Number of Posts: 93
[0.01% of all post / 0.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Like a vomit
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:14:01 PM
Joe Kim wrote:
1. I feel like a vomit.
2. I feel like vomiting

Is #1 correct? If so, what does this mean?
Does that mean similar to #2?

The only thing close to the idea of #1 would be "I feel like crap," which would mean you felt so badly (sick, tired, worn out) that you really didn't feel like doing anything. I can only figure maybe you heard #1 but perhaps the speaker said "I feel nauseous" or "I feel nauseated," which would make someone say "I feel like vomiting." Feeling nauseous does not guarantee a person will throw up, but chances are at least 50% they may.
Topic: at or in
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 12:49:35 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
The couple's eight-year-old son and six-year-old daughter are being treated for their injuries at the same hospital, the report said.

Shouldn't it "in" instead?

Thanks.

"at" and "in" are equally interchangeable according to this preposition list found here. (Both are used for a place and even for time.)
Topic: turn to/into
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 12:46:38 AM
For general conclusions about prepositions, check here for future reference.

To employ "for" implies reason or purpose; to use "of" insinuates a connection or origin.

Really the "turn to" or "turn into" by the context of the passage mean the same: both objects transform into a new one.
Topic: in comfortable case
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 7:01:58 PM
lazarius wrote:
Quote:
A street there is in Paris famous,
For which no rhyme our language yields,
Rue Neuve des petits Champs its name is —
The New Street of the Little Fields;
And there’s an inn, not rich and splendid,
But still in comfortable case
The which in youth I oft attended,
To eat a bowl of Bouillabaisse.

Which of the two meanings of the word case does the expression make use of? And what does the expression mean?

I cannot find a meaning by Internet searching nor from using the online dictionary here for "comfortable case," but the more I look at it, the word "case" appears to be added only so that line will rhyme with "bouillabaisse." So disregard the word "case," as the context shows "comfortable" refers to "an inn, not rich and splendid": the inn was not a fancy place, but it was comfortable to stay at.
Topic: Punctuation
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 2:19:28 AM
I want to say that the "and just like us" appears to function as an appositive phrase in the sentence although it varies a bit in its structure from the examples given here. However, it is set off by two commas to begin and end the phrase, and could be removed without harming the meaning or taking away from the meaning of the sentence (if it were an appositive phrase, it would be considered "non-restrictive").
Topic: A drizzle
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:47:34 AM
Joe Kim wrote:
You say:
This is rain/drizzle.
It's raining/drizzling.

But, why
It's rain and it's a drizzle?

Why do you think drizzle be countable ?

Just to answer and make the difference 100% clear on when you use rain and drizzle: rain is (as a poster put it) when you have raindrops and the speed of them falling is unimportant: it may be classified as a "light rain," a "soaking rain," a "hard rain" or a "gentle rain." If it rains, there will be measurable precipitation, it will soak into the ground and there will be some runoff depending on how long and how much it rains. However, when it drizzles, that can be far closer to mist or misting, but this will not generally produce measurable precipitation.
Topic: Wandering without a destination through the streets
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:34:14 AM
Nikitus wrote:
Hello.

First of all, thanks for all your help and time!

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Wandering without a destination through the streets, with his eyes lost, immersed in his chaotic and contradictory thoughts, Tim walked with his backpack and his amulet around his neck, for three blocks, on his birthday, to then move on to the other, which he had determined almost as a sign from the gods of Olympus that it would be part of his offering ritual. When he crossed the street, a young man gave him a flyer. SAM stops, and looked at the boy."

Thanks.

The first sentence is too long. It should be reworded something like this:

"Wandering the streets with lost eyes while immersed in his chaotic and contradictory thoughts, Tim walked with his backpack and amulet around his neck for three blocks; it was his birthday and he moved from one street to another, thinking it a sign from the gods of Olympus that this would be part of his offering. When he crossed the street, a young man gave him a flyer. Sam stopped and looked at the boy."
Topic: "If" or "whether"
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:27:40 AM
palapaguy wrote:
"I want to know if the below is correct."

Is this common form correct? It implies (to me) that I want to know only if the below is correct. Otherwise, I don't want to know.

I think it should be "I want to know whether (meaning if or not) the below is correct."

Am I correct?

You can use either sentence: the first one you list in italics or the last one. Both are correct. You could say a third option which would be this:

"I want to know whether or not the below is correct."
Topic: churn
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 2:16:15 AM
teachersalah wrote:
I have just read this in columbus dispatch for an article about the disabilities center.

Adults and children with disabilities become frustrated, confused or upset at the churn of names and faces and routines.
can someome explain to me what does the word chur n means here?

Here is the definition.

The original poster is spot on, but also the repeated nature of this action needs emphasizing, as one churns milk into cream and then butter, which implies an ever heavier product--which then implies far more effort to do the same task.
Topic: Waiver
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 3:44:51 PM
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
What does " waiver " exactly mean here?

"The group has begun to suspend its joint venture activities, to comply with U.S. law by Aug. 6," PSA said in a statement on Monday. "With the support of the French government, the Groupe PSA is engaging with the U.S. authorities to consider a waiver."

Source:
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180604/ANE/180609893?template=mobile02&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

Does it mean that PSA is engaging with US authorities to find a way to resume its activities in Iran and escape from US sanctions?

A waiver is obtained so that someone does not have to be obligated to follow the same process or procedures as someone else. It is a kind of exclusion.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.