Number of Posts: 118
[0.01% of all post / 1.39 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Forward of this point
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 2:03:50 PM

just sayin'
Topic: OZ MCML
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 7:29:17 AM

Back then, people thought that 'cuisine' was a French word.

just sayin'
Topic: Is this sentene normal and easy to be understood?
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 6:18:44 AM

Quote:
...African English... "now now" means "at this very time", "immediately." ,,,

Hai Romany, maybe you can declare the discrepancy of your above definition with my experience that 'now now' means any time but 'immediately'.

just sayin'
Topic: Is this sentene normal and easy to be understood?
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 10:37:38 AM

Yikes! When I was an intern (stagiair) in the Dutch Consulate General in South Africa, I always interpreted the expression ‘now now’ as meaning that ‘I will do it when or as soon as I get time’.

It was not at all like Dutch efficiency.

just sayin'
Topic: snivel,mucus?
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 10:20:09 AM

The OP has answered this himself.

Can’t you just say:

'That’s from your runny nose and if you wipe your nose with your hand you will get a dirty face.'

just sayin'
Topic: The Prime Minister
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 1:50:28 AM

Not sure that ‘president’ should be capitalized here in this context. Since it is not a direct address it could be any US president. Same with ‘prime minister’.

just sayin'
Topic: Information Terrorists Trying to Reshape America/Other Countries
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:06:55 PM

The down side of turning off your phone is that you also miss any AMBER ALERTS or national emergencies bulletins…at least where I live.

The downside of leaving your phone on is that we could get another 'The War of the Worlds' broadcast situation.

just sayin'
Topic: Information Terrorists Trying to Reshape America/Other Countries
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:59:51 PM

Quote:

…About two decades ago... back in those primitive days, it was quite evident that privacy as commonly thought of was gone….

Even much earlier than this, there were the White Pages (telephone directories) that listed the name, address and phone number for almost the whole population. And everybody thought that this was perfectly ‘normal’. The directory was delivered biennially free to your doorstep with an update. Where I live now, this book has been discontinued- the reason was not because of privacy but because of ecological concerns.

just sayin'
Topic: Post code
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 8:14:03 AM

In the Netherlands the postcode is quite efficient. It has the form of 1234AB where the numerals indicate the area and the letters the street. This code never covers more than 100 houses – and all on the same side of the street.

For private mail, just by adding the house number (and if appropriate, an apartment number) the letter or parcel will arrive as expected without mention any name or street.

1234AB/35C

is sufficient to write on the envelope even without the recipient’s name, street or town. In this example 35 is the house number and 'C' is the apartment ‘number’.

This sort of construction is quite commonly used by senders who write the return address on the back of the envelope - it provides some privacy.

If sent from abroad, just add ‘Holland’.

Having written all this, in practice ‘snail' mail is losing out to other types of correspondence, post offices are disappearing and the price of postage stamps is outrageous.

But postcodes are easily added to your GPS navigator.

just sayin'
Topic: OG ?
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:50:32 AM

Quote:

That must be one of the most convoluted origins for a word...

yer…and the armorial motto of the 'Derby' family is: Sans changer

just sayin'

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.