Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 29
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: FYI - Climategate - How Attitudes Have Changed in the Ten Years Since
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:51:03 PM
I used to be a "climate skeptic" but have changed my mind. Mainly because of occams rule: when explaining chose the simplest model, and not the more complicated.
The climate skeptic can't explain the receding glaciers in my country, the thaw on Spitzberg, and so on.

There is a general problem with scientific proof: it should pass muster of a very rigorous matter, and - the global warming does not quite pass the muster. Proving it is after a disaster, which is a bit late.
Somebody mentioned that "That smoking nicotine causes cancer of the lungs" was not yet proven scientifically. I prefer to consider it proven - and rely on finding by the anatomist Nicolas Tulp, who in the late XVII century pointed out that the amount of tar he observed in the lung of smokers could not be healthy.

Thus: We are observing a global warming. Whether it is human pollution or natural causes is of lesser importance. We have to try to find countermeasures to climate change. One of them might be reduction in CO2 emissions - I would prefer to add Methan (CH4) emission reductions.
Topic: name/call
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 10:40:20 AM
I suppose I can call you nightdream
but I can't name you that, because you call yourself that already.

Thus: in many cases it may be the same: my name is ... , I am called ... .
However to name is usually a as giving a new name
Topic: Eratosthenes and the curvature of the Earth
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 1:27:55 AM
Sun-rays could be assumed to be parallel, as they were definitely above the clouds: The clouds passes in front
the sun is definitely above the moon: the sun is occasionally eclipsed by the moon.
the moon is much closer to the earth than the sun as the shadow of the moon only covers a limited surface , yet its apparent size is about the same as the sun-disk.

Thus - while having no clue about the true size of the solar system ( that was only achieved by measuring the time the transit of Venus takes across the sun-disk (1769)) it was a hypothesis that could be substantiated.
Topic: Unwitting
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2019 7:36:53 AM
Witt - is also consciousness, aka witless for insane, but also mindless. The book has no thoughts for itself, nor
Topic: bear its misshapen brood
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 7:11:35 AM
I suppose you first have to analyse each and every word:
* Brood : the offspring, the child
* misshapen : deformed
* bear : verb meaning to carry (not the noun which is an animal)

Thus: crime has some unwanted and nasty effects

although I will guess that a wordsmith like Oscar Wilde plays upon the dual meaning of bear, the offspring of a bear is usually referred to as a cub
Topic: North of
Posted: Thursday, July 4, 2019 4:33:06 AM
Thank you all
Topic: North of
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:42:28 AM
I understand it implicitly from the context, but it is not recorded as an idiom: "North of" - which seems to mean in the range of
In this article from Los Angeles times : https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-anderson-cooper-gloria-vanderbilt-inheritance-20190702-story.html
I read: When she turned 21, the heiress-socialite-fashion entrepreneur inherited north of $4 million

Is it a common expression? Is it American only ?
Topic: George Frideric Handel's Oratorio Messiah Debuts (1742)
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:01:14 AM
Everyone mention the Halleluja but I am most moved by the He was despised
Topic: $22,000,050,000
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2019 4:28:25 AM
danfam wrote:
Quote:
Hi Bob :

Is it natural to verbalize as "twenty two thousand millions and fifty grands ? "

Thanks

use of grands: lookup Grand on the freedictionary.com
Quote:
2. pl. grand Slang A thousand dollars: sold the car for six grand.

thus never write grands when speaking about thousands of dollars.

So the common and correct way to express this is twenty two billion and fifty thousand dollars.
However, in an international setting, there are issues about naming numbers higher than a million.
It is thus for clarity possible to say
1 000 000 000 = one thousand million = 1 billion
1 000 000 000 000 = one million million = 1 trillion

If you are translating from other languages that use a different root for expressing large numbers - I myself am a native Norwegian, a "billion" has 12 zeros - thus is the same a British/American trillion, while the word trillion has 18 zeroes. It is the same in French.

To avoid these issues the scientists use Mega, Giga, Tera, Peta ... but one cannot use the naming convention for dollars, though it may help to avoid translation problems.
Topic: Should it be 'wife' instead?
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 1:09:35 AM
Yes.
of my wife = my wife's
Thus the sentence as it stood was wrong. However note that it in writing more polite to promote others above yourself, thus it should be
my wife's experiences, and mine

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.