Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Op ed
Posted: Sunday, September 9, 2018 12:24:16 AM
An op-ed is written by a person who does not work for the newspaper that publishes the work. An editorial is written by a paid employee (usually the editor) of the paper.
Topic: New book reveals Trump's White House, and the news ain't good.
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:27:48 PM
Chazlee wrote:
Pantuflas wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when Bob Woodward told us all the truth about Nixon. I trust him. But what will happen because of the book? Washington insiders and thinking people who are not sheep have known for years that The Donald is unfit to be president. And yet there he still is, big as life and twice as ugly. The book will only confirm what most of us already knew, and widen the divide between "Us and Them". My mother, who lived through the Great Depression, WWII, and everything else that has happened since then, says she has never been so afraid for the country as she is now. Making elderly people scared is hardly the way to 'make America great again'.

While this book does indeed seem to "confirm what most of us already knew," I think you are wrong to assume that nothing will happen when this book is published simply because that has been the situation so far. With more evidence of Trump's inability to govern the country being presented to the public on a continual basis, there will come, I believe, a breaking point in which it is impossible to turn a blind eye to what this president is doing. At that time, those in Washington with the power to do something to stop Trump will step up and finally put the best interest of America above their own desire to not upset Trump's hardcore supporters.

As for your mother being afraid, that shows she is paying attention to what is happening to America, and that she, unlike Trump, loves the country. Yet, I hope you are not suggesting, as you seem to be, that journalists like Woodward should not present to the public information about what is happening in the White House so as to not "scare" our elderly citizens. In reality, all Americans should be afraid of what is happening in Washington right now.

No, Chazlee, my intention was not to suggest that journalists should not tell the public the truth about the White House and its rabble. I clearly did not state my thoughts explicitly enough. Trump is responsible for the slogan 'make America great again', but scaring the elderly (and anyone who has a functioning brain) with his foolishness is not the way to do it. My mother is scared of her own country's president and what he is doing to the country, and what he will do before he is gone. That is no way for any citizen who loves their country, if not their leader, to live.

Topic: New book reveals Trump's White House, and the news ain't good.
Posted: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:31:56 PM
I'm old enough to remember when Bob Woodward told us all the truth about Nixon. I trust him. But what will happen because of the book? Washington insiders and thinking people who are not sheep have known for years that The Donald is unfit to be president. And yet there he still is, big as life and twice as ugly. The book will only confirm what most of us already knew, and widen the divide between "Us and Them". My mother, who lived through the Great Depression, WWII, and everything else that has happened since then, says she has never been so afraid for the country as she is now. Making elderly people scared is hardly the way to 'make America great again'.
Topic: Engelbert Humperdinck (1854)
Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2018 12:33:35 AM
I had trouble getting to a complete article about Humperdinck. The links didn't send me anywhere useful. Here is the wiki link about this composer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engelbert_Humperdinck_(composer)
Topic: Who has not remarked the readiness with which the closest of friends and honestest of men suspect and accuse each other of...
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 12:18:32 AM
How many more quotes by Thackeray are we going to have this week? Just curious.....:-))
Topic: By humbly and frankly acknowledging yourself to be in the wrong, there is no knowing, my son, what good you may do.
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 12:25:33 AM
Does anyone even do such a thing anymore?

People are too busy blaming someone else for what they themselves have done.

Where is the maturity and responsibility (not to mention integrity) in that?

Topic: Men are all right for friends, but as soon as you marry them they turn into cranky old fathers, even the wild ones. They...
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 12:43:58 PM
Thank you, monamagda, for supplying the passage relating to this quote. Too many years have passed since the last time I read My Antonia or anything else by Cather. She was so talented!

I think it is important for each person to understand themselves sufficiently to know whether or not they want to be married or to have children or whatever. Sometimes it takes a mistake or
two to learn these details about ourselves, and if we all had the early self-awareness that Lena shows here, there would be fewer unhappy people in the world.
Topic: Should it be "put on" instead?
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 9:27:36 AM
At first I thought it should be 'put on' instead of 'put up' because the first phrase sounded better when I read it.

But I got curious and entered 'put on' into the search box and found that in this case technically 'put up' would be correct, at least according to the information given. Here is the page https://www.thefreedictionary.com/put+on

Thanks for helping me learn something new.

(But I think I would still feel more comfortable saying 'put on'!)
Topic: Soso
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 8:20:57 AM
'So-so' generally is used to describe the subject as neither good nor bad, just okay. In this case the person's credit rating is not bad enough to be denied a card, but it is not really very good either, so they would probably not get a very high credit limit on their new card.

Hope that helps?
Topic: There is no vice that doth so cover a man with shame, as to be found false and perfidious.
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 2:03:57 AM
For me, this is a true statement. But not many people, especially those in public office, seem to care about honesty these days. What a shame.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.