Interests: Communication
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 67
[0.01% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Do we own nature?
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:51:34 PM
Nature is what it is, but people ultimately define that which they do not understand. That doesn't mean they own it. It just means that it apparently has no name or purpose until someone comes up with his or her own description(s).

We are the music makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Topic: It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that...
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 2:28:54 AM
Hell yes, James Madison, why isn't there a good beer named after you!?
Topic: Does true love exist in this World?
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:58:48 AM
Epiphileon wrote:
Do you really think a swan or a burrowing animal has the ability to experience anything like what humans call love?

Do you really have any evidence to suggest that it doesn't?
Unless, of course, you consider yourself to be one of the two...

Before you get defensive simply for the sake of argument, think about what you're saying next time. No one is attacking you for not believing in something that you either haven't experienced or have simply chosen to ignore. After all, someone must have loved you or one of your parents, or you wouldn't be here arguing against the existence of something you see every day...

Or is it more serious... loved and lost, was it? I won't go there. Shhh
Topic: Black and white
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:25:37 PM
fred wrote:
Lincoln seemed to be making a level playing field. Did Lincoln's cadre later enslave? The South was placed in a form of enslavement which showed all a level playing field was probably not the primary goal.

Indeed, Lincoln only wanted things to be fair.
At the time, slaves were not treated with equal human rights.
He obviously saw it as a contradiction to America's purpose;
knowing that America started as an idea that people can be free.

Later on, Martin Luther King Jr. was killed for the same purpose.
Only at that time, the slavery was strictly racist and not laborious.
He was shot for supporting Lincoln's belief, "All men are created equal".

What are you referring to when you say the South was later enslaved?
They had their own little culture going on, but they were still Americans.
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:39:07 PM
fred wrote:
Yes, some people are enslaved or restricted for what they think. This is because other people (enslavers/restrictors) think they have authority to do so. The later is a case of BLACK OR WHITE. It always ends up very nasty for the enslavers. They end up on their own Black/White chopping block.

I have to admit, I still find that difficult to understand.
Unless you're referring to religious "philosophers"...
These people were a little pushy in their personal beliefs.
So, if that's what you meant, then I get the slavery part.

In the case of Lincoln, though...
I think he just saw people mistreating people.
If the one shooting him had ever been a slave,
I think he'd have also been a sympathizer...

I believe that everyone has their reasons for their behavior.
If someone ends up on their own "chopping block", it's only
because the ones doing the chopping didn't understand...

So that brings me back to my original question --
Why do words give people a motive to kill?
You're only enslaved if you play by the rules...
(assuming that there are "rules" to begin with)
The choice is always up to the individual.

Were people like Lincoln breaking the rules?
Or are you saying that people can't think for themselves?
Perhaps the "butchers" are the enslavers/restrictors...
One can only wonder what goes on in the mind of such a person.
Perhaps they are prisoners in their own minds...
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:24:39 PM
Cathie8653 wrote:
cleopatra clover wrote:

"Everything is not always black and white".
- I read this from a post recently (not sure who posted it), but don't really understand its meaning. Can anyone help to explain?

It means that nothing is always clear cut - there can always be variations of understanding between two points of view.

Black and white are used because they are total opposites - the speaker means that 'whatever' is being discussed may not always only have a right or wrong answer, but that there may be a solution which can be found some way along that continuum.

Exactly. It's good to know I'm not alone in my perspective on things.

fred wrote:
Should Lincoln have been killed or not?

Lincoln saw the world for what it is. He believed that people were living in a manner that isn't natural. The United States being founded with the idea of Freedom, yet simultaneously (during his time in history) we have slavery? Lincoln only saw people as human beings. One could just as easily ask the question: which do you prefer, day or night? Dogs or cats? Love or hate?

The world itself is not rigid in nature; it has accepted all of these things within it. So why are people so rigid?

To answer your question, No, I still don't see any purpose for Lincoln's murder.
Nor do I understand why anyone has been shot for speaking out against injustice.
It's a unique, recurring trend in American history that free-thinkers are killed.
Does anyone have an explanation as to why? I'd love to know the answer...

Orual42 wrote:
A complementary saying to "Not everything is black and white," is "Sometimes there are shades of gray."

For example, a group or individual may assert what it feels to be an absolute moral claim (i.e., "abortion is always wrong"), assuming in this that a thing can only be good or bad, not something in-between.

Exactly. Time and time again, history has shown us that people are not just bad or good. Sometimes good people do bad things, and sometimes bad people do good things. All I see, are people doing things; and sometimes they do very stupid things. What worries me, is that perhaps people can't see themselves... Perhaps they don't know the difference between right and wrong. Perhaps they've read some books that gave them the wrong impression. Or perhaps they haven't been treated right and they want revenge.

The only problems I see are self-serving problems. Someone gets mad because they didn't get what they wanted, so they go and shoot someone who took that from them. They were afraid, and by removing what they believe to be the source of their fear, they somehow feel better. Well, I'd like to ask these people if they really do feel better after killing someone when they have to spend life in prison later. I'm curious if they're sitting there thinking, "Man, I feel so awesome now that he's dead... the world is such a better place. Someone else might come along in a few years with the same ideas, but man, I'm just happy he's gone!"

If people think about their feelings before they act upon them, they can save themselves and their victims... if you hate someone's ideas -- isn't that what speech is for? Why does violence always have to do the talking in America? I don't understand that one.

early_apex wrote:
Yesterday I was reading the newspaper at the table while I was eating a bratwurst in a bun. Some dijon mustard spilled out onto the paper, so it was longer only black and white, but yellowish brown in some places as well.

Yellow can have any amount of black or white mixed into it so that it appears more or less neutral. This is true for every color. In the computer world, the color value of true yellow is almost similar to white; containing only a little less red than green, and no blue. Also (in the computer world), black contains no color, and white contains the absolute values of red, green, and blue. In the printing world, it's reversed. True black contains all the colors, and white is considered the absence of color. So, I've just given you one example of how color, itself, can have the same or different meanings depending on its purpose.

What ultimately gives everything in the universe a purpose? People!

So, I was only trying to express that the gray area is neutral; black and white are opposites.
Topic: Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:34:08 PM
TB wrote: