Interests: Playing with kids, Teaching, Listening to old-films songs
Home Page http://thefreedictionary.com
Statistics
Number of Posts: 651
[0.08% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: So Sorry, Somalia
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 6:23:29 AM
This, and such other, news wrenches my heart. My heart goes out to those unfortunate and to their relatives. May wisdom dawn on these senseless perpetrators.
Hope, I must say, I am pained to note your way of expression - you said "..... It is good that we remember all countries when disasters happen,......". Here the word 'good', I fervently feel, is .......

No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.
Robin Williams

Ravindra
Topic: Shouldn't it be "work" instead of "works" instead?
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 2:14:49 AM
Perhaps, repair work at different points.

He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.
Elbert Hubbard

Ravindra
Topic: Good news from Tunisia
Posted: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:29:55 AM
Great! Kudos. There shouldn't be any discrimination between men and women. Some sections (obviously men only) in the name of religion and its protection do raise stern objection and rally to scuttle the Right Cause. Nothing should deter such Just Causes. I wish the President and his supporters a thumping success. May Allah bless them.

Gender equality will only be reached if we are able to empower women.
Michelle Bachelet

Ravindra
Topic: Meaning of "With compliments from...".
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 6:22:25 AM
Thank you leonAzul.

Ravindra
Topic: Meaning of "With compliments from...".
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:28:39 AM
Thank you leonAzulfor for that (cynical) explanation. I had to tuck my smile (could I say this?)

Peace begins with a smile.
Mother Teresa

Ravindra
Topic: Friendship Day.
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2017 7:58:17 AM
Thank you Joshi. I greet you and all others here on this Day.

People, in general, have changed, rather exchanged everything including themselves, a lot! Regrettably, the time-tested meanings too are witnessing a sea-change!
A person, who is known to us from childhood, who grew up with us and studied in the same institutions, and stands by us in thick and thin is called a 'friend'. And a person whom we just see daily and smile at in bus stops or on roads too is referred to as 'friend'! Whereas, I think, the difference between an 'acquintence' and a 'friendship' is like that of a 'lightning and a 'lightning bug'.
People, generally, care a hoot for everything; including that of parental or blood relationships! They value most the man made material things and maroon the God made beings.
Whiter are we wAndering?

Part of diplomacy is to open different definitions of self-interest.
Hillary Clinton

Ravindra
Topic: will vs would
Posted: Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:37:28 AM
Thar and DragOnspeaker have explicitly answered it. I thank them.

A reported speech shall never have 'will'. A reported speech talks about a past incident or statement, hence 'will' (referring to the future) never fits in.

Grammar, which knows how to control even kings.
Moliere

Ravindra
Topic: We have always to believe...
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 3:06:34 AM
We always have to listen to the flow of the sentence than the other way discussed.
I go with Koh Elaine's say that, " ... adverbs are flexible - they don't really mind too much where they go".

Everybody has a theory.
Daniel Handler

Ravindra
Topic: vocabulary power
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 6:00:49 AM
Rich Thanks to you, Drag0nspeaker. BBC's recommendation, 'Read, read and then read. Then, for a change, read.", indeed enables one to have a say in any language, here English.

The best students come from homes where education is revered: where there are books, and children see their parents reading them.
Leo Buscaglia

Ravindra
Topic: vocabulary power
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 1:33:20 AM
Fantastic NKM. A lot in a nutshell!

Don't get me wrong, I admire elegance and have an appreciation of the finer things in life. But to me, beauty lies in simplicity.
Mark Hyman

Ravindra

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.