Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 10
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: unfrequented
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:30:04 AM
Think of the word itself: unfrequented - and its opposite: frequented. Frequent means at short intervals, or often.
The opposite is at long intervals or seldom. So it does not mean "Devoid of creatures", a curious expression at best.
If unfrequented did me no one was ever in the library, then it would have been closed. Lovers would choose an
unfrequented spot (one not often visited, not unvisited) for a bit of quiet intimacy.
Topic: parlous
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 6:07:41 AM
Parlous - in the UK - more often refers to things in a poor state of repair or general condition, rather than dangerous. A vehicle, house or even a sofa might be in a parlous condition.
Topic: minibar
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:07:42 AM
In the UK a wooden cabinet standing on the floor, usually some four to eight feet long, eighteen inches to two feet deep, and the top some three to four feet high. With a flat top and drawers to contain dining rom items, or doors to open to reveal one or two shelves for such items,and also general sitting room items. Often used to store wine glasses and cutlery. There is usually a free space a foot or more high beneath the bottom of the cabinet.
Topic: palmistry
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2018 5:04:36 AM
Palmistry - the pretence that the future can be revealed by looking at people's palms. THe making of money from pretending that the future can be revealed by looking at people's palms.
Topic: overextend
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2018 4:17:40 AM
In an extended trot, canter or gallop, the extremities of a horse's legs move further forward and backward, with the risk of a hind hoof hitting the soft tissue making up the rear of a fore hoof's fetlock and injuring it.
Topic: laundress
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2018 5:03:26 AM
I feel "A working woman who takes in washing" to be a poor definition. It suggests that her "taking in washing" is almost a side line to other work. The emphasis should be on washing, not being a working woman. How about "a woman who works in a laundry, or who works washing other people's laundry at her own home"? The area where I used to live in London was called "Soapsud Island", because there were so many laundries in the area. The last one closed in the 1990s. They dated from the 19th century. The groundwater was soft and ideal for washing clothes and bed linen, and the area was close to London's West End where most of the upper class Londoners lived for the laundry to be readily collected and delivered by horse-drawn waggons.
Topic: cleave
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 4:54:00 AM
Cleave also means to cling to, to stay close to. As in the Christian hymn "Jesus, let me cleave to thee".
Topic: snickersnee
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:03:08 AM
Tonight I am going to see a performance of the Gilbert & Sullivan comic operatta The Mikado, in which there are the lines sung by Ko-Ko the Lord High Executioner: “As he squirmed and struggled, / And gurgled and guggled, / I drew my snickersnee!”"
Topic: subtitle
Posted: Friday, September 7, 2018 6:20:01 AM
A subtitle is also a secondary title of a book or play or opera, operetta or film. For example: The Wreck of the Titan, or, Futility (also known as Futility, or, The Wreck of the Titan); The Mikado, or The Town of Titipu.
Topic: top-notch
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 4:35:13 AM
Why are the origins of the words not given? For "top notch" - "c. 1577 from 'otch', from Middle French 'oche' (notch) Old French 'ochier' " to notch". Top notch would indicate an arrow notch that could be brought to the bowstring and 'notched' quickly, increasing bowman's rate of fire "

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.