The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Epiphileon
About
User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Nature, function, utilization, and potential development of consciousness
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,003
[0.45% of all post / 1.18 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Spacex, Taking Innovation to a Whole New Level
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:51:18 PM
The reusable rocket booster was an amazing accomplishment. Here is a video of the first successful land recovery, when you consider where this rocket was when it began its descent, the successful recovery let alone the pinpoint accuracy, is nothing short of slack jaw amazing.

Now they are taking the second step to recover even more of the rocket for reuse. The clam shell covering, known as a fairing that protects the payload that is ejected just prior to orbit, will be recovered, the animation,(<--link), of what they come up with made me laugh, but you gotta give it to them, it is actually brilliant. Rough seas may make it more difficult though.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Topic: Do you know(13)?
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:20:29 AM
Thanks Thar that was very informative. I was unaware that the Earth was thought to be so young, so recently, within science that is.

Topic: Happy birthday
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:13:09 AM
Joyous Orbital Anniversary! (Geek Speak)

Topic: existential
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:00:04 PM
Certain junk food additives have been shown to be hallucinogenics in horses. In North Carolina a recent uptick in people feeding such things to horses has led to the horses abandoning their normal tasks, and contemplating the place of the horse in the universe.
Dancing Dancing Dancing

Topic: When will Jesus come back ?
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 3:42:50 AM

Topic: What Are the Most Counter-intuitive Facts?
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 7:17:40 AM
Thanks Bob I didn't know that. It made me think, obviously something that weighed that much could not possibly float in the atmosphere. I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a cloud, in the same way there is no such thing as a forest. A cloud is an enormous number of water molecules in very close proximity, as a forest is just a great many trees in close proximity.

M'lady is not looking at me like I'm from outer-space!

Topic: What Are the Most Counter-intuitive Facts?
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 3:50:15 AM
Aphelion is coming at 67,000mph and will be here Friday July 6, @ 12:46 pm!

When I posted this today on my Facebook page, I commented afterwards, "Still ranks in my top 5 counter-intuitive facts of all time.
Which is a guess as I don't know what the other 4 are offhand."

We are in the middle of a heatwave, 5-7 days of temperatures above 90 degrees, but on Friday the Earth will be at the furthest away from the sun it gets in its orbit. Of course this is only counter-intuitive for the folks in the Northern Hemisphere.

What are the most counter-intuitive things you know?

Topic: Do We See Reality as it Is?
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:00:51 AM
Back in my days at the university apart from logic, it seemed to me that most modern philosophy was mostly intellectual tail swallowing. I still think a lot of it falls in this category; however, I have come to greatly appreciate philosophers like Daniel Dennett, his is a practical philosophy, directly addressing problems like consciousness and freewill, performing detailed dissections of the issues, and what questions need to be answered in order to have an answer that comes closer to an accurate understanding of the issues.

I also think there are some philosophical exercises that everyone needs to perform. How do I know that I know what I know? I fell like everyone should either read Descartes treatment of this issue, or somehow follow the same basic steps that led him to doubt everything he thought he knew, and learn how to qualify what is reliable knowledge.

I even think that question like is the universe a simulation are useful to some. I have explored the question for the pure fascination of such a conjecture but, I see no practical reason to spend a great deal of time on it. In my opinion it can not possibly matter.

Is reality reasonable, and practically, as it appears to be to us? Yes, this question I feel has been adequately answered, pursuing it results in intellectual tail swallowing.

Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 2:14:56 PM
Yeah Drago, I always come away a bit baffled by people holding such opinions, although he was not quite that extreme, he was well on that side of the spectrum.

Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 7:23:22 AM
Hi Hope, I was a bit surprised the man was given the stage to propagate his notion. I just do not see any credibility at all, it seems like just another leap into esoterica in order to avoid the so called hard problem of consciousness. A problem that I am not convinced exists to begin with.

Just because something could be wrong doesn't mean it is wrong. I also am dubious of reversing mathematical evolutionary models the way he did.

The discussion I was involved in actually began as a freewill discussion, which of course then led to a mention of the physical characteristics of the brain. The other person then said this,
"...and how do I know that the physical brain is not just a perceptual illusion? The only thing I can know exists is my own experience. And when I say that, I'm not referring to the content of my experience, but the experience itself; all experiences are inherently unrealistic (see a cool explanation by Donald Hoffman..."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.