Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,503
[0.18% of all post / 0.49 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Anesthesia More Like Coma than Sleep
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 1:00:18 PM
I guess I've always wrongly assumed that being asleep and being in a coma were very similar. Very interesting study.
Topic: Scotland Yard
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:54:22 PM
The term always reminds me of the Sherlock Holmes series, in which the police force doesn't always have an entirely positive image.
Topic: Sir Isaac Newton (1643)
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:43:41 PM
anatolian wrote:
Drew wrote:
So this is the guy whom high school seniors have to blame for ruining their "senior slide" mellow with all that calculus nonsense.

Actually I prefer to be grateful to him for most of the technological achievements of mankind ,which have boosted our ability to survive, and for the foundation of theoretical physics in the modern sense, both of which are due to his "calculus nonsense".

I was being facetious, of course.
Topic: Man versus Machine on Jeopardy!
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 12:30:30 PM
I saw some video of a practice round between the two human contestants and "Watson," the computer. It looks like this is going to be very much an uphill battle for both Jennings and Rutter because they were both thoroughly dominated in the footage that I've seen. It would be nice if the event was at least competitive when it comes time for the real thing.
Topic: Boris Godunov Becomes Czar of Russia (1598)
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:41:26 PM
Boris was Godunov for me.
Topic: Innocent III Is Pope (1198)
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:34:20 PM
HWNN1961 wrote:
Innocent being a rather ironic Papal name given his legacy.

My thoughts exactly. The pontiff doth protest too much, methinks.
Topic: Martyrs' Day: Riots over Sovereignty of Panama Canal Zone (1964)
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:28:52 PM
An ugly incident, for sure
Topic: Richard Halliburton (1900)
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 12:14:48 PM
Angus wrote:
In my youth, following the advice of a teacher, I read two of Halliburton's books. I enjoyed them. Some time later, however, I ran across books with chapters debunking several of Halliburton's exploits as outrageous fabrication. In particular, I recall comments about his moonlight swim in the reflecting pool of the Taj Mahal, the problem being that this pool, like other large reflecting pools, is necessarily only a few inches deep to minimize ripples and image distortion. Made a good story, though. Sold a lot of books.

I often find that the best storytellers are not necessarily 100% honest in recounting the facts. Halliburton is probably no exception, but he was wonderful at what he did.
Topic: Journaling
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:30:34 PM
Interesting that the mundane, day-to-day activities of someone who is not particularly "important" during his or her own lifetime could be so highly valued in the eyes of future historians.
Topic: Japanese Spider Crab
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:28:18 PM
HWNN1961 wrote:
If it promises to stay at the bottom of the ocean and promises never to invade my personal space, I make the same promise in return.

I second that. Truthfully, I'm creeped-out by your average, everyday crab. This particular creature is one of the scariest I've ever seen. It will likely haunt my dreams tonight.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.