The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: bugdoctor
About
User Name: bugdoctor
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation: Free lance writer, medical, academic
Interests: body building, reading, writing
Gender: Male
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Last Visit: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:49:52 AM
Number of Posts: 1,792
[0.22% of all post / 0.59 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Happy Pi Day
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:49:34 AM


"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Jeremy Lin, a Chinese? or an American?
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:45:53 AM
dingdong wrote:
bugdoctor wrote:

Hello Dingdong.
Actually, your post does not help to explain your cynicism. You said that Lin was a nobody who eats junk food and plays computer games. I presume this all came from the ONE interview you made reference to. I think we'd both be surprised at the successful people who enjoy both those 'vices'. The fact that young people in China jump at the opportunity to worship the rich and famous does not explain why you would criticize Mr. Lin without more evidence. But that is your right. Perhaps his commitment to his dream, his success through hard work, and his humility are not important virtues for you. Or perhaps they are not important enough to separate him from your perception of the common herd.

My post was not a criticism of you personally, but was, instead, a tentative endorsement of a young man who seems to have found success through personal sacrifice and commitment - something that should be motivating to us all.





I should have made a better job of explaining my thinking about the relative merits of Lin and my heroic rickshaw driver. The fact that you, Bugdoctor, seem only to focus on my perceptions of Lin, show me I have failed.

I focus on that because it is the primary issue in this thread.

If I have offended anyone with my opinions, then it is too bad, but it was not my intention to insult Lin, but to show that he is a normal human being who has done nothing special. He is thus unworthy of mass adoration.

Choosing our ‘heros’ and those we elevate to ‘star’ status is an individual choice. We each have our reasons for giving additional respect or high regard. In your value system, he is unworthy of mass adoration. I respect your right to feel that way. If is, after all, something based on individual opinion. Your statement, however, was in the absolute: “He is thus unworthy of mass adoration.” - According to you. You said he has done nothing special. By what measure? After all, the issue here is that he is a BASKETBALL player with Chinese heritage who, through hard work and dedication, has done noteworthy things in his profession, AND he's been modest and unassuming about it. Clearly he is worthy in the eyes of a large number of others. Just ask anyone who lives in New York.


The rickshaw driver who built a hospital with his meagre life savings touched me more than I can say. Here is a humble man who valued hard work, and showed his commitment to help fellow human beings in distress.

This thread is not about your rickshaw driver, who - in another discussion seems to be someone who could also be held up as a roll model.


To suggest I don't value these qualities, Bugdoctor, is insane. It is a shame you didn't read all my posts before drawing your conclusions.

I never said you didn’t value these qualities. I said “PERHAPS his commitment to his dream, his success through hard work, and his humility are not important virtues for you.” Clearly he exhibits these traits, but you made an adamant statement that he was unworthy. If you feel, however, that these attributes ARE worthy of such accolades, then perhaps you could you point out which of these qualities he has not exhibited that would elicit your displeasure. Otherwise, we will all still wonder.



Well, I don't know about Lin's sacrifice. You insist he is a paragon; that is your right, Bugdoctor.

I never said he was a paragon. He is not perfection, and he is not a peerless example. IMO, he is, however, at least at the present time, a good roll model for our youth.


I would be more inclined to believe in his 'goodness' if he donated - 'sacrificed' - some of his wealth to good causes. That would make him a better role model, in my opinion.

Perhaps. But roll models come in all shapes and sizes, and offer a wide variety of contributions, only some of which include money. However, based on your comment above, are we therefore to assume that you think giving money is a prerequisite to being a roll model?

I would like to commend Aljazeera. They gave the same air time to the rickshaw driver as Lin. In fact, one news report followed the other, nicely contrasting the relative 'sacrifices' of the subjects.

What lin does and what your rickshaw driver does are not related to each other. One can compare the contributions of Gandhi with the mayor of some small town in Kansas who was instrumental in getting a new high school built in their community. My question would be simply: Why?
They have nothing to do with each other, and neither do Lin nor your rickshaw driver. Not everyone can be a Gandhi or a Mother Teresa. We each contribute in our own way. Jeremy Lin is a basketball player. He’s never claimed to be anything else. He has not embarrassed the team, or himself, with bad conduct, and he has, instead, modestly assumed a leadership role for which his countrymen are proud - and IMO - justly so. Perhaps you’d like to start a thread about YOUR hero. There, it will be fitting to lift your praises and toast him, along with others who have given beyond measure.

Your response to my note is laced with defensiveness and, it appears, a desire to create a confrontational situation with me. I do not wish that. I respect your right to feel as you do. However, when you criticize another in a manner which IMO is unfair or uncalled for, I reserve the right to offer a dissenting opinion.

I think this avenue of thought has run its course and I shall no longer participate in this thread.

I wish you well.





"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Jeremy Lin, a Chinese? or an American?
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 9:50:01 PM
dingdong wrote:
I only saw a brief, and rather unflattering interview. But the worrying point is that anything other than his celebrity status is irrelevant to the Chinese. He could be a serial rapist in his free time; it wouldn't matter. When I pointed out negative aspects of students' choices, they either said nothing or shrugged. So what? Never mind the person, never mind the value of his / her work, just feel the banknotes.

I hope this helps to explain my cynicism.



Hello Dingdong.
Actually, your post does not help to explain your cynicism. You said that Lin was a nobody who eats junk food and plays computer games. I presume this all came from the ONE interview you made reference to. I think we'd both be surprised at the successful people who enjoy both those 'vices'. The fact that young people in China jump at the opportunity to worship the rich and famous does not explain why you would criticize Mr. Lin without more evidence. But that is your right. Perhaps his commitment to his dream, his success through hard work, and his humility are not important virtues for you. Or perhaps they are not important enough to separate him from your perception of the common herd.

My post was not a criticism of you personally, but was, instead, a tentative endorsement of a young man who seems to have found success through personal sacrifice and commitment - something that should be motivating to us all.


"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Jeremy Lin, a Chinese? or an American?
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 5:15:05 PM
dingdong wrote:
I have just seen him being interviewed. He is a nobody (sorry, fans); his hobbies are eating junk food and playing computer games. What can anyone learn from this? Is he inspiring?
Be inspired by the rickshaw driver from Bangladesh (see my recent post) - That would make the world a better place.
Okay, I'm stepping down from my soap-box now.



I don't think that what Jeremy Lin eats or whether he plays computer games has anything to do with it. He's an athlete. For some reason, we as a society often feel that athletes MUST be a roll model, which isn't true. Roll models are not confined to any ethnic, gender, or professional group. We should choose our roll models carefully for what they are, not what they do for a living. However, with that as a backdrop, Lin is, in many ways, an excellent roll model because he's a hard worker, raised himself up through the ranks, is modest and unassuming, and gives a lot of credit to others rather than himself.

As to the primary question in this thread, I've never been a proponent of identifying a U.S. citizen as a part of another ethnic/nationalistic group. Though I fully support one's pride for his/her heritage, I feel that I first and foremost, am an American. After that, I have an English/Irish Heritage, just as Lin has a Chinese (Taiwan?) heritage that he should be proud of. But if you say you're a citizen of the United States (or any country, for that matter), that should be the most emphatic characterization. We're all in this boat together, going ...... somewhere. Hopefully it will dock in a place that offers hope and opportunity for all.

For those of you who might question the bold font, please accept it as a way of distinguishing it from the quoted poster, AND as away of allowing one with a failing eyesight to see what he's added to the discussion.
Angel



"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: What is your favorite joke?
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:14:59 PM
Question:
What did the Zen Master say to the hot dog vender?

Answer:
Make me one with everything.



"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Bodybuilding Help
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:04:55 AM
Another useful tidbit would be to find an experienced workout partner. He/she can help you with proper form, and suggest solid routines. They're also valuable for the positive encouragement you'll get from them as you progress. In addition, a workout partner will be valuable in getting you to the gym on those days when you just don't feel like it. Knowing that someone else is depending on you to be there is an additional incentive.

"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Scientists Create Supersoldier Ants
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:08:50 PM
HWNN1961 wrote:
If Gary Larson were still penning his hilarious single-panel comic stips, his take might be something like this:


Picture an ant mound, with just a foot or a hand sticking out of it. A woman, inevitably clad in sequin glasses and wearing her hair in a bun would be screaming toward the homestead where little Jimmy is on the front porch:

"Call 911 Jimmy, ants, ants have taken your Grandpa!".


Actually, that's not far from the truth, although the reality of it in the popular press can sometimes be greatly exaggerated. As an example, fire ants overwhelm and kill various animals from quail to deer, but it is usually the young of these victim species that are most susceptible. Most large animals can simply walk away from an attack, unless they happen to be HIGHLY susceptible to the fire ant venom. One relatively rare occurrence is the death to newborn calves which are dropped in the field directly onto a fire ant mound. If enough ants attack the calf before it can 'get it's legs', then death can result.

Here's a page that offers a bit more insight.

HWNN1961, I did get a charge out of your description of what Gary Larson might have 'seen'. I LOVE that strip, and miss it every day.


"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: “unforgettable memory” improper?
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:45:16 AM
dingdong wrote:
Bugdoctor,

You say there are a number of "grossly incorrect statements" on this thread. Could you please list them?

I see you reside in the US. I don't, so I am in no position to dispute your claim that the word 'improper' thrives, but may I suggest it thrives only in highly literate circles of which you are most likely a part?The

Just a query: why do you find it appropriate to use the bold font?


Hello Dingdong,

The grossly incorrect statements include the ideas that the word 'improper' is old fashioned and primarily used as a sexual reference. I remember that you referred to yourself recently as 'a kid'. Therefore, I understand the position from which you come. I asked in a previous post that those who feel these statements are true should simply Google the word to see how the rest of the world is using it. Certainly highly literate people are not the only ones using the internet. If you do this, you will find full documentation for what I've stated. After seeing those examples, if you choose to stand fast in your position, then I applaud you for your steadfastness in the face of strong evidence to the contrary.

And lastly, yes, I do find it appropriate to use bold font. Is there something you find inappropriate about its use? I see nothing improper and sometimes we 'old codgers' just need a larger, darker print.

Angel




"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: “unforgettable memory” improper?
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 9:16:56 AM
Romany wrote:
I, very respectfully, however, stand entirely by what I said in the context in which it appeared and as advice to the OP.


"Whether right or wrong, if one feels so strongly about his position that it becomes a point of honor, then he should defend that position to the death." anonymous (probably a politician who died in some meaningless duel).
Angel


"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Topic: “unforgettable memory” improper?
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:22:36 PM
Romany wrote:


Besides which, the word 'improper' itself has a rather old-fashioned ring to it and isn't part of the lexicon of most younger people today.


I have, for some time now, reduced my involvement here to the roll of ‘lurker’. I read, digest, and move on. But I simply must jump in here because this thread has a number of grossly incorrect statements that continue to be promoted as truths. I do not wish to create any ill will, or confrontations because that is the very reason I've moved into the shadows on these fora. I wish my post to be viewed as a respectfully dissenting opinion, replete with documentation for my position.

First, the word ‘improper’ is not an archaic word. It is commonly used in today’s English language, and though using it with a sexual innuendo is also commonplace, that is not the primary function of the word. It is simply one of many. Please Google the phrase ‘things that are improper’, not to actually find such a list, but to see the literally thousands of hits where people today are using the word 'improper' in endless examples and expressions to reflect those behaviors which someone considers to be in bad taste, unsuitable, indecorous, or incorrect.

Certainly this useful locution is not as common within the argot of some groups, as Romany has suggested, just as these groups have common verbiage that rarely enters my vernacular. There are Billions of people on this planet who are not considered 'young',and though it is the 'young' who often bring new words into use, the lack of use within this group is not the primary cause of words falling from grace.


Once again, I reiterate - the word ‘improper’ thrives in the language of today, and is FAR from archaic.


"Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.