Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 18
[0.00% of all post / 0.23 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: the margins
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:54:42 AM
Hello,

It hard for me to understand the following sentence.

Quote:
"Likewise, in business, we are often worried by maverick disruptors threatening incumbent firms from the margins of our industry."

I guess that the margins here are the profit, if not, whether it means that "Maverick disruptors pose a threat to incumbent firms of becoming the margins of our industry."

I would appreciate it if you can help me to write down the sentence in clear words.
Topic: Digital is a noun or an adjective
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:39:05 AM
Dear Drag0nspeaker and Kirill,

Here is the question:

Quote:
How can this be, at a moment when virtually every company in the world is worried about its digital future? In other words, why are so many digital strategies failing? The answer has to do with the magnitude of the disruptive economic force digital has become and its incompatibility with traditional economic, strategic, and operating models.

Does it help?
Topic: Digital is a noun or an adjective
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:25:58 AM
Hello,

There are about 6 meanings of digital as an adjective in TFD. When using as a noun, digital is a digital device. I am not sure whether when the term "digitalization" is increasingly more popular than ever, digital as a noun has an extended meaning.

I come up with this concern from below sentence, as far as my understanding, digital here is a noun.
If not, would you please help me rephrase it?

Quote:
The answer has to do with the magnitude of the disruptive economic force digital has become.

Thank you.
Topic: As....as it is daunting
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:22:12 AM
Thank you FounDit.
So it means that operating at this level of flexibility can be rewarded equally to the effort required.
Topic: inversion with should
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:16:28 AM
I get it now.

Thank you Palapaguy.
Topic: inversion with should
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 11:41:23 PM
Hello,

Please help me rephrase the following sentence.
Quote:
"To force an IPO should one not occur, directors representing one-third of the board would be given the right to appoint additional directors until they attained majority control of the board and could initiate the IPO process."

From my understanding, it is "to force an IPO, one should not occur", isn't it.

Thank you.
Topic: As....as it is daunting
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:06:56 AM
Hello,

Please help to rephrase the below sentence.
" Operating at this level of flexibility can be as rewarding as it is daunting. Near bankruptcy in 1985, Haier has since become the world’s largest home-appliance company—ahead of LG, Samsung, GE, and Whirlpool."

From my understanding, it means that operating at this level of flexibility can be rewarded though it is daunting. Am I correct?
Thank you.
Topic: Be drawn to fire
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 11:55:25 PM
Hi all,

I am seeking the meaning of "be drawn to fire" on Internet, but I have just found the phrase "draw fire".
Please help me explain its meaning in the following sentence:"Behind every apparently sensible scientist is a child who was irrationally drawn to fire".

I am not sure whether "draw to fire" is a phrase or each is an independent verb. If it is the latter, then I think "draw" here is "choose". When looking for "fire" in the Oxford Dictionary, however, I have discovered that most of the meanings of "fire" is a transitive verb.

Topic: Overland component
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 10:06:56 PM
Dear Kiri, Leon, and Dragon,

I get it now.
Thank you all.
Topic: Overland component
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2018 6:25:06 AM
As far I read, there are actually both maritime routes and land routes in their initiative called "One belt, One road".
From your opinion, can I derive that the "overland component" is referring to the route which they intend to build on the land?

I'm an English language learner, please let me know if there are grammatical errors in my posts.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.