Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Immigration
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:35:45 AM
Buzzito wrote:
Last year I became too busy to keep up with all the fine people of our northern neighbors in Canada. I did however, look up some data, discussion of immigration. Here is part of an article in The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/07/canada-immigration-success/564944/

<<As for illegal and irregular immigration, Canadian governments from both ends of the political spectrum have worked—quietly—to ensure there is as little of it as possible. The unspoken underpinning of Canada’s otherwise welcoming immigration policy is a giant and assiduously maintained border wall.

Wait, what? Yes, Canada has a border wall—in a sense. In fact, it has five of them. Four are geographic, the fifth is bureaucratic. All have been extremely effective in sustaining the legitimacy and popularity of Canada’s immigration policy.>>

Canada has not been so inactive as the US news media would have me believe, but the issue of immigration and the differences are apparently stark between our great countries. One distinction I believe, is the greater difference of illegal immigration that the USA deals with. It is a difference which incurs more crime, drugs, etc etc. It appears to me, that Canada like the US, prefer legal immigration. However, the rate of illegal immigration to the US appears to be greater than to Canada.

As an aside, I see that some have begun to share their insights that when Trump got elected (not comically tRump as one who is apparently has issues, uses on this site), their hatred had more to do with them than did the man Trump himself. Watch, there will be more revelations of this type, by those, who took a look into themselves, not those who immaturely inject a needless hatred into political dialogue.

An unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates(?) The first place to start is with ourselves. Take a look at that hatred. It has more to do with yourself than it does with our President Trump.

Topic: Just Cat Things
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 2:20:34 AM
Schlook Inside wrote:
Topic: The orphaned girl who lived at her step-mother's
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:09:46 AM
nightdream wrote:
Please, enjoy reading. I will be glad to read your comments. I might miss some things that will srike an eye.

Once upon a time there lived an old man and an old woman with two daughters by previous and next marriages of the old man. They had three cows. A daughter by a previous marriage of the old man tended cows. She was not fed. When she was hungry and suffered, she cried, calling her dead mother. A mottled cow was sorry for her and fed her on cakes and sweet things which she used to defecate. The girl who did not have meals and tended the cows became more beautiful, it became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. “Why have you been becoming more and more beautiful, who has been feeding you?” – Her step-mother said. She beat the girl almost to death. The girl could not help telling: “I have been feeding on excrement of the mottled cow”, - She said. So the next day she sent her daughter to graze their three cows from that time on. The mottled cow did not feed the old woman’s daughter. As the mottled cow did not excrete cakes, the old woman decided to slaughter the mottled cow. The step-daughter told her mottled cow: “They are going to slaughter you” – and she cried. Then her mottled cow said: “Do not sorrow for me after slaughtering me, after I have been slaughtered, take my large intestine with my excrement in it and throw it onto the hill”, - she said. After the mottled cow had been slaughtered, the girl was allowed to graze the remaining two cows again. Cakes and sweet things grew as thick as pearls and corals in the large intestine thrown onto the hill. The girl ate them and became more beautiful. It became possible to tend a horse herd and do needlework by the light of her beauty. And while she was out tending their two cows, she met the khan’s son who was out hunting. Seeing her, the son of the khan forgot about the beast that he was hunting and gazed at her, admiring. He became almost skew-eyed.
- Who are your parents? I will seek your hand in marriage *, tell me where you live – He said. He was said a place she lived in and went to the old man and the old woman.
- I will propose * your daughter, - He told and left. When the girl came home, the old woman said: “The khan’s son has proposed you”, and seated her own daughter under a white silky curtain * and said: “Why has he proposed this girl who tends cattle, why has he not proposed my daughter who stays home? – She became angry with her step-daughter, she brought her to the Lake Shikirlu *. She pushed her into the Lake Shikirlu and killed her by drowning. When the khan’s family came in a wedding carriage, the old woman gave her daughter to them instead of the girl that he had proposed. The girl given to the khan’s son had a fly-sized botfly larva in her right cheek and a suslik *-sized botfly larva in her left cheek. As the khan’s son did not enable to withdraw, he had no way out and had to bring her home. He got married to her, and while they were living not badly, the Lake Shikirlu dried up. After the lake had dried up, it was unbearable heat there and the subjects of the khan moved to another place. An orphaned white camel calf went out of the Lake Shikirlu and followed them, bellowing. When the khan’s family found a place to stop, * the wife of the khan’s son was seized with a grave illness. Healers held a great conference and conferred about what would cure the wife of the khan’s son, and when she was asked what would cure her, she told:
- I will recover if I drink a broth made of the orphaned white camel calf following us ever since we moved from the shore of the Lake Shikirlu. When herdsmen rode their horses to drive the camel calf in and slaughter him, she told: “Let him in and slaughter him without spilling a drop of blood and make a broth quickly”. Even though they tried to follow exactly the order of the wife of the khan’s son, but a drop of the blood was spilled on the right lower part of the kibitka * and the next day an orphaned poplar grew of the spilled blood. They were frightened by the tree and moved again. No sages were there who could know why the poplar had grown. Then the wife of the khan’s son told: “Sages, I know the thing that you do not know: the poplar has been sent by the heavens to be a cradle for the boy that I bear”. They looked for a man to make a cradle and found an old cow keeper. And while he was felling the poplar without chopping off a chip and making a cradle, a nit-sized chip was chopped off the tree and fell into the old man’s bosom *. The old man made a cradle and came home, and while he was taking off his coat by a fire * in the evening, a beautiful silver-incrusted pipe with a golden chain and a cigarette holder one and a half sazhens * long fell out of his bosom. The old man picked up the pipe and thought that he had taken by accident the pipe of the wife of khan’s son, he prayed and bowed three times *, put it onto a chest and fell asleep. He got up in the morning and looked in the direction of the pipe but found a girl of thirteen sitting in front of the chest. The old man stood up: “Girl, where are you from, whose daughter are you?”- As the old man asked, the girl answered: “I have come to be a daughter for childless people and be a relative to people who have no relatives”. The old man with the old woman seated her on their right lap and kissed her right cheek *, taking her away from one another and adopted her. The cow keeper acquired a daughter, and he was living not badly when the wife of the khan’s son sent messengers to call two hundred girls together to make a black sable fur coat for her husband. Two messengers called girls together and one of them said: “Let’s go to the old cow keeper”, but the second said: “No, the cow keeper has no daughter”, but the first went to him. There was a beautiful little girl at the cow keeper’s and he said: “Missis, let your daughter go to the khan, she will make a black sable fur coat for him”. The old woman considered the girl to be a little one and let her unwillingly. Two hundred girls got together and sat close to one another at the khan’s. The wife of the khan’s son cut out a black sable fur coat and gave the pieces to the girls. It happened that the old cow keeper’s daughter got a sleeve. The girl did not sew on the given sleeve and whiled away the time. When the black sable fur coat was made, it turned out that a sleeve was not sewed on.
- What a mean girl, the sleeve has not been sewed on, you have wasted the time, pass me the sleeve, - the wife of the khan’s son swore at her. The girl flung it to her and the sleeve attached itself to the fur coat. The girls finished making the fur coat and were invited to the feast. At the end of the feast the khan’s son stood up and asked: “Would anybody like to tell a fairytale?” Two hundred girls kept silent and the cow keeper’s daughter told: “I know the story told to me by my father”, - she stood up and began to tell. She told her story from the time she had tended three cows till the time she had been drowned in the Lake Shikirlu and told of the way she had reached the khan’s son. The khan’s son listened to the story, killed his wife by having destroyed her completely, got married to the old man’s daughter that he had proposed first and lived in great happiness.

To seek someone’s hand in marriage, to propose someone * - the custom: if a man wished to marry a woman, his parents must go to parents of the woman, and his father talked to her father over the matter and a woman might be got married by the will of her parents despite her own will.
A suslik * - a name of the animal, which inhabits the steppe, it is a size of a marmot and looks like it.
Shikirlu *- it means literally “made of sugar, sweet” in translation from Kalmyk; it is an invented fairytale name of the lake.
A curtain *- a curtain was hung above a bed in a kibitka * and hid a bed entirely.
A kibitka *- a circle-shaped dwelling of Kalmyks with a conical roof and only one common room, it was constructed of six wooden gratings that were joined one another with leather loops and the gratings were covered with felt from outside.
A place to stop *- Kalmyks had a nomadic way of life.
A bosom * - space between a garment and skin.
A fire *- a fire was made by lightening dried cow pats in a trivet in the centre of a dwelling.
A trivet * – Kalmyk trivet looked as a three-cornered boiler of cast iron.
To bow three times * - Kalmyks were very devout; it was done to show one’s respect for gods.
Jersey *- Kalmyks made their clothes of natural wool and wear knitted clothes of fine-fleeced wool.
A sazhen *- the ancient measure of length: from someone’s finger tips of one stretched arm to finger tips of another stretched arm, the common length of two stretched arms both.
A right cheek, a right side * – there was a custom among Kalmyks and to kiss one’s right cheek meant to bless him and show one's respect for him. Also there was an ancient superstition among Kalmyks, a right side was preferable and sacred among Kalmyks. The right side of a dwelling and the right side of a bed belonged to a man, on the contrary, the left side of a dwelling and the left side of a bed considered to be a woman’s side, and when Kalmyks left home to do some deeds, they used to turn right and go clockwise as the sun went to have good luck and succeed.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.