User Name: TL Hobs
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,374
[0.17% of all post / 0.45 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Hey TEXANS: If You Know Beans About Chili...
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:47:06 PM
Down around San Antonio, Texas chili is referred to as a Bowl of Red. If it does have beans in it (heaven forbid) it is called a Bowl of Red on a Jukebox.

My mamma used to make chili using cayenne peppers, coarse ground chuck with lots of fat, cumin, onions and not much else. No beans, no tomatoes and definitely no cheese or spaghetti (YUK).

She started by splitting open the cayennes and drying them on a cookie sheet under the oven pilot light, back in the day when ovens had pilot lights. The next day, she cut up a chuck roast into pieces of beef about the size of a .45 caliber bullet, blended the cayenne in with the meat as she ran it through a hand cranked meat grinder using a coarse grind blade. That went into a bowl, covered with wax paper and placed in the refrigerator overnight to give the meat some time to absorb the pepper. The next day it all went into a cast iron dutch oven and cooked all day long, occasionally skimming some of the grease off the top. Good chili has lots of grease. You knew when it had the right amount of cayenne if your eyes began to water when you walked into the kitchen. Us kids would eat it when we got hungry enough to endure the burn.

The way to judge a good bowl of red is to place it on your head and see if your tongue tries to beat a hole through the roof of your mouth to get a taste. Drool

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Topic: This Day in History
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:23:38 PM
The saxophone produces a sexy sound, but the harmonica is my choice of instrument to learn to play, primarily due to the fact that it can be carried in a pocket. I have been playing them since the 1960s. Charlie McCoy, Charlie Musslewhite, Mickey Rafael, Magic Dick (Richard Salwitz of J.Geils fame), Bob Dylan, Toots Theilemans, Jerry Portnoy, and others are my favorites that I have tried to emulate. Blues, folk, jazz, rock n roll, and country are good genres for the harmonica.

Check out Jim "Turbodog" Antaki's website http://www.turboharp.com/ for the most innovative development of the instrument since Hohner invented the Marine Band diatonic harp. I have one of his earliest electronic harmonicas, the Turbo ELX, that uses a LED pickup, versus an acoustic pickup, to translate reed movement to sound. There is no feedback or hand noise from it. It's awesome and allows the harp player to compete with the lead guitarist.

"When you don't know where you are going, you have to stick together just in case someone gets there." - Ken Kesey
Topic: Sharing the Blame Over Syria - Foreign Policy
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 8:36:25 PM
Yarin wrote:

And blood to the US means business.

Yep, you nailed it. War is good for the economy and what is good for the economy is good for the country. Therefore, war is good for the country. That is the logic used by politicians to justify their idiotic behavior.

The problem with your logic, Yarin, is that you exclude all others from any blame and lay it all on the US. I hate to tell you comrade, but ALL countries engaged in war are to blame. Blood is on all their hands.

The need for war is due to a failure to overcome social differences by peaceful means.

The only way to stop a war is to quit killing people. Period.

Topic: Total Insanity
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 8:26:38 PM

You are probably right. I wasn't there to personally test the victims. From the video footage shown, it is quite possible that all those people just had too much to drink and were suffering from a hangover, or got into some bad vodka. Maybe they were enjoying themselves at the beach and gulped too much salt water and got some in their eyes. Perhaps, the kids were huffing bath salts to get high.

The point is, who gives a damn? People are dying. The missile strike killed people, too. Bunker bombs kill people and destroy evidences of civilization. War is not good for people and other living things. Political leaders who think they can kill for peace are insane. War is insane. Suicide bombers are insane. Regardless of the weapon used, they kill. Killing people is insane. Refugees attempting to escape the madness die. Some of them do not survive the journey.

We used to say "Killing for peace is like fucking for virginity."

Yarin, you did your duty to troll the internet and support Putin's bullsh*it. I hope you are paid well, comrade.

Topic: Decline of American Men
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 2:03:36 PM

Let's not forget to pray for paid internet trolls who spread their misery like manure on a hay field. May they not lose their livelihood, too, as they are not eligible for unemployment insurance and won't be counted.

Topic: Total Insanity
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 2:00:58 PM
The Trump and the Millionaires Club (the US Congress)have reached the pinnacle of insanity with the recent bombing of a Syrian airbase in retaliation for Assad's use of a chemical weapon on civilians.

First of all, it appears to be OK for the US and Russia to drop bunker bombs on kids in Syria, but not chemicals. It is better to kill them quickly and for most of them to avoid a slow agonizing death. After all, we must maintain the dignity of killing kids in a humane manner.

Secondly, we must get rid of Assad. He is the problem. He is a brutal dictator intent on killing anyone who opposes his regime. We cannot allow him to continue. No matter what. No country should be ruled by a leader who lies, directs a unilateral military response to any opposition to his ideals, and does not listen to advisors who says what he doesn't want to hear. Can't have that.

Thirdly, we must stop ISIS and the rebels who oppose Assad. The caliphate must be squelched and we must protect our Christian god, insofar as possible. The Jews are OK, too, but not the Muslims. After all, we have God on our side.

Fourth, Under the Trump regime, Russia is now our enemy/friend. They are our foe/ally. ISIS is our enemy/friend that we support by bombing the Assad military targets when we aren't shooting at them. Iran is our enemy that we support in the same way.

Fifth, we must get rid of all those old Tomahawk missiles and buy some new ones. The old ones cost $1 million each and don't have all the bells and whistles that the new ones do. Raytheon sells the new ones for $1.5 million each. Dropping 59 old ones cost over $60 million and did not even interrupt use of the airstrip. The new ones will do a much better job of blowing up some concrete.

Folks, this is pure insanity. I have the ONLY correct solution for ending the war in Syria, or anyplace else, for that matter. My plan is for people to put down the weapons and quit killing each other. I challenge anyone to provide a better way. Meanwhile, go buy stock in Raytheon. The munitions suppliers are making a killing in the market, as well as on land.

Topic: Congratulations, Justice Neil Gorsuch (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 1:36:52 PM
The Trump and the GOP made their bed, now they will have to lay in it.

This, of course, is from a fair minded liberal, not a paid troll like Parser.

Topic: Shelby Steele Deconstructs "Liberals"
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 6:08:29 PM
redgriffin wrote:
Until the Republicans see that Trickle Down Econ is a joke and the Democrats see that not everything can be solved by entitlement alone we will never See A Great America again.

This is the most reasonable statement I have read in a long time.

Topic: The President who cried "Wolf!"
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 3:30:03 PM

The Trump and his staff's propensity for telling lies to the public is disturbing because it appears they really believe the lies they tell. It is also disturbing that they make excuses for their lies and use euphemisms to describe a lie. They cannot call a lie by its name. A lie is a lie is a lie. Period.

The Bowling Green Massacre, promises to release income tax records after the audit, alternative-facts, whatever it was that supposedly happened in Sweden last Friday, the number of electoral collage votes, the size of the Inaugural audience, why Flynn was fired, etc. are all examples of the Trump's lies and those of his senior staff. The list is long and disturbing.

The most disturbing thing about this is that their lies cause the public to lose confidence in anything they say. What will happen if their is a real threat or crisis being reported by the White House and nobody believes them? Is this the Trump's idea of national security?

People lie to hide the truth. What is the Trump hiding?

Topic: Dear liberls, from a Trump supporter.
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2017 4:23:34 PM
Furthermore....

All citizens are subjected to the actions of government, not just the voters. Therefore, I restate my claim that 15% of the population did not vote for the Trump. Period. A mandate suggests to me that more than half of the population is required to give a mandate. Even 28% of all those registered to vote doesn't make that mark.

The Repuglikkklans have been engaged in voter suppression tactics for many years. Voter ID laws, access to polls, reduced times for early voting to accommodate working class people, gerrymandering voter districts, are some of the methods used. Fortunately, the courts have overturned the worst ones. Tunaafi may have been gone from the US too long to be aware of this.

The Trump did not serve in the military. He had a 2S deferment for attending college and when that ran out, he was reclassified 4F for having bone spurs. 4F classification means that the person is physically unfit for military service. I wonder if he still has those spurs? If so, doesn't that imply he is unfit to be Commander In Chief. In my day, he was called a draft dodger for avoiding service. Maybe he couldn't get into the Air National Guard.

Calling Democrats "sore losers" cracked me like an egg in laughter. The Repuglikkklans refused to give a hearing for over a year to President Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court because they were being good sports about it? That is the pot calling the kettle black.

The Trump is not my President and never will be. I am patiently waiting for Congress to quit holding their noses to avoid his stink and impeach him, if he doesn't kill us all first.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.