Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A "controversial" word
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 12:33:51 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. The tone of my original post was intended quite tongue-in-cheek, but this is obviously lesson 1,344,002,476 of how that kind of thing doesn't come across online.
All the same, the responses have been very interesting to read.
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:59:27 AM
Well, I do want discussion. About how to make the argument for how the word should best be used. That seems pretty legitimate.
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:30:58 AM
So, I am about to deliver a bollocking to a couple of writers I edit regularly for their excessive reliance of the word "controversial."

I cannot express enough how much I detest this word, or at least the way in which it is so liberally, lazily and inaccurately (in my correct opinion) used to refer to something *shocking*. Writers do this because they do not want to seem as though they are expressing an editorial view and are thereby crassly ducking potential incoming flak. If you want to indicate something is egregious but don't want to seem like you are taking a position, you just need to show not tell.

Now, I know I am right; this is not in dispute, but what I would like is some moral support from people who agree with me and can offer other explanations for why they believe this word is so often wrongly deployed.

If you disagree with this, you are wrong and you do not need to respond. Thank you for your understanding.
Topic: Comma after "by that time"
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:12:45 AM
Hi BobShilling,

Very helpful input. Indeed, my inclination toward the comma is mostly influenced by rhythm rather than any grammar rule I can identify.
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:34:08 AM
Thank you very much for the feedback!
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:28:40 AM
Editing a piece and uncertain whether to place a comma after the phrase "by that time"

For example:

"By that time, they were getting stuck into their second course."

OR

"By that time they were getting stuck into their second course."

My instinct is to go with option 1, although I cannot really come up with a reason why. If I am right, why am I right?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.