Statistics
Number of Posts: 19
[0.00% of all post / 0.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: This is vs it's vs i'm
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:57:20 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi!

I think, if I received a phone call from an unknown number (my phone tells me who is calling for most people - I rarely get 'unknowns' except people selling insurance) I would answer normally "Hello?" - I would expect the caller to say "Hello. This is Igor fromTFD. We met online . . ."
He should know whose number he is calling.
Then - if I didn't recognise the name or description of where we met, he might say "Is that Bill Blow? Or do I have a wrong number?"

If someone called me and I answered - then they asked "Who is this?", I would be tempted to answer "Well, who did you call?"
I would expect more commonly "Hi! Is that Joe?" rather than "Who's that?"

It's not really any formal 'routine' or 'formula' but there are the 'guides' which have been mentioned earlier.
First you have to choose which level of 'acquaintance' or 'friend' or 'stranger' you want to use - this is rather subjective, but for text (which is an informal communication) I would guess 'friendly acquaintance' or 'new friend' would be normal for the type of thing you mentioned (someone you had met at a convention, and had exchanged phone numbers).

"My name is . . ." is most formal. You think you may not be the person the caller is trying to get.
"I'm . . ." is still formal, but maybe slightly more personal (it's "I" not "my name")
"This is . . ." is less formal
"It's . . ." is even less formal - or even just "Joe here on my new phone number. Can you . . .?" straight into the subject of the text.

They are all polite - I suppose that politeness, to some extent, is using the right level of friendliness for the specific person - for me, the middle levels will work for anyone.

A message like "Hi there, Bob! Wow, it's really great to speak to you again, Bob. This is Joe - I called you three months ago, Bob, about your insurance!
It's really great that I got hold of you, Bob, because I have a new deal, Bob!" just sounds false and not friendly at all.

What a fantastic explanation!!!
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 5:05:14 PM
I noticed I wasn't really clear.
I try to explain better.
If the caller asks:"who is this?" or "is this...?" can I reply saying "my name is.."?
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 3:14:37 AM
Fantastic teachers!
I was thinking:
Hi,
When I am not the caller but the answer and the caller ask (after identifying himself) "who is this", can I use "My name is, or this is or it'" according to the relationship wit him/her (total strange/friend etc) as discussed above? I hope and think so!
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 1:58:14 PM
I really love this forum and I really would like to know this fantastic language as a native speakerd'oh! Sick
But I have many many doubts... Uff
Thank you again for you patience and help!!! Now I have understood better.
Can I do a last question? So, in your opinion, is more polite (or even better) to use "my name" than "i am"?
Ps please, don't kill me!
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 12:23:11 AM
Hi, i don't know if it's a refuse, but I meant the difference "my name... Etc" and "this is... Etc". Do you thing are the same?
Why did you write "i'm Igor.."is too friendly, when in other your post (e.g. 28 Sept) you said that I could use it with strangers?
Thanks
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 6:19:02 PM
So, what is the difference between "my name is Igor. We met..." and "this is Igor. We met..."?
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 12:00:31 PM
So, the only difference between "I am" and "my name" is the level of "formality"?
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 5:10:37 PM
Igor_ wrote:
Angel No problem.
Thank you.
So I unterstood that "my name" can be used the same way "I am", with the difference the former is slightly more "formal". I can use them to have a little more distance with the other person, or if i feel they may not really remember meeting me (always by sms etx Angel)

So, is my name the same of "I am"?
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:16:46 PM
Angel No problem.
Thank you.
So I unterstood that "my name" can be used the same way "I am", with the difference the former is slightly more "formal". I can use them to have a little more distance with the other person, or if i feel they may not really remember meeting me (always by sms etx Angel)
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:55:33 AM
FounDit wrote:
Igor_ wrote:
Dancing
Thanks.
And,if you received something like that "Hi FounDit, my name is Igor. Me met..."
To me, this message would seem very odd. Do you agree with me?

It would not sound strange to me if you say we have met already. However, I would appreciate you speaking clearly and slowly and giving me enough time to recall our meeting, perhaps with some details of it.

If I recall it, I would be more inclined to be friendly, but if you speak quickly, and I don't recall meeting you, I'd likely be inclined to be suspicious of the call, and end it quickly.

Ah ok! I intended if you received a message/whatsapp/email... Is it the same?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.