Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: a/the movie
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:21:16 AM
Y111 wrote:
I guess you could ask so if you were not sure that such a movie existed.

Good thinking, Y111!
Topic: a/the movie
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:55:36 AM
srirr wrote:
I would perhaps not say "Have you seen a movie called "The people"?" in any situation.

I would if I assumed or knew that there exists more than one movie with the same title. There are at least three movies called Titanic, for example.

Hi, Ivan Fadeev. You’d better skip my posts in order not to get pissed off. Angel
Topic: Will be snowing
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:52:38 AM
Romany wrote:
THAT is precisely what I have been complaining about for ages!

You're lucky if this is the first time it's happened: it seems quite a regular - and extremely annoying - occurrance on TFD. Other posters have also mentioned the same thing happening to their posts - so at least one knows there's nothing sinister behind it!

I’am not inclined to think that it is a software bug that removes posts, either. Then there comes the question “Who benefits?”. I remember the admin never supported the idea of appointing forum members moderators. What if such moderators had already been around and keep “working” now? The motive of such a moderator may be their desire to harm some active native speakers out of envy. A crazy idea, but there must be something behind the constant disappearance of posts. Interestingly, my posts have never been deleted. Only native speakers complain about it.

Topic: Will all Russians go to heaven?
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 6:19:31 PM
Helenej wrote:
Алексей Кравченко wrote:
The aggressive policy of the Ukrainian authorities, the killing and violence of the Ukrainian army were also mentioned in the OSCE.

Could you give a link to an OSCE resolution about that?

No guts to admit that you were lying?
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 6:12:29 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
There are a few possibilities with this sentence aren't there?

1) We haven't set off to town yet, and we'll be staying there for an hour, shopping.
2) We have just arrived in town, and we'll be staying there for an hour, shopping.
3) We haven't set off to town yet, and we'll be staying there most of the day, shopping.
4) We have just arrived in town, and we'll be staying there most of the day, shopping.
5) We haven't set off to town yet, and we'll be staying there for a week, for some reason.
6) We have just arrived in town, and we'll be staying there for a week.
7) We have been in town for a couple of days, and we'll be staying there for another week.

I think I would use "Do you think it'll snow while we're in town?" for most of them.

I'd use "Do you think it'll be snowing while we're in town?" for (1) and (3). I definitely agree that I seem to expect the snow to continue for the whole visit (or most of it anyway) when I use this progressive form.

I think the number of possibilities is fewer. #5, 6 and 7 are pretty much the same in terms of the OP question. We would hardly expect the snow to continue for a week, so we won’t ask, “Do you think it will be snowing…?”.

On the other hand, # 2 and 4 fall into two cases each. I mean we should take into consideration the fact whether it is snowing at the moment of speaking or not. If it is already snowing, I doubt that anyone would ask, “Do you think it’ll snow?” And similarly, if it is not snowing at the moment of speaking and doesn’t look like it is going to start right now, we wouldn’t ask, “Do you think it’ll be snowing?”

Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 3:31:03 PM
FounDit wrote:
I distinctly recall having written a somewhat lengthy post on this topic.

Could you try to restore it somehow?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.