Interests: Playing with kids, Teaching, Listening to old-films songs
Home Page http://thefreedictionary.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 646
[0.08% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Friendship Day.
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 7:58:17 AM
Thank you Joshi. I greet you and all others here on this Day.

People, in general, have changed, rather exchanged everything including themselves, a lot! Regrettably, the time-tested meanings too are witnessing a sea-change!
A person, who is known to us from childhood, who grew up with us and studied in the same institutions, and stands by us in thick and thin is called a 'friend'. And a person whom we just see daily and smile at in bus stops or on roads too is referred to as 'friend'! Whereas, I think, the difference between an 'acquintence' and a 'friendship' is like that of a 'lightning and a 'lightning bug'.
People, generally, care a hoot for everything; including that of parental or blood relationships! They value most the man made material things and maroon the God made beings.
Whiter are we wAndering?

Part of diplomacy is to open different definitions of self-interest.
Hillary Clinton

Ravindra
Topic: will vs would
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:37:28 AM
Thar and DragOnspeaker have explicitly answered it. I thank them.

A reported speech shall never have 'will'. A reported speech talks about a past incident or statement, hence 'will' (referring to the future) never fits in.

Grammar, which knows how to control even kings.
Moliere

Ravindra
Topic: We have always to believe...
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 3:06:34 AM
We always have to listen to the flow of the sentence than the other way discussed.
I go with Koh Elaine's say that, " ... adverbs are flexible - they don't really mind too much where they go".

Everybody has a theory.
Daniel Handler

Ravindra
Topic: vocabulary power
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 6:00:49 AM
Rich Thanks to you, Drag0nspeaker. BBC's recommendation, 'Read, read and then read. Then, for a change, read.", indeed enables one to have a say in any language, here English.

The best students come from homes where education is revered: where there are books, and children see their parents reading them.
Leo Buscaglia

Ravindra
Topic: vocabulary power
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 1:33:20 AM
Fantastic NKM. A lot in a nutshell!

Don't get me wrong, I admire elegance and have an appreciation of the finer things in life. But to me, beauty lies in simplicity.
Mark Hyman

Ravindra
Topic: Periods & Sentence Ends!
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2017 1:35:31 AM
During our school days, typewriting was not taught in schools. There were institutes teaching typing and stenography. I passed these exams in 1972, after college. There were Underwood, Halda, Godrej, typewriters. A job was sure with typing and shorthand skills. Good old days. Thank you Hedy, FounDit, and Coag.

Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory.
Franklin Pierce Adams

Ravindra
Topic: Do You KNow Horseshoe Crabs Have Blue Blood?(31)
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 2:30:17 AM
Thank you Joshi jee. This is interesting and informative too.

The desire of knowledge, like the thirst for riches,
increases ever with the acquisition of it.
Laurence Sterne

Ravindra
Topic: Woenderful Flight
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:42:46 AM
Thank you Joshi jee. We were taught this in SSLC in 1964. One, Mr. Spicer Charles detailed it so impressively that I distinctly visualize that class for ever! I must state Joshi jee, gone are those days leaving indelible impressions. They were dedicated and learned teachers.

If you have to put someone on a pedestal, put teachers. They are society's heroes.
Guy Kawasaki

Ravindra
Topic: Why American teachers quit their jobs
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 5:27:50 AM
Epiphileon, a country which boasts of the top varsities and draws almost every fifth child from here for higher education has such a gloomy schooling system. Unbelievable! But I do.

Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.
Kofi Annan

Ravindra
Topic: Why American teachers quit their jobs
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 2:53:55 AM
Thank you Parser (Could I address you thus please?) for an interesting topic. Here, such unruly situation used to be existent in colleges. Thanks to the Indian Movies. They (movies) are prompting the young to embrace the most unhealthy practices to the school going. Love, rather lust, challenging parents,and street fights, are the main curricula for the students. Extra curricular activities that used to be compulsory in the institutions have to be searched for now. Soon the gun culture would make inroads here too. Am not a pessimist. This is the existing reality here.

One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.
Malala Yousafzai

Ravindra

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.