Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Axiomatic
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:43:20 PM
Atatürk wrote:
"An approach is a set of correlative assumptions dealing with the nature of language teaching and learning. An approach is axiomatic. It describes the nature of the subject matter to be taught."

What does "axiomatic" mean in the above?

Then we have:

" ... Method is an overall plan for the orderly presentation of language material, no part of which contradicts, and all of which is based upon, the selected approach. An approach is axiomatic, a method is procedural."

Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching, Jack C. Richards, third ed., p. 21.

It means "evident," since the given approach contains information on how to teach language and how to gauge the learning process.
Topic: Veto the clown!
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 4:39:57 PM
It's time to read the Constitution, where it clearly states the president can veto any measure he sees fit. End of discussion.
Topic: Our audience could be provided with a presentation (being) given by one of our best historians
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:24:53 PM
EnglishFanatic92 wrote:
Hello all.

I wonder why it isn't possible (at least that's what I was told) to use "being" in the following sentence. Why is it so? Could you, please, tell me? Thank you!

- Our audience could be provided with a presentation being given by one of our best historians.

The problem is the verb at the beginning is "could," which normally signals a conditional or subjunctive sentence (in this case, conditional). Therefore, to be grammatically correct, the sentence should read like this:

"Our audience could be provided with a presentation from one our best historians."

Simply stated, the "being" is not needed because of the given sentence structure.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.