User Name: mustabir
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 47
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: If all the world hated you and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved of you and absolved you from guilt,...
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:51:08 PM
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Ben Franklin tells a story about a man, his son and a horse who are walking down the street. The father is on the horse and the son is walking. A stranger says that's silly - the son should be on the horse too. So the son gets atop the horse too when another stranger says that's not good - the horse isn't strong and should only carry the lightest load. SO the father gets off and another stranger says that's silly too - the father should be on the horse. So, having tried that combination, the father and son both get off the horse when a stranger says - that's silly - one of you should be on the horse.

Franklin concludes, from the story, that whatever you do somebody is going to criticize you - so you might as well do what you think is right.

This is an old story referred to Nasreddin Hodja - maybe one of the most well-known ones. In the original, Nasreddin Hodja, son and donkey (his famous donkey!) are the main figures of story. It implies that, whatever you do, there will always be somebody there not to approve of how you act. After all, in connection with the quote, one should know he/she is the one who can choose the rightest step for him/herself.
Topic: One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you...
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:52:27 AM
mustabir wrote:
No matter which way you go unless you don't have an aim!

...unless you have an aim it should continue...
Topic: One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you...
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 5:46:12 AM
No matter which way you go unless you don't have an aim!
Topic: A human being is only breath and shadow.
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2009 4:39:39 AM
I should necessarily agree with him. This is one of the best descriptions I've ever come across about the truth of human being.
Topic: one does not love breathing.
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:59:29 PM
prolixitysquared wrote:

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

The people really do not appreciate and consider the value of any "natural" abilities unless they have an unfortunate incident hindering them from having these.

But I rather wonder which idea has actually led the author to have a fear of losing the faculty of "reading".
Topic: A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:41:47 PM
I think I would stand at the contrary side while I would prefer to go with the below quote by Plato.

What is really important is not that posessing the most but rather being satisfied with the least.
Topic: I don't like work...but I like what is in work—the chance to find yourself.
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 6:13:36 PM
I think another point is that one could easily discover the positive and negative sides of himself as well as the others' during a working day. After a short observation, you could be aware and get to see how someone would act in particular instances.

Working life seems to be a "revealing" platform of people's characters at this point.
Topic: There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up.
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 5:38:23 PM
MichalG wrote:
Which direction is the more positive?

I think the one standing in the positive side here is pretty clear (unless you do imply anything else that I have no idea right now), but I am also convinced of the fact that pulling up would always require more effort and energy than pushing down.
Topic: If thou hast never been a fool, be sure thou wilt never be a wise man.
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 5:16:15 PM
First, it is interesting for me to come across those old-fashioned forms of "you" and "have" stated in the quote. I should say that a foreign learner of English can not often encounter this kind of old words in the vocabulary-teaching books or in other English sources during its learning process!

This quote has anyhow reminded me of the below quote which is sometimes referred to Henry Ford but I could not exactly find out the English version of it so that I am not so sure of this point. It is briefly something like as follows...

Someone who has not really made any mistakes in the life is also the one who has not yet done anything.

I'd be glad, though, to hear the original version in case anybody else knows it already.
Topic: Let's play a game!
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 5:03:29 PM
bream -> cream

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.