The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Epiphileon
About
User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Nature, function, utilization, and potential development of consciousness
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,185
[0.44% of all post / 1.08 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Feeling Happy!
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 4:05:10 AM
Happy Orbital Anniversary Hope!

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Topic: Mathew tells about Jesus
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:31:33 AM
purplishh wrote:
jesus said, whoever shall do the will of my father which is in heaven, the same is my brother my sister and mother. how fortunate you are, your eyes see and your ears hear.

Well just think how weird it would be if we saw through our ears and heard through our eyes. I once watched a friend's voice travel through the air and felt the sound waves break around my nose and travel in my ear canals but it was still my ears that eventually heard what he'd said.

Topic: Unhinged and Insane
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 5:25:50 AM
I don't think he is at all insane, and all his bluster and bullshit is purposely done to distract from his actual agenda which has nothing to do with the good of the country and everything to do with the enrichment of him and his cronies.

Topic: The Default Ignorance of Personal Mortality
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2019 4:13:48 AM
Hope123 wrote:

I know what depression feels like from when I used to have it before I had the toxic metal poisoning removed and this is not it, but my reaction upon awakening each morning is - still doing this what's on for today. And sometimes at night - well, the reality is, that for better or worse, there is one fewer day left.

High Hope, I too know the horror that is clinical depression, there was a period of my life where if I could have willed myself to die I probably would have. The one benefit, I guess I must say, of my own father's suicide was that it instilled in me a prohibition of ever bringing that kind of nightmare upon my own children and family. It is hard to fathom that period was just less than 20 years ago. I sometimes wonder if it had not been for that experience if I would ever have come to the great appreciation I have now for the experience of being an experiencing being.

Hope123 wrote:
Of course no one wants pain and it is mostly controlled these days, so what I ponder mostly about death is what it will be like to have complete and final loss of consciousness - there will be a world without me in it. It is hard for all humans to imagine that the world can exist independently of them, because we were created as egotistical creatures. I think it will only be like some parts of sleeping or when under anesthetics. But the worst part will be the loss of the experiences of living to the fullest, of having compassion for and enjoying ALL life, the beauty of the world, and for loving fully.

Sorry to hear you are dealing with chronic pain Hope that can certainly wear you down. The concept of personal non-existence is indeed a difficult one for humans to grasp, and it is indeed so odd that we can even form thoughts like what will the experience of not experiencing be like? One of my professors had an interesting related notion, he used to say that each of us is our own eternal being for we are each our own alpha and omega. That idea of the worst part being the loss of the experience of being that it seems is, in some way, directly related to my point. That by being aware of our own mortality we will strive to more fully appreciate the experience of every moment, and make the best possible use of our time as these fleeting shadows upon a stage.

Hope123 wrote:
My "Abnormal Psych" prof at university many years ago made us read many many books and write reviews but one that we had to do a whole paper on was the quintessential Kubler-Ross on "Death and Dying". So I'm glad that even as a young person I was exposed to thinking about death.

I remember one of my psych professors raving about this book but I never got around to reading it. Ahhh, I had to look it up, of course, the five stages of grief it seems I can get a copy pretty cheap these days I guess I'm going to finally get around to reading it. Thanks for the reminder.

Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:02:00 AM
FounDit wrote:
The survival instinct in most creatures is a powerful one. I wonder why you would question the idea of dwelling on living and doing, rather than of dying, or death.

To focus on death, or to dwell on contemplating the end of life...
I made no mention of dwelling on death only that I find it odd that we seem to be in denial about it.

FounDit wrote:
If we focus on death rather than living, that can sap our energy, our will to do because of the fear that death normally holds over people. The will to live, the survival instinct, these oppose the fear of death, otherwise we might become paralyzed, unable to fully live and function.

Being aware of our personal mortality in no way precludes living a full and active, and joyful life, in fact it would seem to me a more conscious response is that it would make every moment more precious.

FounDit wrote:
Since we are creatures of the present, the short-term, in most of our thinking and behavior, we tend to not ponder too long on the hazy future, and what might possibly happen, especially if it involves pain, suffering, and our end in particular.

Well actually I think the insurance industry would differ on this point. But once again I am not advocating that we "ponder" on death, just that we stop pretending it's not going to happen.

FounDit wrote:
You said,
Quote:
"What I wonder is that if we are to become a species whose psychological evolution becomes more consciously driven, whether or not that pretending should come to an end."

Why would we choose to give up that pretending? It seems to me to be the very essence of what makes us continue, what drives us to do each day the things we do. There is a saying that worrying about tomorrow robs us of today. It seems to me that this is exactly what would happen if we follow the scenario of giving up the pretense we will live forever.

I think we should give up this pretense as we are a maturing species and operating on the basis of accurate interpretations of reality rather than on ignorance seems to be the wiser course.
To be aware of personal mortality does not mean worrying about it, I'm not and I've been thinking about this subject on and off for a couple of weeks now. What I have noticed is that the habit I am continually promoting of being sure to notice the wonder of being an experiencing being has become, hmmm, fuller? Maybe richer? Rather than being depressing or anxiety-provoking, the awareness seems to have just the opposite effect.

FounDit wrote:
There is, of course, the idea that death can be a motivator, which seems to be akin to what you are talking about, but I think that only can happen when death appears imminent and immediate, not a far-away circumstance.

Well, it would seem to me that this actually argues for being aware of mortality sooner than when death is imminent as I agree it is a potent motivator.

Topic: Anyway to get Windows 10 to stop trying to update?
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:34:09 AM
hmmm, not sure what to think about this. Windows has been trying and failing to update many times over the last two years, I came here asked about it and the very next time it tried it worked.
Thanks, I guess, Big Brother.

Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:30:28 AM
BobShilling wrote:
I am not sure whether my personal thoughts on this are relevant, but here they are anyway.

I actually wondered how getting a potentially terminal diagnosis might affect this tendency. Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your recovery.

Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:23:22 AM
thar wrote:
We can empathise withother people, but we can only experience our own lives.

On empirical evidence, you have experienced one life and not died: That is 100% for immortality and zero evidence of mortality - statistical proof you are not going to die.

Thanks for starting my morning with a good laugh Thar I found that hilarious.

Regarding the empathy point though, there may be something to that. Empathy allows us to experience what other people do and may even shape how we ourselves experience to some degree. We can not empathize with death as it is the end of experience. Ehhh, maybe.

The empirical evidence point may actually have something to do with it; however, I suspect, as I said, it is an actual evolutionarily developed behavior.

Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:20:13 PM
"So I'll continue to continue to pretend
My life will never end..."
(Paul Simon, Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall)

When I turned 50 I thought, "Well now I'll be aware of my mortality", then again when I turned 60, closing in on my mid-60s and the notion that my life is going to end someday still does not seem to enter my mind in any kind of meaningful way. This strikes me as odd, but not at all surprising, and perhaps odd is the wrong word. It just seems that it somehow ought to be something I am aware of, rather than what seems to be the default condition as Paul said of continuing to continue pretending my life will never end.

I am even certain that there are a plethora of reasons from a psycho-socio evolutionary perspective that this has been an adaptive strategy. What I wonder is that if we are to become a species whose psychological evolution becomes more consciously driven, whether or not that pretending should come to an end. Perhaps there are untold, unimagined benefits to an awareness that time is running out. I don't know but I am definitely curious about it thanks to Paul Simon and his turn of phrase.

Topic: Anyway to get Windows 10 to stop trying to update?
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2019 4:51:57 AM
I'm not sure how long this has been going on, probably at least a year or so. Periodically Windows 10 will attempt to update and fails, sometimes it makes it so far that it tries to boot the upgrade and crashes then it goes about restoring the previous version. Is there any way to stop it from trying?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.