Number of Posts: 86
[0.01% of all post / 3.58 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: spoilt
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 9:42:47 AM
Duplicate post - http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst181514_spoilt.aspx
Topic: Are getting back
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 4:04:03 AM
The progressive aspect almost always denotes situaios of limited duration - in this case, something that is going on at the time of speaking/writing. It began before that time and will end after that time. It is not a permanent situation.

By the way, it's loses, not looses.
Topic: Taught
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 3:59:55 AM
Jigneshbharati wrote:

Is "taught" a reduced relative clause- that/which is taught

Yes

Quote:
And thus functioning as an adjective and modifying the noun "language"?

I would say 'functioning as a modifier of the noun 'language' as an adjective does', but that's the pedant in me.
Topic: Simple present
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 3:54:55 AM

There is nothing unusual here. The present simple is very often used for regular, repeated, ongoing situations. the meaning, teaching, helping refer to situations actualising in the present, past and future.
Topic: Is the sentence OK?
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 3:49:24 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Walking up and down the room, we tried to find a way to solve our problem.

It looks OK to me. I picture quite a large, or at least long, room.
Topic: last week today
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2018 3:41:59 AM
I added 'a week ago today to the original Ngram, combined t with the second, and started it at 1900. Here's the result.
Topic: last week today
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:14:19 PM
NKM wrote:
If I heard "today last week" or "this day last week", I'd have to wonder what not only was meant but also what dialect was being spoken.

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who found those rather unnatural
Topic: Which is the correct verb?
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:54:55 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
If one looks at grammar as 'a study of the way people use the language' - if no-one uses it now, it's wrong!

That could start another long discussion that would bore the pants off everybody except thee and me. Shall we let this one pass unnoticed?
Topic: Which is the correct verb?
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 7:40:25 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
This would be very unusual, but I have heard (and I have a feeling it is a correct subjunctive/hypothetical form)
"It would be good if every one of us go through the text".

Except for some fossilised expressions such as 'Long live the Queen' and 'If that be so', the present subjunctive is dead for most (not all) speakers of BrE.

My personal feeling is that I am not (completely) alone in using the present subjunctive in such utterances as 'I suggest/insist (that) he go'. However, I know of nobody, even in that tiny minority of native speakers older than I, who uses a subjunctive in present/future conditional sentences (apart from in the fossilised expressions I have already mentioned.

I believe (personal opinion again) that "It would be good if every one of us go through the text" is incorrect/unnatural. This is because the 'would be' of the apodosis (condition) clause tells us that the condition is of the hypothetical future-time or irrealis present-time type. This requires a past (subjunctive) form in the protasis (condition) clause:

"It would be good if every one of us went through the text."
"It would be good if every one of us were to through the text."

I have stressed the 'personal opinion' aspect of my response. The use/non-use of subjunctive forms in BrE is not a topic on which writers of style guides agree. And this is (once again - in my opinion) a matter of style rather than grammar. Modern grammarians can and do record examples of the present subjunctive they have noted. They can comment on the frequency of such orm, but rarely comment on the 'correctness' of them.
Topic: Which is the correct sentence?
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 5:27:57 PM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Could someone confirm whether TMe's correction is in order?

Asking for that sort of confirmation could be taken to suggest that you think that is is not OK. You may indeed think that, but it is not very tactful to seem to suggest that when somebody has made the effort to try to help.

It seems to me that, with knowledgeable members like Drag0, Thar, FD and others in this forum, incorrect answers are soon discussed and corrected without any need to request confirmation.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.