Statistics
Number of Posts: 145
[0.02% of all post / 0.32 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The subject-effect as a knot of the four concepts
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 3:42:31 AM
FounDit wrote:
alibey1917 wrote:
"He [Žižek] makes this proposal as a counter to Badiou’s early treatment of the subject-effect as a knot of the four concepts anxiety, courage, justice, and superego as well as to Badiou’s later substitution of terror for superego."

Can you paraphrase this sentence, especially the emphasized part of it?

The source: Comrade by Jodi Dean

I read it as: Badious treated the subject-effect as a combination of four concepts: anxiety, courage, justice, and superego (later substituting terror for superego). Žižek makes a proposal to counter that description/evaluation.

Thank you, FounDit, I got it.
Topic: The subject-effect as a knot of the four concepts
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 12:22:20 PM
"He [Žižek] makes this proposal as a counter to Badiou’s early treatment of the subject-effect as a knot of the four concepts anxiety, courage, justice, and superego as well as to Badiou’s later substitution of terror for superego."

Can you paraphrase this sentence, especially the emphasized part of it?

Topic: Trackers
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 6:25:34 AM
thar wrote:
apps that track where you are - your location at all times.

eg
Quote:

What Is a GPS car tracker?
A GPS tracking unit is a navigation device normally carried by a moving vehicle or person that uses the Global Positioning System (GPS) to track the device's movements and determine its location.

Thank you, thar, I got it.
Topic: Trackers
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 4:00:15 AM
"From holidays, to meals, to breaks, whatever common time we have is synchronized and enclosed in forms for capitalist appropriation. Communicative capitalism’s apps and trackers amplify this process such that the time of consumption can be measured in much the same way that Taylorism measured the time of production: How long did a viewer spend on a particular web page?"

What does "tracker" mean here?

Topic: A meaning question
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:19:06 AM
thar wrote:
alibey1917 wrote:

The book we mentioned is really good, thar, but the language he used through it is really bad. Is this a contradiction, maybe, but I think it will be well worth your time to read it.

Yes, there seem to be some interesting ideas and thought-provoking comparisons. And from that article in the newspaper he sounded like a man who had interesting things to say about urban planning and architecture. It just seems unfortunate he makes it such hard work to read it.

As a native speaker - albeit with no knowledge of architecture (some terminology I just didn't know) or social science - I should be able to be grappling with the ideas he puts forward, not working to extract the meaning from the way he has phrased his sentences.

The best writing is where you don't notice the words at all - you are just pulled in by the story or the ideas. The quality of the writing is what paints the picture, but it is best if you don't notice it. Page to brain without the intermediary step of the words.

Like the perfect referee - the less you noticed him during a game, the better he did his job.
(Maybe that is why I never did go in for literary, art or film criticism - I prefer my literature unanalysed.Whistle )

I totally agree with you.
Topic: Extravagant passage
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:19:08 AM
thar wrote:
Passage = as you pass through it, ie travel through the city

Extravagant = rich (to the senses) - a lot to see and experience. The opposite of 'mnimalist" is probably the best description I can come up with.

Thank you, thar, I got it.
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 7:30:23 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Oh, so it should be becomes! Thanks, Romany. I can't help noting that building super-complex sentences and then altering one or two verb forms in them is an especially nasty trick.

it's my fault, Kirill, the writer wrote this as "become[s]", I don't know how I did it but the [s] dropped from the quotation.
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 6:26:44 AM
"The experience of increasingly vertical movement above and below the street-level city, he continues, ‘become an extravagant passage of surreal encounter and discovery through the city in an attempt to discover and remake it in an image not mediated by corporate sponsors and bureaucrats but by bands of friends doing epic shit together."

What does "extravagant passage" mean here?

The source: Vertical by Stephen Graham
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:45:11 AM
thar wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
alibey1917 wrote:
Thank you, friends.

Did you get it?

resonances with WHAT?

with the way the excavation of bunkers DID WHAT?

A verb is missing.

This is all a statement.
Here + verb + subject
inverted

"Here emerges a powerful series of resonances

You could write
a powerful series of resonances emerges here

but he inverts it because he wants to write a really long section on what the resonances are with:

noun phrase

resonances with the way the excavation of bunkers linked seamlessly in the Cold War with constructions of modernist Brutalism above the surface within an all-powerful rhetoric of mutually assured destruction or ‘exterminism’."

which is a noun + preposition phrase

resonances with the way the excavation of bunkers linked seamlessly in the Cold War with constructions of modernist Brutalism above the surface within an all-powerful rhetoric of mutually assured destruction or ‘exterminism’."

which is again composed of various parts including a clause and a prepositional phrase

the excavation [of bunkers] linked seamlessly in the Cold War with

constructions of modernist Brutalism above the surface

[and all this happened]
within an all-powerful rhetoric of mutually assured destruction or ‘exterminism’

sorry if some of my terminology is wrong. I don't know the terms except the basics. Anything else I have picked up from here, but I may not be using the terms correctly. Just go by the idea, not the exact terminology I use.

I completely understand it now, thar, thank you very much.
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:40:39 AM
thar wrote:
You can't back us up? Think

We seem to be in complete agreement!

(I may have been quite mild about him this time, but I am sure previous responses to such obfuscatory prose have included 'bollocks' as my purely untrained opinion. )

And the guy is a native - Geordie.
By way of America, so we can blame them, but now he is back working at Newcastle University he should know better!

from his staff profile

Quote:
Introduction

Stephen Graham is an academic and author who researches cities and urban life. He is Professor of Cities and Society at the Global Urban Research Unit and is based in Newcastle University's School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape.

Professor Graham has a background in Geography, Planning and the Sociology of Technology. His research centres, in particular, on:

* Vertical aspects of cities and urban life

* Links between cities, technology and infrastructure

* Urban aspects of surveillance

* The mediation of urban life by digital technologies; and

* Links between security, militarisation and urban life.

Writing, publishing and lecturing across many countries and a variety of disciplines, Professor Graham has been Visiting Professor at MIT and NYU, amongst other institutions. The author, editor or co-author of seven major books, his work has been translated into eighteen languages.

Qualifications

Ph.D. (Science and Technology Policy), Programme for Policy Research in Engineering, Science and Technology (PREST), University of Manchester.

Title: Networking Cities: A Comparison of Urban Telecommunications Initiatives in France and Britain (completed part-time 1992-1996)

1989 M.Phil. (Town and Country Planning), University of Newcastle upon Tyne?(Royal Town Planning Institute Prize)

1986 B.Sc.(Hons.) (Geography), University of Southampton (First Class).

Previous Positions

2005-2010, Professor of Human Geography, Department of Geography, University of Durham

1992-2005 Lecturer, then Reader, then Professor, School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape, Newcastle University

1999-2000 Full-Time Visiting Professor, Department of Urban Studies and Planning (DUSP), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

1989-1992 Urban Planner, then Economic Development Officer, Sheffield City Council

Honours and Awards

2016: Graham, S. (2016), Vertical: The City From Satellites to Bunkers, Guardian book of the week and Financial Times and Observer book of the year.
edit - Somebody obviously liked it! Who are we to argue with the Guardian. Whistle

2011: Graham, S. (2010), Cities Under Siege: The New Military Urbanism, nominated for the Orwell prize for political writing and Guardian book of the week .

2004: Graham, S. and Marvin, S, (2001), Splintering Urbanism, nominated by the Urban Geography Speciality Group for the Royal Geographical Society/Institute of British Geographers annual book prize.

1st Prize for best paper published in European Planning Studies during 1999: Graham, S. and Healey, P. (1999), “Relational concepts of space and place: Issues for Planning Theory and Practice”. European Planning Studies, 7(5), 623-646.

Languages

Inadequate French.

The book we mentioned is really good, thar, but the language he used through it is really bad. Is this a contradiction, maybe, but I think it will be well worth your time to read it.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.