Topic: Moreless
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:34:07 PM
Hi

I wanna know what does it mean? With some examples please
Thanks in advance
Topic: Two tenses combined to talk about something
Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:29:12 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello - I think that the tenses are OK. The sentence/example itself is a bit 'unlikely' - you would never hear someone say something like that - but it is not an error to use the tenses you have used.
I don't think "distract . . . about" works very well.

Here is an example which is a little more 'real'. It is still not a common mixture of tenses, but it works

I've been thinking about the work I'd done before I hired a cleaner.

This has three different time periods shown by the tenses:

1. A did a lot of work.
2. Then I hired a cleaner (so I didn't need to do so much work)
3. Then, recently over a period, I have thought about the work I used to do.

Your sentence has two times, really (plus an unmentioned point in time).

I noticed that they have been writing a lot recently about strange relationships and video games to distract the new readers about what they had written about in the past.

1. They used to write about something (you don't say what) - "what they had written about"
2. Then they stopped writing about that
3. Then they started writing (continuously) about strange relationships and video games.

thanks alot so clear now to me
Topic: Two tenses combined to talk about something
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 6:32:05 PM
Hello

Im trying to use past perfect tense and present perfect continious all togather in one long made up talking that i came up with

I need to know if im right or wrong
The idea is to use past perfect with present perfect continious together to talk about something is it possible ?
This is what i came up with in terms of me talking about something that all made up of my mind in order to practice my english learning and i of course need your help guys with this pls
Heres me talking :

I noticed that they have been writing alot recently about strange relationships and video games to distract the new readers about what they had written about in the past.

Am i using the two tenses or i messed them up. I used had to show that action was completed in the past. And have been writing to show that recently something is happening temperarly. Thanks in advance

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.