Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 32
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Yes, sir.
Posted: Saturday, November 2, 2019 10:57:06 PM
What’s a Portuguese equivalent to the military phrase “Yes, sir!”?

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Deserve for collective nouns
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 2:00:09 AM
Our staff deserve ...? (People)

or

Our staff deserves ...? (Everyone)

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Topic: Up Yours, Caesar!
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 3:10:23 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
cheekyme 🎭 wrote:
I totally agree, but … weren’t the bloody Viking raids far worse than the Roman rules? Have Britons ever before suffer that much? After Romans arrived, they would often mix with locals, trade etc. Perhaps the underfloor heating was not a thing for the local tribes, but taking dirty water away, since Romans liked cleanness, was quite a beneficial achievement. Anglo-Saxons were just farmers. Up Yours, Caesar! We now have our muddy tracks back?

No the Viking raids were no where near as bloody as the Roman conquest of Britain, in one battle alone the defeat of Boudica it is claimed there were 80,000 dead tribal people no Viking raid came close to that. The Druids were the priestly class of the Brythonic people in Britain and the Romans wiped them out, the Vikings raided churches but never killed every Christian priest in the lands of Britain.

That is true, I guess, but the Vikings would normally show less mercy during their raids, I believe. I am not so sure about sparing women living under vows, but I will look into it. As far as I know, but I may be wrong, the Vikings were not interested in taking prisoners and could be extremely brutal in torturing people.

PS. Druids were not that quick to build roads, were they or places to spend a penny.

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 2:42:29 AM
taurine wrote:
Maybe it has actually nothing to do with Roman Empire at all. There is a cocktail called a Caesar (or, Bloody Caesar, if you prefer). It contains Worcestershire sauce...

Were I king, I should cut off the nobles for their lands;
And my more having would be as a sauce
To make me hunger more.
-Shakespeare.

A certain Swift wrote a little more mildly while considering a sauce, namely, 'Fine oranges, sauce for your veal,
Are charming when squeezed in a pot of brown ale.'

In the result, the phrase 'Up Yours, Caesar' can be used while raising up a toast drinking a cocktail.

I do like the idea of the toast; perhaps not to wish somebody the best of luck, though. On the other hand, it might be an excellent justification for a good laugh, and to clink glasses of course. Might go well with Caesar salad too, but this Caesar was a Mexican citizen, so maybe not after all.

Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2019 3:25:06 PM
I totally agree, but … weren’t the bloody Viking raids far worse than the Roman rules? Have Britons ever before suffer that much? After Romans arrived, they would often mix with locals, trade etc. Perhaps the underfloor heating was not a thing for the local tribes, but taking dirty water away, since Romans liked cleanness, was quite a beneficial achievement. Anglo-Saxons were just farmers. Up Yours, Caesar! We now have our muddy tracks back?

Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2019 2:24:49 PM
I can understand the phrase, but why …? Why would anyone want to bid the Romans such a bitter farewell? Where does this idiom come from? When they left a chaos began ....

Topic: English language games
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 1:18:21 PM
Are there any more games for multiplayers here on the site? I know the WordHub and Spelling Bee. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Topic: Pre-registration vs Pre-Registration ...
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:02:22 AM
I have seen on various badges: Pre-Registration (Professional), then name ..., but is it alright to cap R in Registration?

Topic: Penpalling
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 8:54:40 AM
I have a pen pal.

I am:

1. pen palling
2. pen-palling
3. penpalling?

Topic: "is ... be"
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:59:35 PM
From Grammar Quiz:

“When is a semicolon be used to divide elements in a list?”

Is the above sentence grammatically correct?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.