of expressing a complex moral point in everyday experience.
eg collateral damage: how many people is it OK to kill by accident if your aim is to save them? Should you cut jobs to save the economy? Should you murder innocent civilians to gain independence etc. etc

the link directing you to consequentialism my have been technically correct, but was sending you to an obscure philosophical theory, rather than a useful meaning! I am sure 'the end justifies the means' existed in all cultures before thinkers like Kant and John Stuart Mill started writing about it and someone labelled a theory as 'consequentialism'![/quote]

thank you for clearing it out =)
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:41:36 AM
thar , i loved ur 1st explanation Applause very clear and got the point.
but ur 2nd post was quite confusing, i dint really ask for Consequentialism, but i did mention it because when i typed end justifies the mean in TFD it redirected me to Consequentialism which totally confused me.. so i take it from ur 2nd post that they both have different intentions or meanings?

and Ravindra Applause Loved ur post and especially how u stated "There is a point beyond which even justice becomes unjust"
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:00:26 PM
AKA as Consequentialism

does it mean that the consequence of an action justifies the reason why the action was done?

if not, can somebody explain it in simple english with an easy example that i can recall everytime i forget the meaning Brick wall

thanx , really appreciate it

oh nd i tried readin whats written on TFD but i dint truly understand it..
Topic: What is the diffrence Revenge and Avenge ?
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 11:50:45 AM
thar wrote:
avenge is a verb
you avenge the deed that hurt you

revenge is a noun
you take revenge on someone who hurt you

so, you avenge your father's death by taking revenge on the man who killed him.

avenger can be a noun : the masked avenger, someone who punishes people for the bad things they have done, to pay them back.

and vengeful and avenging are the adjectives (avenging being the present participal)

there is no verb directly to revenge, you have to take revenge on something or someone.

Sometimes you can avenge a person "he shall be avenged", when what you are basically saying is "his death shall be avenged" or whatever, not always fatal.

I liked this explanation, sounds very clear to me.
Topic: The Brain that Changes Itself
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:13:18 AM
Netts wrote:
Thanks for the link, psychegirl. The research is turning long-held beliefs about the brain upside-down. One amazing chapter was about a girl who was born with only half a brain. It wasn't that it had been damaged through stroke for example, it had never developed. She had problems with abstract concepts and some limitations with the right side of her body, very sensitive hearing amongst other things. She also had amazing abilities in other areas, e.g. she could tell you what day of the week any date fell on - but only from the time she was born - anything before that needed a 'quick' calculation.

I googled 'Dr Michael Merzenich' whose research was mentioned during the first half of the book and ended up on lumosity.com and have been doing the 'brain training' exercises and I 'think' I'm a bit sharper in some areas. I would love to have my brain mapped to show me exactly where I'm lacking!

about the lumosity website, it did help me find out my weak areas but continuing to play the exercises specific for those areas dint really help me improve :( neither did i know what else to do to help me develop those areas..

i wonder if theres a book that can help me develop certain weak areas of my brain?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.