Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 22
[0.00% of all post / 0.45 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: twist him from his hold
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 3:07:05 AM
In H. G. Wells' short story, "the Cone", I read this:
"With one hand he clutched at the hand−rail, then with both. For a moment the two men stood swaying. Then suddenly, with a violent jerk, Horrocks had twisted him from his hold. He clutched at Horrocks and missed, his foot went back into empty air; in mid−air he twisted himself, and then cheek and shoulder and knee struck the hot cone together."

What does "twisted him from his hold" mean in this context?
Topic: the tumbled fire
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 1:45:14 AM
Topic: Do what he would
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 1:44:39 AM
In H. G. Wells' short story, "the Cone", I read this:
"And out upon the narrow rail that overhung the furnace, Raut's doubts came upon him again. Was it wise to be here? If Horrocks did know everything! Do what he would, he could not resist a violent trembling."

What does "Do what he would" mean in this context? Does it mean "let him do what he wants"?!!!
Topic: the tumbled fire
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 1:07:54 AM
In H. G. Wells' short story, "the Cone", I found this description of fire:
""Come on," said Horrocks in Raut's ear, and they went and peeped through the little glass hole behind the tuyeres, and saw the tumbled fire writhing in the pit of the blast−furnace."

What does "tumbled" mean in this context?
Topic: H. G. Wells's "The Cone"
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 4:49:37 AM
In H. G. Wells' short story "The Cone", what does "penthouse brows" mean?

Here's the context: "They saw the face dimly in the half−light, with unexpressive dark patches under the penthouse brows."
Topic: cutting, driving, tumult
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 1:29:19 AM

In H. G. Wells' short story "The Cone", I read:

"The distant sound of a roaring and rushing drew nearer and grew in volume; the house quivered; one heard the metallic rattle of the tender. As the train passed, there was a glare of light above the cutting and a driving tumult of smoke"

I simply didn't get the last part. What is meant by: cutting, driving, tumult?
Topic: advising arrest
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:24:23 AM
Hi all

In the Adventure of the Mazarin Stone Holmes says to Lord Cantlemere: 'In that case, my dear sir, I shall be under the painful necessity of advising your arrest.'

Does that mean that he would arrest him by himself, or that he would inform the authorities to arrest him?

Topic: I’ll do him down a thick ’un for that if I swing for it
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 1:25:45 AM
Guys, thank you so much but, I'm still confused about it Brick wall

Topic: I’ll do him down a thick ’un for that if I swing for it
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:28:51 AM
In Sherlock Holmes' story, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone, Holmes confronts Count Sylvius and his accomplice, Sam Merton, whom he suspects to have stolen the Mazarin stone, telling them that someone, called Sanders, has informed on them. Then, he leaves them together to have the chance to think of their situation before they confess their deed. When they are left together, the following conversation follows between Sam and the Count:

“Ikey Sanders has split on us.”
“He has, has he? I’ll do him down a thick ’un for that if I swing for it.”

Does it mean that he would kill Sanders with a "thick" (large caliber) bullet even if he would get hanged for it? Does "swing for it" mean get hanged, or go to jail? or either any of the two fates?
Topic: "We hope" versus "We will hope"
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 8:44:56 AM
Audiendus wrote:
"We will hope" stresses that the hoping will continue over a period of time. We will keep thinking about the matter and hoping.

It is similar to saying "Let's hope..."

Thank you so much.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.