Statistics
Number of Posts: 19
[0.00% of all post / 0.95 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: In accord with nature
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2017 4:09:26 PM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Faroe Islands

They look beautiful, but that moist and wet conditions plus organic matter – doesn’t it make mould more likely to develop? Just curious. I can sometimes spot a house all overgrown by greenery, and I am very curious what does it look inside?

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Weird grammar rules
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:59:50 PM
[It] don't matter, instead of it doesn't ...

Ya wanna go?

I often come across grammatical inaccuracy in spoken English (especially those who tend to speak fast are particularly quality here, in my opinion. Also I have noticed that in different areas of the UK spoken English varies, and even though is not grammatically correct is often pleasing the ear.)

Some of them don't bother me at all, some make me cringe. Some of them I find more natural and, must admit, prefer to RP.

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Topic: For fans of Joseph Conrad
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 4:30:09 PM
TheParser wrote:

In 1911, he wrote to a friend:

"My first English reading was the Standard newspaper ... and my first acquaintance by the ear with it was in the speech of fishermen, shipwrights and sailors of the East Coast. But in 1880 I had mastered the language sufficiently to pass the first examination for officers in the merchant marine. ... But 'mastered' is not the right word; I should have said 'acquired.' I've never opened an English grammar in my life."

Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1957 print edition.

I find it very interesting and intriguing what he wrote here. Having read some of his books, I must admit I was thinking how gifted he must had been for languages... .

It is amazing how the English language can still inspire to write in this very language (difficult language, unless one has been fortunate enough to live in the UK since their childhood) -- the Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 went to Japanese born writer! (Personally, I am thrilled with the choice.)

Topic: be in bad with (someone)
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 4:00:02 PM
Very happy to learn this new idiom, but I wonder, how many people have misread the word bad or pronounced it incorrectly? Not being fluent in spoken English, I will steer clear of using it. :)

Topic: What the hell, Chicago?
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 3:31:44 PM
(Topic stolen from Idiom of the Day)

Should I be just consistent, follow a style ... or I should cap the word Hell when use as a proper noun?

Topic: Veterans Day
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:19:40 AM
Which is correct:

Veterans Day,
Veteran's Day,
Veterans' Day?

Topic: Well rounded
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 4:24:08 PM
What comes to your mind when you hear it?

I often want to describe someone as a skilled person saying “well rounded”, but avoid the phrase not to be misunderstood, offend anyone or create an awkward situation. I like the definition, but always anxious I might be misunderstood and rarely use it as a result -- sometimes just don't want to elaborate and simply sum a person up in a short way. Think

Topic: Anyone can tell the truth, but only very few of us can make epigrams.
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:11:21 PM
What is truth? said jesting Pilate; and would not stay for an answer.
Francis Bacon

Topic: you could hear the grass grow(ing)
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:55:26 PM
“Put your head down to the ground
And listen to your mind
If you can't spell what you found
I know that you're not my kind

I can hear the grass grow”

The Move (1968)

Topic: AI
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 9:04:59 AM
towan52 wrote:
From the agricultural community, where "AI" indicates "Artificial Insemination", a whole new perspective gets opened up! Whistle

Vets might be in greater demand in future than software guys, then.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.