The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Epiphileon
About
User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Nature, function, utilization, and potential development of consciousness
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,077
[0.45% of all post / 1.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Le Grande K is Deposed!
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 3:32:14 AM
Thanks for the additional information. These endeavors on the part of our species always amaze me.
I am still curious however about how they compensate for the fact that any "K" the Grande or not, will weigh differently depending on where it is at in Earths non-homogeneous gravitational field.
The NASA article I linked to includes a nice image of this variance, mapped by the GRACE mission.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 8:15:42 AM
Y111 wrote:
But this fluctuation of gravity affects both sides of scales, and so is excluded from the measurement.

Of course; however, forge two identical kilograms at some location, and then take one of them too an area where there is less gravitational effect and the weight readings you get will no longer be the same.

Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:53:04 AM
Scientists at the General Conference on Weights and Measures, last Friday Kilogram gets a new definition.">voted to depose Le Grande K as the official standard of weight.
Le Grande K is a highly polished, environmentally isolated, platinum alloy cylinder.

If I understood the article properly they are saying that they will be able to obtain a level of precision of +/1 0.000001% one-millionth of a percent. I'm not sure I have this right, as far as whether that is the accuracy of the weight or the accuracy of the equation. Regardless my question is what about the fluctuations in gravity depending on your location on the planet?

If you are on the equator you weigh slightly less than at the poles due to centrifugal force, and the pull of gravity also changes as you go to different altitudes as you have changed your distance from the center of mass of the planet.

There are very small differences (on the order of 0.01% or less) in gravity due to differences in the local geology. For example, changes in the density of rock underneath you or the presence of mountains nearby can have a slight effect on the gravitational force. The last three assertions are backed up by Cornell University's Astronomy department.

Finally, according to NASA, the distribution of water on the planet also changes the effect of gravity. That is a fascinating article in itself.

So my question is, if gravity can fluctuate by as much as much as one-hundredth of a percent depending on your location, how does it matter if you can obtain a precision of one-millionth of a percent in your measurement? Or do sufficiently accurate gravity maps exist for corrections to be made?

Topic: Reality Exists and Quantum Physics Does Not Disprove That.
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 1:57:45 PM
I think it is pretty funny how the title of this post is truncated on the front page,
Reality Exists and Quantum Physics Does Not

There's a mind bender for you.

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 8:29:56 AM
Y111 wrote:
Isn't reality defined as that which exists?

Yes, broadly speaking it is, although it seems to me, we usually are not referring to all possible universes when we use the word.

Y111 wrote:
The observer is not a part of reality? Unreal?

Yes, observers exist and are part of this reality; however, the existence of reality is not dependent on them.

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 5:16:11 AM
This almost went in the science section; however, I believe it is actually a philosophical point. Some of my friends who know me as a monist and naturalist will send me things they come across that they think challenge some of the basic tenets of my position, for example this article, "Mind-blowing Experiment Confirms That Reality Doesn’t Exist If You Are Not Looking at It".

I think this is misleading and actually completely false. Reality exists independent of the observer: however, observations at the quantum level may indicate that it is affected by the observer, or may just indicate that we have no idea how to explain what we are seeing.

Topic: Can Robots Play Prank On Humans
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 4:04:26 AM
Yep,
Robot drive through.

Actually though robots currently can only do what they are programmed to do, so any prank played by a robot would really be originated by its programmer.

Topic: hypercorrect
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 6:57:22 AM
thar wrote:

Now, people recognise that the language spoken by native speakers is inherently 'correct'. English speakers say the singular they, and 'you and me' and they end sentences with prepositions. 'Correcting' these so-called 'mistakes' does not produce good, flowing and natural language. It is hypercorrection - over-correction.

LOL okay this makes sense. The fact that it does though points out one of the reasons that pure logic systems will never be able to emulate human reasoning.

Topic: hypercorrect
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 5:11:26 AM
hypercorrection (ˌhaɪpəkəˈrɛkʃən)
n
(Linguistics) a mistaken correction to text or speech made through a desire to avoid nonstandard pronunciation or grammar: 'between you and I' is a hypercorrection of 'between you and me'.

In my opinion, this is a rather bizarre word, its self an example of its own definition. It also seems like a literal oxymoron.
'between you and I', is just wrong, besides how can something be more than correct?

Topic: Is the Earth Flat?
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 11:15:28 AM

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.