Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 747
[0.08% of all post / 5.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: impressionable
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 4:21:25 PM
I'm reading in a book that 'impressionable' in 'impressionable dreams' means unforgettable.

But when I checked my dictionary, I've got my reservations about it.

OALD, 9th:

(of a person, especially a young one) easily influenced or affected by somebody/something

* Children at an impressionable age
* He is in a highly impressionable state.
* He was a bad influence on the child, who was at an impressionable age.

Advice and classroom hints are one thing, grammar rules are another. Michael Lewis (1986)
Topic: wish
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 4:06:01 PM
I wished I were better at science.

I wish I were better at science.

Shouldn't we backshift the tense when we use 'wished', hence the use of "had been"?

Advice and classroom hints are one thing, grammar rules are another. Michael Lewis (1986)
Topic: Writing an essay
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 4:01:17 PM
Hi
I'm going to take the IELTS exam in a month, and need a 7.5 in writing. So, for this time, I'm going to write some essays and post them here. I would appreciate it if you could help me spot my errors and improve my writing as much as possible before my exam.

Here is the first one:

It is important for children to learn the difference between right and wrong at an early age. Punishment is necessary to help them learn this distinction. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

What sort of punishment should parents and teachers be allowed to use to teach good behaviour to children?

It is believed that children should be made to distinguish between right and wrong from an early age. Some argue that to this end, parents and teachers should resort to punishment to get the desired results. I take the view that not every form of punishment should be practiced in that regard, especially the corporal one.

To start with, it is punishment and reward that encourage children to behave well. If they think that no unpleasant consequence would ensue because of their misdeed, they would go on making the same mistake again and again, forming annoying and unhealthy habits from an early age which would be doubly difficult to break up with later in life. For example, if a child is not deterred from smoking in childhood or keeping bullying his peers, it would be very likely that such a person were inclined to commit more serious crimes in adulthood.

On the other hand, some parents exercise physical punishment to nurture their children, which in effect could be found quite counter-productive. Legions of criminals interviewed have announced that a rough childhood led them to a life of crime. They assert that had it not been for the harsh treatment of their parents or primary-school teachers, they would have not lost their self-esteem in their childhood, developing to a sort of inferiority complex throughout their lives.

All in all, I contend that both punishment and reward should be employed in moderation to incentivize children to reconsider or reflect on their actions, for which they have been rewarded or punished. For instance, if a child refuses to study her lessons at school, the parent can take away some of her privileges, such as playing video games or seeing her friends for a while.

Topic: wish
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 2:38:51 PM
I always wished I was better at science.

Is the above grammatical? Or should it be "had been"?

Topic: reservations
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 2:27:53 PM
In conclusion, subject to one specific reservation, the increasing prevalence of fathers looking after their children during the day is a welcome phenomenon.

Is the underlined natural? What does it mean?

Topic: are/is
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 12:52:14 PM
Is the original ungrammatical?

Topic: Suitor
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:38:00 AM
Thank you.

I could read the following sentence properly, Dragon:

There is really no 'modern' word as "wooing" and "pressing one's suit" with a girl are not exactly the way it's done these days.

Is there anything wrong with it?

Topic: are/is
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:32:18 AM
How many days is the trip?

Fine?

Topic: for
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:29:34 AM
Andrea: Good. I’d like to do that. Does this trip also go into the desert?
Jamie: No, it continues to Santa Monica where most people like to stop and do some shopping.
Andrea: We have enough of that at home so that doesn’t interest us.
Jamie: Well you could go straight on to San Diego [6].
Andrea: That’s good for beaches isn’t it? [6]

Does 'for' mean 'because of' in the above?

What about 'on' in 'straight on'? Is it an optional element there?

Topic: Enough
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:26:30 AM
thar wrote:
True but it she had a hard time getting there, didn't she!

Indeed, but nothing noteworthy is gained in life without hardship. This novel gives the reader both insight and pleasure, what a good piece of literature is meant to do.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.