User Name: Fyfardens
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 333
[0.04% of all post / 2.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: what word I can use before "adverb".
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:50:14 PM
You, as a teacher, might be interested in the idea of deixis, David.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deixis

I speak British English (standard southern, slightly dated).
Topic: (The) English (Countable and Uncountable Nouns)
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:39:26 AM
Once again, this site is suffering from the absence of moderators. By the time they do finally step in, the atmosphere will have been poisoned for a time. I really cannot understand why Farlex allows its name to be associated with this sort of thing.

Topic: Sorry for/about
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:21:56 AM
Romany wrote:
Utterly agree with both of you: - yes, Thar explained it well; but, like JJ I don't use either. I too say "Sorry I'm late."

At the time of my late arrival, I would, like Rom, say only "Sorry I'm late".

When talking about this later, I might say, in descending order of likelihood, "Sorry I was late", "Sorry about being late", "Sorry for being late".

Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:18:12 AM
A cooperator wrote:
w
I am back to this creature called as Koh Eliane, the Fy's servant. Why the hell was she interferring in my thread and defending for Fy? Has that old, old, old man been her own lover, to whom she have been giveing him her body away before marriage, in return he will answer her questions here?

Could we perhaps get back in this forum to discussing grammar rather than indulging in extremely unpleasant personal attacks?

To that end, I have underlined some of the errors you made that you might care to think about.

Topic: what word I can use before "adverb".
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 9:07:36 AM
thar wrote:
(That is fyf's term, and I haven't seen it before but it does express well the idea of time having passed).

'Distanced' and 'remote' are terms I use, but I was far from the first. Martin Joos in The English Verb, Form and Meanings (1964.121) writes "The unmaked [= traditional present] will be called actual and the marked one [= traditional past] remote". The idea of remoteness is also important to Michael Lewis in The English Verb - An Exploration of Structure and Meaning (1986) and to George Yule in Explaining Grammar (1998.58-62) . I can't remember where I first came across 'distanced' used in this way.

I don't think I have used these terms of the adverbs mentioned in this thread - my area of interest is tense - but I probably would if I felt the need for a label.

Topic: what's the difference between 'went crazy' and 'went nuts'?
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 8:39:28 AM
In this very informal style, I see no significant difference.

Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 6:24:09 AM
Have a nice day.

Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:45:32 PM
Helenej wrote:

Actually I don't mind that. On the contrary, I am always grateful for correcting my mistakes. What is interesting, in replying learners, you only start correcting their mistakes when you are arguing with them and get angry with them.

This is simply not true. I correct mistakes whenever I see them.

And I do not get angry with learners. I sometimes get frustrated, and accept that I show it, with the tiny minority of people who, despite all our serious efforts to help them, become quite rude when they refuse to accept our suggestions and continue to make the same mistakes.

Quote:
This shows that you only do it when you want to annoy or infuriate your opponent, to make them nervous, with that result that they become making more mistakes, which you have the opportunity to generously correct.

I have to admit that I do sometimes get frustrated, and show it, when you make claims such as this about me. I do not always agree with points other members make, just as other members sometimes do not agree with my views - one of the great things about a forum is that we can discuss things, but I don't have 'opponents' here. I certainly have no desire to annoy or infuriate anyone. It is more than a little presumptuous of you to claim that I do.

Topic: is or are
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:31:35 PM

H & P did not say that 'is' is not correct. Indeed, they stated explicitly 'the verb can be singular as well as plural'.

Topic: Which is correct to say?
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:27:33 PM
Coast Daze wrote:
"I peed my pants" or "I peed in my pants".

I, personally, would use neither. If I were to use one, I would probably not use 'in'. On the one occasion that this happened to me as an adult (desperately half-running, half hobbling to a public convenience, I fell over and lost control of my overfull bladder), I confessed to my friends that I had 'wet myself'.

At 0.26 in this clip, Julia Roberts does not use 'in'

Quote:
"That comedian was so funny I peed my pants."

In that context, in which we do not actually pass urine, I would be cruder and say "... I pissed myself".

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.