Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 5
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Pet Peeves
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 6:41:46 AM
Hello Everyone!

I've been enjoying reading all about your pet peeves on here. I share most of them, but would like to add one more which, while reading the news online over the past week, has cropped up time and again to my GREAT annoyance! It's the incorrect use of "woman" and "women", can you believe!!??

I just wish journalists would re-read their work before publishing it online! I can understand that there is a lot of competition to get the breaking news stories of the moment online as soon as possible, but it actually contributes to the further eroding of general standards which seems to have taken root in society today. I mean, how can we expect English teachers to teach correct English grammar when it seems no-one in the "real world" bothers to use it?
Topic: Easiest Language
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 6:28:56 AM
Firstly, I don't think there's such a thing as an "easy" language, never mind a language one could describe as "the easiest". All languages are complex and are the result of centuries of use, experimentation and history, which is why the most common verbs in most languages I know tend to also be the most irregular!

It is logical to assume that if your native language is from the Germanic group of languages then another Germanic language would be easier to learn, however, that has not been my case. I am a native English speaker and have had classes in German, French, Spanish and Italian and have found the Latin-based languages much easier than German, perhaps because they just appeal more to the way my brain works, which I think, ultimately, is the key. What is logical to one person is not necessarily so to another. I also agree with Demonrob that liking a language is also an important motivating factor when it comes to mastering it!

I also second Valenarwen's comment to S3callyx; if English grammar were so easy then there is surely no excuse for the plethora of grammatical errors in your post, which includes particularly poor use of articles and prepositions! Shame on you!
Topic: the stereotype of a british accent equating to high intelligence.
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 6:12:24 AM
And in reply to vr, who is spot on in his assessment of the late Princess Diana, we Brits love to include an Upper Class twit in our comedies - the private schoolboy with the posh English accent, but a sandwich short of a picnic, or at the very least an awkward bumbler (e.g. Hugh Grant). That's why Hugh Laurie as Dr House came as somewhat of a shock to us! The hard-nosed, intelligent American doctor, played by our own home-grown comedian whose speciality was always the Upper Class twit!

Check out "Jeeves & Wooster" or "Blackadder" episodes on YouTube to appreciate the difference!! I guess there was a pretty good dramatic actor in him, as well as him being a fine comedy actor.
Topic: family guy.
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:14:45 AM
We also get Family Guy in Spain and the UK (I live in Spain but am British), so I can appreciate the original version and the Spanish version. In the original, Stewie has a Recieved Pronunciation, or Standard English accent. In Britain we all know this of course, which we assume is part of the general joke (i.e. the fact that he's incredibly intelligent and has a non-American accent all adding to his own sense that he doesn't belong to the American family portrayed - that he was somehow wrongly put there). Having lived in the States I know that you guys often equate, unconciously, an upper class English accent to someone who is well-educated and intelligent (hence many British actors are asked to do adverts or play certain roles), this is also another reason why perhaps Stewie has a Standard English accent, to make him sound more intelligent to an American audience, and that is definitely why he seems to over-pronounce his "h"s!

In Spain he just sounds like an educated old man when he speaks, but they haven't made him sound like an English person speaking Spanish at least!
Topic: English Spelling Reform
Posted: Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:33:28 AM
And which accent/dialect would we choose to base our phonetic spelling on? "Tomarto" or "Tomayto"??

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.