https://ahdictionary.com/application/resources/wavs/C0634000.wav

I wrote 'coquette' and it was 'coquet':

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=coquet

Quote:
co·quet (kō-kĕt)

intr.v. co·quet·ted, co·quet·ting, co·quets
1. To engage in coquetry; flirt.
2. To trifle; dally.

Why doesn't it follow the familiar pattern as in 'croquet', 'crochet'?

I did a fair amount of boolean searches and only found ones that were partially helpful. The difference with "coquet" and "coquette" appears similar to "blond" (male) and "blonde" for a female; both derive from French.

I found no definite article with "coquet" as I could with "blond vs. blonde," however.
Topic: Do you want the cooking
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:25:43 PM
Joe Kim wrote:
You have house chores like cooking, mopping, and cleaning. And you are asking someone to choose which chore he want to do.

Do you want the cooking or cleaning?

Is this correct?

One would say "do you want cooking or cleaning?" or one could say "do you want to cook or to clean?" Many times like in this instance the definite article proves unneeded.

You effectively omit "the" since both cooking & cleaning are considered "uncountable nouns," or nouns that can't be divided into quantities; see the explanation and examples here.
Topic: You are banned to come in
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:23:51 PM
Joe Kim wrote:
1. You will be banned to come in. (This room)
2. You will be banned from coming in.

Which sentence is correct?

#2, although the sentence of "you will be banned" would suffice since banning means entry into a place is prohibited by the establishment, manager, etc., and one can be arrested by police if one violates that ban.
Topic: Daddy's hair is fluffy
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:29:07 PM
The "context" refers to the word being correct and the correct context is hair styling, as given by the picture. The OP never said "is this correct for a non-native baby to say," but rather "is this correct?" Big difference--not unlike the difference between Eddie Van Halen modifying a Kramer guitar and then Eddie designing a guitar with Ernie Ball--it changed everything from the pickups, the body...you name it.

The OP had nothing to do with "which is better," such as in the difference between "shading" and "value" in art: ask any art teacher and you'll get a very definite answer that both are not the same. By the above reasoning, both these terms are correct--but a huge chasm separates them.
Topic: leading classes
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 11:17:05 PM
but "leading classes" how? Think about it: my mind naturally asks for an adverb or adverbial phrase to complete the thought.

When you teach classes (lead them), there are so many ways to do it: lecture, guided practice, student-led small groups, mini lectures, guided project-based learning...there are many possibilities--which is why I said it seemed someone truncated the sentence based on what I stated above.
Topic: phrasal verb or idiom
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:39:33 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Could phrasal verbs be called idioms? Because an idiom is simply a phrase/expression whose meaning is not understandable by considering the sum of the ordinary meanings of the individual words of that expression. Based on this assumption one could say 'call off' is an idiom.

I had the same discussion with my friend; I said 'call of' is a phrasal verb in the first place and if used in a sentence it would be idiomatic English. But he said 'call of' is an idiom for the same reason given above.

Now my question is that would you call phrasal verbs 'idioms' for any reason or from any point of view?

An idiom simply means one cannot translate the phrase literally, as in "to call into question," which means to raise doubts about an issue; you obviously can't "call into" a question since "call into" means to dial a number to a specific place where a person answers the phone.

You must mean "call off," and that is most definitely a phrasal verb. See below:

Phrasal Verbs:

[....]

call off
1. To cancel or postpone: call off a trip; called the trip off.
2. To restrain or recall: Call off your dogs.

In other words, think of phrasal verbs (see explanation here) as the specific example and the idiom as the governing class to which a phrasal verb belongs.
Topic: leading classes
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 7:33:51 PM
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

What does 'leading classes' mean in this context?

They will participate in workshops and get hands-on experience leading classes.

Honestly, this sounds like someone truncated the sentence because I was expecting much more.

Taking it on face value, "leading classes" appears to mean the participants will get hands-on experience by "leading" the classes they are in by making the presentations of the necessary content--perhaps by dividing up the work into small groups.
Topic: Daddy's hair is fluffy
Posted: Sunday, August 13, 2017 12:20:19 AM
I nearly forgot the other term: when they backcomb to give hair on a lady more volume, they "tease" it.
Topic: don't or didn't have enough accounting experience
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 11:06:43 PM
robjen wrote:
Last month, I had an interview for an accounting job. Three weeks ago, they called and told me that they decided not to hire me. This is what I said to my friend about their decision.

(ex) I say to Wilson, "They didn't hire me because I didn't have or I don't have enough accounting experience."

I think I should say "I don't have" because I still don't have enough experience. My friend said I should
say "I didn't have" because my sentence refers to a past time.

Please give me your opinion. Thanks a lot.

In this case, maintaining parallel structure requires one to use "They didn't hire me because I didn't have enough accounting experience."

The first verb is in past tense and the other should match it and therefore be in past tense. Here are some examples of this:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/01/
Topic: age
Posted: Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:57:49 PM
"Although it is common for parents these days to place their children that are pre-school age into childcare centres, some people criticise this and argue that children will receive a better level of care from relatives such as grandparents."

"age" is a noun and "preschool" serves to modify it, so that is an adjective; "at" before preschool is not required.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.