The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Epiphileon
About
User Name: Epiphileon
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Nature, function, utilization, and potential development of consciousness
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,156
[0.44% of all post / 1.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Will this embarrassment ever end
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 4:49:37 AM
The updated and accurate statue in New York harbor.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Topic: One of my favorite words is lox
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2019 3:29:38 AM
Thanks Leon that is pretty remarkable.

Topic: SpaceX’s Starlink Satellites May Disrupt Terrestrial Astronomy
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 3:55:46 AM
Well this is a conundrum, the practicality of these satellites is obvious; however, ground-based astronomy is critical to the detection of near-Earth objects that can pose a threat to life. Hopefully, there is a way to work this out.
Space News Article

Topic: Modern Hearing Aids
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 5:44:24 AM
Modern hearing aids should come with a warning that if a mosquito lands on the unit that you are not being attacked by a pterodactyl.

Topic: Modern Ancient Music?
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 4:28:11 AM
thar wrote:
A bit of modern-ancient homage in the Norwegian Eurovision entry!

Spirit in the sky

I got a "Video not available in your country" message.

Topic: The "Russian Hoax"
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 4:54:31 AM
FounDit wrote:
Since Presidents meet with world leaders all the time, is it the meetings, or is it just Putin who triggers this "treasonous" idea? What about China or N. Korea? Are meetings with Xi or Kim treasonous also? It seems truly strange to me to see this reaction. This causes me to believe that it is the Democrats who have sacrificed reason and objectivity to illogical emotional reactions.
Well in his other meetings he does not deny the findings of his own intelligence services in favor of the claims of world leader whose country has committed hostile acts towards the U.S. To reiterate what I said was,
"...there are two glaring examples of what I consider treason in spirit. One, after being presented with evidence from every relevant U.S. authority on the issue of Russian interference in the last election, when President Putin told him personally that he had nothing to do with it Mr. Trump stated he believed him. Then despite the exhaustive evidence in the Muller Report
Quote:
Mr. Trump said he did not broach the threat of Russian interference in future elections with Mr. Putin.
If you do not see this as treasonous in spirit then it is at the least a failure to properly carry out the duties of the office of President of the United States.
[b]Two things I would point out: One, the Mueller Report had nothing to do with whether or not Russia tried to interfere in our elections.
The actual title of the report, "Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election "
It was an attempt to find a crime with which to charge the President under the guise of "collusion". No such crime was committed or found by Mueller.
Further Mr. Mueller immediately dismisses the notion of collusion as a legally undefined term and rather investigated whether there was a conspiracy which does have a legal definition. The idea that no investigation was warranted is incredibly biased. Given the evidence of active espionage on the part of the Russian GRU an investigation was absolutely called for.

Furthermore, how does it become treason to not confront Putin and how do you know he didn't do so privately? And when did it become the duty of the President to challenge any world leader publicly? Where is that in the job description?
When that world leaders country has attacked the U.S. in any manner. Then it is his sworn duty to respond appropriately. If you do not think that Russia's interference in our elections is not a hostile act I do not know how to respond to that.

Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 3:12:46 AM
FounDit wrote:

My first point would be concerning your description of "propaganda" regarding refugees. It isn't propaganda to say people are flooding across our border illegally.
Yes it is, the vast majority of asylum seekers are using a legal method to request asylum.

The fact that there is violence, death, and subjugation in their countries does not give anyone an excuse to enter our illegally. Again the vast majority are not.There is a process that should be followed, but is being abused because our legislators have abandoned the welfare of our own citizens. Beyond that, we simply can't take in the everyone in the world who might want to come here simply because their country has problems, and it isn't our obligation to do so. It isn't the obligation of any country to do so. Most do what they can, but there must be some limits.
Yes of course there must be limits; however, many of these people are legitimately afraid for their lives or the lives of their children, and as human beings we most certainly do have a responsibility to aid those in such distress. (That is if we do actually aspire to the ideal of being human rather than just a bunch of modified territorial naked apes.)

Imagine if we took $5,000,000,000 and dedicated it to an integrated infrastructure building and refugee integration program how much could be done for our country while giving people a chance for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. There is no way it is beyond the capability of the U.S. to deal with legitimate refugees. We could do it if we wanted to, and whats more I believe that the majority of Americans would want to if they saw the real faces of the crisis and didn't just hear the spun out and vitriolic hyperbole surrounding the issue.

The writing on the base of the Statue of Liberty is a poem, not an open door invitation to flood the country with illegal entry. It wasn't done that way at Ellis Island, and should not be done that way today.

The only way to cross the Atlantic at the time Ellis Island was in operation was by boat if people could have walked across they certainly would have. I'm glad you brought up Ellis Island though because it led me to do some research on the issue. What I discovered was that if our nation had the same attitudes and policies that are now in effect then, we would most likely never have become the nation we once were. Here are a few examples of what I found.
[quote=History.com]More than 12 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island between 1892 and 1954—with a whopping 1,004,756 entering the United States in 1907 alone. And yet, even during these days of peak immigration, for most passengers hoping to establish new lives in the United States, the process of entering the country was over and done relatively quickly—in a matter of a few hours.

Remember the vast majority of these people were only seeking a better life, not fleeing for their lives.

What is happening at the border is not a national security crisis it is a humanitarian crisis and it is a moral outrage that we are not better dealing with the problem.

Posted: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 4:20:41 AM
FounDit wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
That being said however, I do think he is the most destructive president ever to the principles of this country, and it is stunning to me that people do not see that he is running the biggest con in American history. That's an interesting idea. Since you didn't give a list of those, I'm having some difficulty knowing what principles are being destroyed: Freedom? Liberty? Justice? Representative government? Actually trying to accomplish what he promised the citizens he would do? I must admit I don't see that.

Well I wasn't looking to get into a debate on these issues, but you're right I should have probably given at least some examples. Probably the most obvious example right now is the propaganda he is promoting regarding refugees. My grandparents came to this country fleeing nothing more than impoverished conditions in their home countries and the opportunity for a better life. There are people at the southern border who are fleeing violence, death, and subjugation that are being demonized by this man and he is taking every step he can to refuse them the chance for mere survival let alone a better life. I consider the inscription on the base of the Statue of Liberty to be one of the principles of this country.
FounDit wrote:
Epiphileon wrote:
It is my opinion that his interactions with the Russian president are treasonous, if not in fact then in spirit and that his ardent supporters who cannot see this have sacrificed objectivity to emotional reasoning. I'm not sure what kind of interactions you find treasonous, since you didn't list any of those either; or is it the fact that he interacts at all that is treasonous? I'm curious because Democrats seem to continually make this claim, but never give any details on exactly what they find treasonous and why they are the only ones who see it.

Since Presidents meet with world leaders all the time, is it the meetings, or is it just Putin who triggers this "treasonous" idea? What about China or N. Korea? Are meetings with Xi or Kim treasonous also? It seems truly strange to me to see this reaction. This causes me to believe that it is the Democrats who have sacrificed reason and objectivity to illogical emotional reactions.

First let me clear something up, I am not a democrat so my evaluation of our President's behavior is not a partisan one. I am looking at his behavior and evaluate it as objectively as possible. I do not buy into any of the pundits' opinions without an evaluation of the facts and it is those facts that lead me to my conclusions concerning President Trump. Outside of a number of what seem like very reasonable suspicions of his interactions with Russia there are two glaring examples of what I consider treason in spirit. One, after being presented with evidence from every relevant U.S. authority on the issue of Russian interference in the last election, when President Putin told him personally that he had nothing to do with it Mr. Trump stated he believed him. Then despite the exhaustive evidence in the Muller Report
Quote:
Mr. Trump said he did not broach the threat of Russian interference in future elections with Mr. Putin.
If you do not see this as treasonous in spirit then it is at the least a failure to properly carry out the duties of the office of President of the United States.

The second example of what I consider treason in spirit is that despite the facts of the first example he engages with the Russian president as if he was a trustable ally,
Quote:
the two leaders pledged to embark on a new era of cooperation on issues from North Korea to Venezuela, where Mr. Trump said the Russian leader "is not looking at all to get involved, other than he’d like to see something positive happen.
This is as well contrary to the intel on the situation of his own administration on the state of affairs in Venezuela. There are not a lot of ways to interpret his willingness to "embark on a new era of cooperation", with a Soviet-style Russian. It is either hopelessly naive, practically criminally incompetent, or is an indication of the pursuit of a personal agenda for which he is using the office of the President as a means to an end. I see no possible legitimate argument for the trustworthiness of the Russian President which it seems only leaves the above options to characterize our President's behavior.

Please keep in mind that when Mr. Trump was elected as our President I initially gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I continue to evaluate his behavior as objectively as I can. The above are only two examples of many that lead me to the conclusion that he is the most dangerous President we have ever had, there are numerous others but I do not care to dwell on this topic. Occasionally his behavior crosses a threshold level which elicits a comment from me such as the phone call referenced in this topic but I have come to view this sub-forum as toxic and destructive to the type of reasonable discussions that once were far more common on this forum so I limit both my exposure and participation here.

Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2019 4:14:53 AM
I'm pretty certain that the vitriol and hyper-derogatory hyperbole directed at our President is at best useless, and at worst counterproductive as it just fortifies his supporters. That being said however, I do think he is the most destructive president ever to the principles of this country, and it is stunning to me that people do not see that he is running the biggest con in American history. It is my opinion that his interactions with the Russian president are treasonous, if not in fact then in spirit and that his ardent supporters who cannot see this have sacrificed objectivity to emotional reasoning.

Topic: New: Hubble Legacy Field
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 6:01:18 AM
Not the few thousand galaxies of the 1995 "Hubble Deep Field" image, nor the 10,000 galaxies of the 2004 "Hubble Ultra Deep Field", the new "Hubble Legacy Field" image released on May 2nd, reveals 265,000 Galaxies as old as 500,000 years after the Big Bang, and if I read the article right this image is from only a patch of the original field which if I recall was from a portion of the sky roughly the size of the full moon.

This is a link to a site that will allow you to pan and zoom into a copy of the image. Hubble Legacy Field at Gigapan

This link has a good explanation as well as more photos.

This is an every synapse open mind-blower.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.