Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 1.20 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: relative
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 5:42:17 PM
Relative = "considered in relation or in proportion to something else."

So the statement is considering how important natural talent and training is in relation and proportion to other aspects i.e. practice.
Topic: gawp and gawk
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 4:04:17 PM
Same definition in dictionary although I believe the Americans tend to favour gawk, whilst the Brits ( at least around here) use gawp.
Topic: if
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 7:46:27 PM
Hello spring roll,
Yes you are right;
"Is it to show that he knew the other 2 cats very well that he was sure they would definitely brag about the big event?"

Very common British idiom that is only used when you do know someone well enough to make the statement.

"If I know Bill, he will be down the pub having a pint to celebrate his new job."
Topic: ...replied, “the bowl has to be washed anyway.”
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 12:55:27 PM
Yes, the comma is correct after replied.
Yes, it should be a capital, after all it is a stand alone sentence.
The full stop is okay inside the quote marks. Us Brits use to have it outside, and you may often find it there in older books and publications. Nowadays, it is taught to put it inside which puts us inline with American writing and makes it more standard.
Topic: by
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 9:20:17 AM
Definition of 'by no means'
English: by no meansExample sentencesComments
by no means in British
or not by any means
on no account; in no way

It is a popular phrase. Here it means that although her disorder is rare, others do suffer from it.

i.e> Although Jane's disorder is rare, she is not alone in suffering from it.

"He is by no means a rich man." = He is poor, on no account is he rich.
"She was by no means a beauty, but she was a very good actress." = She is not pretty, on no account was she beautiful.
Topic: have you yet/ haven't you yet
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 1:55:50 PM
Yet comes at the end on your sentence.
"Haven't you cleaned the house yet?"

Wordweb Adverb; Used in negative statement to describe a situation that has existed up to this point or up to the present time;
"the sun isn't up yet"; "as yet he hasn't called"

Topic: the word order
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:37:54 PM
Both are a bit unclear. Do you mean there is a gap between a city and a rural area, or do you mean the rural area IS the gap between cities. If so then;

"The more the regions become inhabited, the smaller becomes the rural gap between big cities."
Topic: what stands to me now
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:04:12 PM
View Full Version : That’s what stands to me now

Xinfu
April 22, 2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.epubbooks.com/book/618/dubliners

“That’s my principle, too,” said my uncle. “Let him learn to box his corner. That’s what I’m always saying to that Rosicrucian there: take exercise. Why, when I was a nipper every morning of my life I had a cold bath, winter and summer. And that’s what stands to me now. Education is all very fine and large…. Mr. Cotter might take a pick of that leg mutton,” he added to my aunt.
“No, no, not for me,” said old Cotter.
My aunt brought the dish from the safe and put it on the table.
“But why do you think it’s not good for children, Mr. Cotter?” she asked.
“It’s bad for children,” said old Cotter, “because their minds are so impressionable. When children see things like that, you know, it has an effect….”

Do the red words mean 1. that is still important to me and 2.I don't want leg mutton?
poli
April 22, 2014, 02:43 PM
Not for me means for me, no.
Leg mutton is wrong. Leg of mutton is what's meant here.
Xinfu
April 22, 2014, 10:58 PM
Thank you~

But what does 'that’s what stands to me now. ' mean?
Rusty
April 23, 2014, 04:47 AM
He still maintains that having a cold bath is good for you.
poli
April 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
Please understand that James Joyce's use of English is not standard or commonly spoken. It is worth reading.
Xinfu
April 23, 2014, 08:14 AM
Thank you~
Topic: I want to pin on your shirt.
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 4:38:12 AM
Pin used as a verb= "To hold fast or prevent from moving" and "Attach or fasten with pins or as if with pins"
So you could say;
I am going to pin it on your shirt. (it being the peg) as pjharvey said but there are other ways...
I am going to fasten this peg to your shirt.
I am going to attach this peg to your shirt.

SRIRR, the word peg can be used as a verb as well as a noun. Peg =Fasten or secure with a wooden pin.

I am going to peg the shirt to the line.
Nobody would say I am going to fasten your shirt with a peg, but if they did. That would be a good enough way to say it.
Topic: much chance/ much of a chance [of + gerund] / infinitive
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:53:35 AM
Much can be used as an adjective or an adverb.
In the way you are using it "Much" does not mean bigger. It is an adverb meaning 'To a very great degree or extent'
For Example... "We enjoyed ourselves very much."
"He asked for much more money than he was entitled."

English is great as a language to express just the right meaning to your writing or speech but it is a pig in the sense that there are so many correct ways to say the same thing.

I hope this post has much improved your understanding.
I hope You understand much more than you did before this post.
There is so much more to using the phrases "Not much. much more."

Your sentences;
Wouldn't it be better to say: You don't have a big chance of ... OR You don't have much of a chance of ... OR You don't have much chance of...
are fine except for the first one. It is correct in its grammar but it is awkward sounding and would not be used in the UK, the second or third sentence would.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.