Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 24
[0.00% of all post / 0.17 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Head back to the future
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 11:16:44 PM
Head back is similar to go back. But what one means when he says: "Head back to the future"?

Topic: put it back the way it was
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:52:57 AM
Hello,

Ms. Janette Sadik-Khan, former New York transportation commissioner said: "It was all about the data. If it works better for traffic, if it was better for mobility, if it was safer, better for business, we would keep it, and if it didn’t work, no harm, no foul, we could put it back the way it was." (she mentioned about her data-driven approach to solving traffic jam).
What does "Put it back the way it was" mean?
I understand each word separately, but when they are combined into a phrase I can't get it.
Topic: Make it up
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:11:23 AM
Thank you BobShilling, and Thank you Thar,

You have given me a very detailed explanation. So, all that he would like to share is about the indecision of human.
Topic: Make it up
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 5:46:42 AM
Hello,

Mark Twain once said that:"I must have a prodigious quantity of mind. It takes me as much as a week, sometimes, to make it up".
Since he is a writer, I guess that "make it up" in his sentence is "inventing a story". Am I correct?
If not, please help me to paraphrase it.
Thank you.
Topic: What is "Create scale"
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 10:15:43 PM
Thank you all, Drag0nspeaker, thar, Donthailand and Orson Burleigh,

It is such a obscure writing. But I can guess somewhat of what the report want to mention, it might be that "Guilds shall help to create Pay scale for employees if needed."
Topic: What is "Create scale"
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2018 6:52:10 AM
Hello,

May you clear me up the meaning of "create scale" in the following sentence?

"Guilds help workers create scale when needed, remain current and build trust in their services." - Excerpted from a report of PwC
As far as my understanding, create scale means to make a change to the scale.
But, when I googled the phrase, a writing from Chicagonow puts it like that: "put it another way, the drive is to create scale (impact) by reducing scale (size) to ensure educational impact."
As she, the author put impact into a bracket, I draw from it that to create scale means to impact.
Am I correct?
Topic: the margins
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:54:42 AM
Hello,

It hard for me to understand the following sentence.

Quote:
"Likewise, in business, we are often worried by maverick disruptors threatening incumbent firms from the margins of our industry."

I guess that the margins here are the profit, if not, whether it means that "Maverick disruptors pose a threat to incumbent firms of becoming the margins of our industry."

I would appreciate it if you can help me to write down the sentence in clear words.
Topic: Digital is a noun or an adjective
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:39:05 AM
Dear Drag0nspeaker and Kirill,

Here is the question:

Quote:
How can this be, at a moment when virtually every company in the world is worried about its digital future? In other words, why are so many digital strategies failing? The answer has to do with the magnitude of the disruptive economic force digital has become and its incompatibility with traditional economic, strategic, and operating models.

Does it help?
Topic: Digital is a noun or an adjective
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 5:25:58 AM
Hello,

There are about 6 meanings of digital as an adjective in TFD. When using as a noun, digital is a digital device. I am not sure whether when the term "digitalization" is increasingly more popular than ever, digital as a noun has an extended meaning.

I come up with this concern from below sentence, as far as my understanding, digital here is a noun.
If not, would you please help me rephrase it?

Quote:
The answer has to do with the magnitude of the disruptive economic force digital has become.

Thank you.
Topic: As....as it is daunting
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 1:22:12 AM
Thank you FounDit.
So it means that operating at this level of flexibility can be rewarded equally to the effort required.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.