Number of Posts: 175
[0.02% of all post / 0.35 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Working out and working through of the truth
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 5:21:06 AM
thar wrote:
And the difference between working out - solving, reaching the solution
eg you work out a maths problem

and working through - experiencing, investigating, understanding, coming to a reconciliation

Thank you, thar, I got it.
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:10:11 AM
Nunya Korsi-Awudza wrote:
I've done a breakdown of sorts. I hope this helps to simplify things for you.

"Fidelity is a working out and working through of the truth, an engagement with truth that extends out into and changes the world." (jodi Dean, Comrade)

This, in two sentences, is:

Fidelity is a working out and working through of the truth. Fidelity is an engagement with truth that extends out into and changes the world.

It could then be inferred that:

Fidelity extends out into the world. Fidelity changes the world.

Thank you, Nunya Korsi-Awudza.
Topic: Self-relations
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:50:02 AM
Thank you for your times, friends.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:22:08 AM
"The decision that a truth has appeared, that an event has occurred, incites a process of verification, the “infinite procedure of verification of the true,” in what Badiou calls an “exercise of fidelity.” Fidelity is a working out and working through of the truth, an engagement with truth that extends out into and changes the world." (jodi Dean, Comrade)

What does "working out and working through of the truth" mean here?

And what is the thing "that extends out into and changes the world", is it "an engagement" or "truth"?
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:30:38 AM
thar wrote:
alibey1917 wrote:
thar wrote:
That this writing is tripe

Anxious

If that means confusion, that is a joke. Tripe is another word for gibberish.
It is meat from the stomach of cows, and is not eaten so much nowadays in Britain, so here it has gone for dog food.

[quote]tripe

noun
the first or second stomach of a cow or other ruminant used as food.
INFORMAL
nonsense; rubbish.
"you do talk tripe sometimes"

although tripe is actually both beautiful and functional. This writing, in my opinion, is neither of those things.

Sorry to derail the thread when you want an answer, but I really think it has to come from the context of the rest of the piece - ie work out what the author probably means to say here, and that is what that phrase means!

The thing I don't understand here is what "self-relations" means; the writer used the term here once and for all. As if what the writer meant with that is "individual relationships" but the term has no such a meaning.

Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:54:32 AM
thar wrote:
That this writing is tripe

seriously, I have no idea.

Anxious
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:26:38 AM
"For anticommunists, the instrumentalism of comrade relations appears horrifying. Combined with the machinic impersonality and fungibility of comrades, the fact that relations between comrades are produced for an exterior purpose, that they are means rather than ends in themselves, seems morally objectionable. This objection fails to acknowledge the specificity of comradeship as a political relation, as being on the same side of struggle. It omits the way political work focuses on ends beyond the individual and so necessarily requires collective coordination. It presumes a totalizing politics that subsumes all relations rather than recognizing an abstract politics liberated or alienated from specific social relations. And it contracts the space of meaning into self-relations, as if abstracted generic relations among those faithful to a political truth could only be the result of manipulation." (jodi Dean, Comrade)

What does "self-relations" mean here?
Topic: İf all are to preserve
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2020 10:47:41 AM
Thank you, FounDit, I got it.
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 11:50:30 AM
thar wrote:
All = everyone

Preserve = be preserved = survive ?
(Very odd way of putting it)

Edit
Is this me, or is this even more obfuscating and downright incomprehensible than the last author?

I mean, I know I am no expert on political science, but I know something of history, I can read and I am not a complete idiot. And yet to me this is just - twaddle!

Thank you, thar.
Posted: Saturday, January 4, 2020 9:36:14 AM
"The comrade is the zero-level of communism because it designates the relation between those on the same side of the struggle to produce free, just, and equal social relations, relations without exploitation. Their relation is political, divisive. And it is intimate, intertwined with the sense of how desperately each depends upon the other if all are to preserve." ((jodi Dean,Comrade)

What does the emphasized phrase mean here?