Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 38
[0.00% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: To / in
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:47:44 AM
The to is preferred in the context, otherwise the same.
It emphasizes that there is a movement in and then out of the city. Obviously if you travelled to Istanbul then it is assumed that you have been inside town.

Modern life makes it more complicated. I have taken flights to Stockholm [the airport (actually called Arlanda)] while never been [stayed] in Stockholm [the city]
In some languages the difference would be expressed with dative, and accusative - which doesn't exist in Modern English.
Topic: Er lyden for "synspunkt" riktig?
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:56:00 PM
helt riktig. Synes jeg hører "Fire" altså firetallet ikke det å senke flagget eller lignende-
Topic: I would rather be a freeman among slaves than a slave among freemen.
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 4:11:38 AM
Bully_rus wrote:
Both cases are imaginary, but, yes, the first one is preferable, because it gives more opportunity for advancement…

I disagree. The first gives you autodetermination.
A slave is a slave, at the whim of the master.
Topic: Advice for learning English Vocabulary
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 6:44:21 PM
Hi,
Speaking the language is obviously the easiest way to learn the everyday vocabulary that everyone needs.
Obviously, when speaking you have no time to be fancy, and it is super-easy to say something that is completely corny. That's the way it is.

for a written source to common everyday language, I usually recommend reading crime novels, instead of "high literature". Some terms are hopefully not needed - such as knowing crack, meth, coke.

Good luck.
Topic: Loss of grounding
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 8:02:38 AM
May I add a tiny warning: in other contexts - like electrical engineering the term loss of grounding can mean something else.
[I just add this for readers who encounter the expression and who may think it has only one meaning].
Topic: are both questions correct?
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 3:41:54 AM
To haggle is also synonymous with to bargain.

Argue is a much more one-sided affair, and assumes that you can reason with the opponent.
Bargain/Haggle very often ends in just quoting numbers that may converge to the sales price.
Topic: Is "her" redundant?
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:40:50 AM
There are the following alternatives - I add comments
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- It may not be clear (in English) if her refers to Zhou or Zhou's mother-in-law. However, if you omit it :
Quote:
Before Zhou left for home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- one would assume that home is Zhou's home, and the quarrel is between two women.
Alternatively:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her own home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- then it is obviously a quarrel between mother-in-law and Zhou occurring at mother-law's house.
Even clearer if it was spelled out as:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for their home, the pair had quarrelled over household matters
- where their refers explicitly to a piece of property jointly owned.

My conclusion is that her does not add clarity as to which female character in this drama it refers to. If this was a case of domestic trouble, prior to visiting mother-in-law, then it is best to spell it all out:
Quote:
Before Zhou left for her mother-in-law's home, the pair had quarrelled over household matter

Topic: The Iron Pillar
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2019 4:32:47 AM
Quote:
There is a popular 'tradition' that it was considered good luck if one could stand with one's back to the pillar and make one's hands meet behind it.

My father used to be 187 (shortened with age) and had no problems to do this, but he said the column was narrower at that level. Indians being mostly shorter are thus handicapped when performed that test on their luck.
Topic: Synonyms of "without haste"
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 10:32:09 PM
you could also start with one synonyme such as https://www.thefreedictionary.com/leisurely.
and then look up in the thesaurus
<!--Graphic Thesaurus by FreeThesaurus.com-->
<style>.cc,.cc1,.cc2,.cc3,.cc4{stroke:#000;stroke-width:1}.cc1{fill:#fff}.cc2{fill:#238b68}.cc3{fill:red}.cc4{stroke-dasharray:5,3;fill:gray}.cc{fill:#fff}.vt-link{cursor:pointer;fill:#2484c6}</style>
<script src="//img.tfd.com/thes/vt-min.js"></script>
<script>var vtDt = {"name":"leisurely","type":0,"children":[{"name":"unhurried","type":1,"children":[{"name":"easy","type":2},{"name":"comfortable","type":2},{"name":"gentle","type":2},{"name":"lazy","type":2},{"name":"laid-back","type":2},{"name":"restful","type":2},{"name":"brisk","type":3},{"name":"hasty","type":3}]},{"name":"unhurriedly","type":1,"children":[{"name":"lazily","type":2},{"name":"at your leisure","type":2,"end":true},{"name":"at your convenience","type":2,"end":true},{"name":"lingeringly","type":2},{"name":"indolently","type":2},{"name":"without haste","type":2,"end":true},{"name":"briskly","type":3},{"name":"hurriedly","type":3}]}]}</script>
<svg width="720px" height="600px" id="vtSvg" viewBox="0 0 600 500" onload="GraphicThesaurus(vtDt)"></svg>
<div>Graphic Thesaurus for &quot;leisurely&quot; provided by <a style="color:#000" href="https://www.freethesaurus.com/leisurely">FreeThesaurus.com</a></div>
<!--End of Graphic Thesaurus by FreeThesaurus.com-->
Topic: FYI - Climategate - How Attitudes Have Changed in the Ten Years Since
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:51:03 PM
I used to be a "climate skeptic" but have changed my mind. Mainly because of occams rule: when explaining chose the simplest model, and not the more complicated.
The climate skeptic can't explain the receding glaciers in my country, the thaw on Spitzberg, and so on.

There is a general problem with scientific proof: it should pass muster of a very rigorous matter, and - the global warming does not quite pass the muster. Proving it is after a disaster, which is a bit late.
Somebody mentioned that "That smoking nicotine causes cancer of the lungs" was not yet proven scientifically. I prefer to consider it proven - and rely on finding by the anatomist Nicolas Tulp, who in the late XVII century pointed out that the amount of tar he observed in the lung of smokers could not be healthy.

Thus: We are observing a global warming. Whether it is human pollution or natural causes is of lesser importance. We have to try to find countermeasures to climate change. One of them might be reduction in CO2 emissions - I would prefer to add Methan (CH4) emission reductions.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.