The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Epiphileon
About
User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Nature, function, utilization, and potential development of consciousness
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,173
[0.44% of all post / 1.10 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I Think Douglas Would Approve.
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:08:58 PM
We bought our house with the street number of 42 just over two years ago. I finally got a jigsaw in June and just finished the address sign I wanted since before we moved in.
"/>

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Topic: Nationalism an Evolutionary Dead End
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 5:00:24 AM
FounDit wrote:
On the opposite extreme is the Utopian dream of unlimited cooperation with no competition.

No one I have ever heard who seriously considers the future would see one where all competition was eliminated as anything other than a dystopia. As you have noted it would be contrary to human nature. The elimination of nationalism would not cause competition to cease, nor would it even eliminate the notion of nations, only the nonsense that is propagated by slogans such as "America First", which honestly, is very close to another slogan from history, "Deutschland uber Alles."

FounDit wrote:
A world-wide Utopia without borders or nationalities, where all peoples get along cannot happen because of human nature. There simply will always be some people who want to dominate others, and there will always be people who will resist that impulse in others. It is a fantasy in the minds of those who do not like reality as it exists.

So were airplanes at one point in time. Also, I did not say there would, or even should be a world-wide polity with no nations or borders, only that we needed to stop viewing nation-states within the us/them paradigm of thought. After all, in the U.S.A. there are 50 states and yet we are all Americans, why can we not similarly all be Terrestrians?

Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 6:01:40 AM
Hope wrote:
An example of total rejection of any notion of cooperation by world countries was just promoted by a poster in another thread. Davos/World economic Forum were cited as bad. Those thinkers believe it is some kind of a world conspiracy takeover when in fact the world is already controlled by financial interests and corporations.

High Hope, It is amazing to me that people do not "look behind the curtain" and discover that there are currently a number of oligarchs and organizations that are exerting huge influence on world affairs. It is definitely in their best interest to maintain the status quo, and promote dissension effectively distracting populations from matters they would rather be left alone.

Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:36:03 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
And that is, that we do need competition for development. And therefore we will need competing nations on this planet before (if ever) we as an entire human civilization can compete with other populated worlds.

I do not think we need the artificial construct of nation-states to preserve the inherent competitive drive. I also do not think that the elimination of the current geopolitical structure would result in the complete loss of the concept of nations, nor that they would entirely lose all governmental functions. Many countries currently have internal sub governmental regions yet retain cultural distinction and even in some cases different languages without alienating them from the national identity. The same could be realized at the world level, but that would indeed be an unreasonable expectation anytime soon. I am not proposing the elimination of nation-states only the elimination of nationalism and the resultant jingoism.

Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 9:01:36 AM
March Hare wrote:
This "us vs. them" narrative is so attractive that it's difficult to do anything against it. Raising awareness of this phenomenon seems to be all we can do, but even then people have to be willing to listen - and think.

I agree, however, in looking for a shorthand form of concluding sentence I would use something like archetypal rather than "attractive". Even that though would not address the true complexity and depth of the foundations of nationalism. Nationalism is after all merely a corollary of racism which is far older.

I also agree that raising awareness of the existence of this inherent trait is necessary the question is how is that done in the face of the overwhelming effort on the part of those who benefit to convince people otherwise?

Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 4:07:14 AM
Nationalism is an artifact of our coevolutionary history no longer adaptive in a fully populated world with modern warfare abilities. It is a refuge of the immature of the species and those who fear the responsibilities of being fully human and cling to the practices of the tribal behavior of our past.

Well, that is certainly an inflammatory way to frame that notion but I am entirely fed up with this nonsense that has taken root in my own and many other countries of the world. I do not understand* how so much of the population has been brought to the point where they are being swayed by these notions despite the lessons of history. When has this type of nationalism and divisiveness ever led to a positive outcome? NEVER! Leaping leptons on a neutron star how have people become so gullible as to just get caught up in the fervor and zeal of purely emotional appeals to severely outdated concepts of human social organization?

It is unlikely that we would do away with countries anytime soon, or even if we ever would entirely. The necessity, however, of seeing ourselves as the human race and that our sense of kinship should be worldwide rather than in the ancient notions of tribal competition and rival kingdoms is obviously the adaptive path to the future.

We ignore this principle to our peril, but why do we ignore it? Who is it that promotes this divisiveness? Is it the majority of most of the populations of countries in which this malignancy exists? It most certainly does not seem to be. When honest polling is done it turns out that the majority of people wish for more cooperation and less strife in the world. So whose interests are served by the promulgation of us/them mentality? Answer that question and perhaps you'll see just how much of a false narrative it is.

*actually I'm afraid, literally, that I do understand how this has happened but as I have alluded to in other posts life without hope is despair and to live in despair is miserable, so though it is indeed selfish I choose to maintain at least some, apparently delusional, adherence to a hope that there will be a general awakening of the population.

Topic: Greenland loses 11 billion tons of ice in one day!
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:37:14 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Depending on which side you're on on this, I have a good or a bad news for you:
There is nothing humans can do about changing this planet's climate.
This will probably remain the case for at least a few centuries to come.

So you're saying that even if we managed to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 50% over say the next 10 years that this would have no effect on the climate?

Topic: Colorful Metaphors
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 2:35:06 PM
FounDit wrote:
Well, I wasn't thinking of the Aeolian Islands as much as the Greek god of wind, Aeolus,

Well that certainly makes a lot more sense.

As for the others you mentioned I only vaguely recall, that I have heard something akin to the frog strangler but, those are all very colorful metaphors.

Topic: Help with Idioms
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:19:07 AM
I came across this site today and it seemed like a good resource for understanding idioms. I know this can be one of the more confusing aspects of a language so I thought I'd post it here.
HOT Idioms
It is a bit limited but it is well referenced and many links lead to other idiom references.

Topic: Colorful Metaphors
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 6:15:47 AM
Thanks folks, I have heard most of these.
FounDit I would have missed Aeolian crepitation as well. After looking it up I get the crepitation part but am left wondering whether the people of the Aeolian islands are known for their gaseous emanations. "Head embedded in his alimentary termination point" is well said although I think it points out another subclass of the overall class as those used within a specific group of common knowledge.

Absurdicuss, yes, panties in a wad is definitely a colorful metaphor drawing on the creation of a bizarre visualization to achieve its effect.

High Hope, I've heard go pound salt but not since I was a wee laddie*. Although I thought I knew, basically, what it meant I looked it up. I was in the ballpark but had no idea of the actual origin.
Quote:
Origin: Apparently, “Go pound salt” is the less vulgar version of “go pound sand”. The origin of the expression “go pound sand” is from a longer expression, “not to know / have enough sense to pound sand down a rat hole.” Since filling rat holes with sand is menial work, telling someone to pound sand down a hole is like telling them to go fly a kite.
From HOT Idioms, an interesting site.

*The apparent spontaneous use of "wee laddie" reminds me of another way in which we use imaginative metaphors for emphasis. One of my grandma's favorite phrases to indicate something happened a long time ago was, "Not since Christ was a kid and the devil was a wee laddie!" When something occurred in the early childhood of someone that was when they were "knee-high to a grasshopper."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.