Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 16
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: My so-called Victorian accent
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:18:36 PM
Thanks a lot to those who indeed answered my question. ;)

Today I spoke to my friend again and she said that when she said I had a Victorian accent, she meant my pronunciation was very proper and clear, not that I sounded British or anything like that.

So, although I'm not a native speaker, apparently I don't sound like a Brazilian when I'm speaking English. By the way, how does a Brazilian usually sound to English speaking ears? And another question: how does Portuguese sound to you? Does it sound weird, good, difficult?
Topic: My so-called Victorian accent
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:40:39 PM
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this topic; but I couldn't find a better section to post what I wanted to ask...

I'm Brazilian and my native language is Portuguese. Today I was speaking to an American girl and I asked her about how I sounded in English. She said: 'I don't know, you sound European, maybe Victorian. Your English sounds very proper'.

I didn't have time to ask her about the Victorian part, but I was really surprised to hear that and I'm not sure I understood what she was trying to say.

Although you guys can't listen to my speaking, can you tell what she probably meant with my apparently European, Victorian and proper accent?

Thanks a lot.

Topic: Meaning of "Don't make this easy on me"?
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 4:55:15 PM
kaliedel wrote:
To add to what another poster said above, I've usually heard it in the form of "Don't go easy on me."

Meaning what, kaliedel?

I think lisadr put it in a way it made sense.
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:54:35 PM
saintvivant1 wrote:
Maybe it was meant as a joke. What was the TV show? Was it a comedy?

No, it was a drama series. Do you think it might be ironic? Think
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:57:14 PM
Isaac Samuel wrote:
In the context you mentioned,normally it would make sense to me only if you rephrase it as "do not make this hard on me",but in your culture the word "easy" may carry more than one meaning(connotation) to warrant this phrase. I hope you hear from someone who is familiar with both cultures to explain this better.

Actually for me it would make sense too only if it were "don't make this hard on me"! I heard that sentence in an American TV show, and the word was "easy", not "hard". It doesn't have anything to do with my native language (Portuguese). Can anyone explain?
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:59:12 PM
What does the phrase "Don't make this easy on me" mean? I thought it was something like "Don't spare me punishment", but in the context I heard the expression, it doesn't make sense. Here's the context:

"I'm sorry I'm so late, but I have an excellent excuse, so don't make this easy on me".

Can anyone help me, please?
Thanks!
Topic: Por que só divulgamos o que é ruim?
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 9:13:54 PM
Concordo! É importante nos lembrarmos disso de vez em quando. ;)
Topic: Help! "Down by the"
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:09:36 PM
catskincatskin wrote:
It doesn't necessarily mean a place lower than where the observer is. The word "down" here can be used to simply mean that the Salley Gardens are not where the speaker is currently. Also, the phrases "down by" or "down at" suggests familiarity ("down at the old ball park," for example).

Thanks a lot!
Topic: Help! "Down by the"
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 6:17:46 PM
There is a poem called "Down by the Salley Gardens" by William Butler Yeats and I want to know what the expression "down by" means in the title. Are the Salley Gardens a place that is lower than where the observer is?

I'm confused! Could anyone help me, please?

Thanks in advance.
Topic: Meaning of "whistle down the wind"
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:34:17 PM
It means to defame somebody. The reputation of the person may be blown upon. :)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.