Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 19
[0.00% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: business
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 11:49:10 PM
The job put me in charge of a group of businesses with $4.2 billion in revenues, about 20 percent of the company’s total sales. The businesses included major appliances, air conditioners, lighting products, housewares and audio products, television receivers, radio and TV stations, and GE Credit Corp.

The structure was a great idea to help Reg choose his successor, but there was one problem for me. My new direct boss, Vice Chairman Walter “Dave” Dance, favored another candidate in the race—his longtime protégé, Stan Gault, who, like Dance, had invested virtually his entire career in our appliance businesses.

Hi, there. The excerpt above is derived from the book Jack: Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch. Does this "business" mean "an organization like a company"? But if so, why did the author use the plural form of this word in "appliance businesses"?
Topic: he had the bearing of a statesman
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 9:42:57 AM
On the surface, we could not have been more different. Trim and dignified, he was born in Britain and had the bearing of a statesman. I had grown up just 16 miles north of Boston, in Salem, Massachusetts, the only son of an Irish-American railroad conductor.

Hi, there! Does "he had the bearing of a statesman" mean "he behaved like a statesman"?
Topic: reported speech
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:45:31 AM
Mr Robinson worked in an office. Every morning he had breakfast with his wife at half past seven, read his newspaper, drank a cup of coffee and then left his house at 8 o'clock to go to catch his train to town.
One morning he was still sitting comfortably at the breakfast table and reading his newspaper at five minutes past eight. He did not seem to be in a hurry and asked his wife for another cup of coffee.
"Another cup?" she asked. "But aren't you going to the office today? Have you got a holiday?"
"The office?" he said and looked up from his newspaper very surprised. I thought that I was at the office!"

1. In reported speech, is it correct if I change the last sentence to "he said he had thought that he was at the office"?
2. I know Americans use "vacation" while British people like to say "holiday". I wonder how to express "have you got a holiday" in American English.
Topic: We must have added up your billing hours
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 2:50:45 AM
An attorney died and went to heaven. As he approached the Pearly Gates, he noticed an orchestra playing and thousands of angels cheering. St. peter himself rushed over to shake the lawyer's hand.
"This is quite a reception," marveled the new arrival.
"You're very special," St. Peter explained. "We've never had anyone live to be 130 before."
The attorney was puzzled. "But I'm only 65." St.Peter thought for a moment.
"Oh," he said, "We must have added up your billing hours."

Hi, there. Could you tell me what St.Peter means by his last sentence?
Topic: placing over his shop window this advertisement
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 3:44:57 AM
Three tailors had opened their shops in the same street, and as the competition was great, their business was bad. They were all very anxious to attract customers.
The first tailor tried to tempt the public by placing over his shop window this advertisement: The best tailor in the town. The second immediately hung up a large signboard, with this words: The best tailor in the world. The third was greatly puzzled, for he could not find a more attractive title. At last he painted on his shop the following words in big letters: The best tailor in the street.
The others were so vexed that they took away their signboards and closed their shops.

1. Does "the competition was great" mean "the competition was intense/fierce"?
2. I don't understand the meaning of "placing over his shop window this advertisement". Does this "over" mean the same as "over" in "all over the place"?
3. Does "he painted on his shop" leave out the word "window"? Should it be "he painted on his shop window"?

Thanks advance!
Topic: of your age/ your age
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:01:44 PM
1. She now has the same size waist as a boy of the same age. (of the same age)
2. When I was your age, I used to work six days a week. (your age)
3. She's the same age as her husband. (the same age)
4. My daughter, Jane, never dreamed of receiving a letter from a girl of her own age in Holland. (of her own age)
5. You need to make friends your age. (your age)

As you can see, some sentences use age with the word "of" and some without "of". Is there a rule? And by the way, can I change the sentence 1 to "she now has the same size as a boy her own age"?
Topic: if not sooner/if not most
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 2:05:54 AM
Thank you very much. But do you think "if not" has the meaning of "even"? Because in my grammar book, the writer thinks that "if not" and "even" mean the same thing. The writer is not a native speaker, so I'm not sure if he is right. Besides, "possibly" and "even" sounds very different. ex:

Their behavior was reproachable, if not criminal. (The writer says this sentence means "their behavior was reproachable, even criminal.")
He bullied his opponents and impugned their integrity, if not their patriotism. (The writer says it means "he bullied his opponents and impugned their integrity and even their patriotism.)
Thank you your time and help!
Topic: if not sooner/if not most
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 4:43:52 AM
1. I'm working on my fitness and I will be ready in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.
2. Let's meet tonight if not sooner.
3. Many people, if not most, will agree with her.

Could you tell me what "if not sooner" and "if not most" mean in these three sentences?
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:59:43 PM
Thanks ever so much for all of your help and replies. I really appreciate it!

Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 2:19:18 AM
L.Rai wrote:
Miss Felicity:

I'm curious, why do you want to do this?

A great English teacher told me retelling jokes is a good way to practice speaking English. In this joke, I can retell it from the perspectives of many people, such as the young man, the doctor or the young man's mother, to name but a few. But he suggested selecting at least three perspectives and practicing a couple of jokes every day. And this is the way he used to practice his spoken English.
I find retelling jokes useful and interesting. And I decide to use this method to practice speaking English. But my first step is to know how to report those sentences.Angel

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.