User Name: marybroadbent
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 69
[0.01% of all post / 0.85 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Dame Julia Elizabeth Andrews (1935)
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:45:23 AM
Daemon wrote:
Dame Julia Elizabeth Andrews (1935)

Andrews is a British actress and singer best known for her roles in films such as The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, for which she won an Academy Award. However, she was first a Broadway musical star. She made her London debut at age 12 in a revue and her New York City stage debut seven years later. She went on to originate the roles of Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady and Guinevere in Camelot. She also made several films with her director husband. Who was he? More...
Topic: caravansary
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:41:08 AM
Daemon wrote:
caravansary

(noun) An inn in some eastern countries with a large courtyard that provides accommodation for caravans.

Synonyms: khan

Usage: A steady stream of travelers both arriving and leaving kept the caravansary bustling well into the night.
Topic: Hans Geiger (1882)
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 3:43:43 AM
Daemon wrote:
Hans Geiger (1882)

After receiving a doctorate in physics in Germany in 1906, Geiger traveled to England, where he assisted chemist Ernest Rutherford. In 1908, they designed an instrument to detect and count alpha particles, positively charged ionizing particles produced by radioactive decay. Two decades later, Geiger developed the sensitive, portable radiation counter that now bears his name. During World War II, he was a member of the Uranium Club, a group of German scientists who attempted to develop what? More...
Topic: Spider moms spotted nursing their offspring with milk
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:59:30 AM
Daemon wrote:
Spider moms spotted nursing their offspring with milk

On a summer night in 2017, Chen Zhanqi made a curious find in his lab in China's Yunnan province. In an artificial nest, he spotted a juvenile jumping spider attached to its mother in a way that reminded him of a baby mammal sucking its mother's teats. On ... More...
Topic: Police: 'Rabid' raccoons turn out to be drunk on fermented crabapples
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:58:01 AM
Daemon wrote:
Police: 'Rabid' raccoons turn out to be drunk on fermented crabapples

Police in West Virginia have apprehended a masked bandit that was causing concern among residents. The Milton Police Department wrote on Facebook that they had been receiving calls about "suspected rabid raccoons." "Turns out they appear to be drunk ... More...
Topic: 130000 year-old Woolly Mammoth bones discovered in England
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:56:06 AM
Daemon wrote:
130000 year-old Woolly Mammoth bones discovered in England

Road workers expanding the A14 highway in England have uncovered woolly mammoth bones believed to be 130,000 years ago, with some calling it a "remarkable find." The bones were found between Cambridge and Huntingdon, Cambs, by Highway England workers, according ... More...
Topic: Gravitational waves: Monster black hole merger detected
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:54:24 AM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
BTW, Bob Lazar spoke of gravitational waves and element 115 (Ununpentium) back in 1990s. His words have proved to be true since then.
Topic: red-blooded
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:50:28 AM
Daemon wrote:
red-blooded

(adjective) Endowed with or exhibiting great bodily or mental health.

Synonyms: full-blooded, lusty, hearty

Usage: George was admired as a true red-blooded athlete who always performed with vigor and aplomb.
Topic: my corrected version
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:45:14 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
(1) The day when I was born was Monday. [NOT ... was a Monday ...]
[Written by a Japanese teacher of English]

(2) The day when I was born was a Monday.

(3) I was born on a Monday.

Question: Are the following sentences correct?

(4) Sentence #2 is my corrected version of sentence #1.

(5) Sentence #3 is a normal way of phrasing the idea expressed by sentence #2.
Topic: Justin Trudeau, Boris Johnson, and Donald Trump and their problems....
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2019 3:43:03 AM
mactoria wrote:
So America's got Trump and his impeachment process et al.

The UK has Boris and his Brexit backfire and possible economic chaos and possible secession of Scotland after October 31st, his unconstitutional suspension of Parliament, members fleeing his sinking political boat/coalition.

Now Canada has Trudeau's brownface/blackface controversy, including multiple pictures and changing explanations, right in the middle of the PM's campaign.

First, wondering what Canadian members are thinking and hearing, how they currently see Trudeau's controversy affecting both the Prime Minister's election as well as the country's internal racial situation? I'm not equating Trudeau's brownface/blackface whatever-it-is (tone-deafness, immaturity well past the age of knowing better, a real blind spot when it comes to race, or whatever?) with the political/legal/ethical/moral mess that America has with Trump...but Trudeau had been a bright spot of decency in action and now he feels pretty sullied to this American. Am I overreacting or do Canadians and others feel similarly? Also, how did these photos not show up in his first campaign and how did he not vaccinate himself against them embarrassing him?

All of which has me wondering what others think about so many of our western democracies/republics all having such divisive scandals and politics at the same time? Is the pendulum of liberal democracy swinging, is this just a coincidental set of blips, or has the pendulum already swung?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.