Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 150
[0.02% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Is ‘thereafter’ correctly used?
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2019 3:08:09 AM
Look at the following edit;

After the operation to remove the lump in my breast, I was bedridden for the next couple of days. I returned to school thereafter only.

Just because the writer of an article is British doesn't mean that they use English correctly-DragOnspeaker.
Topic: S plural
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:56:37 PM
The plural of fruit is, of course, fruits - IF you are talking about a collection of more than one KIND of fruit (for instance, apples, oranges and pears).

However, if you are talking about a large number of all the same sort of fruit (a pile of apples) then one of the apples is a fruit, and all of the apples together are also ‘fruit’.

‘Fruit’ is - or sometime is - a collective noun.

Just because the writer of an article is British doesn't mean that they use English correctly-DragOnspeaker.
Topic: Is '10- or 20-years' correct?
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:52:18 PM
Not much difference in may or might.
It suggests possibility.

Topic: Are the phrase and word correctly used?
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:48:47 PM
Bedridden is also used for a patient who has been advised by the doctor to stay in bed for fast or easy recovery of disease.

Topic: Is 'being retrieved' correctly used?
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:43:24 PM
Extrication ( disengage, disentangle, free, liberate, release, untangle. Words Related to extricate.) is better word as far as language is concerned.

Topic: taking a shower v showering
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 12:35:30 PM
Taking a shower is right.
While showering gives a hint that you were showering somebody else.

Topic: Rephrasing
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 1:12:18 AM
NKM wrote

Thus the sentence should be something like:
 He will appear in court on Wednesday (May 29) on a charge of committing an obscene act in a public place.
IMO that's right.

The second sentence should be

If convicted, he may face up to three months' in jail and a fine.

Topic: Abbreviation
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2019 1:03:10 AM
Its akin to

Dot your 'i's and cross your 't's.

Topic: Do Black Holes die?
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:36:03 AM
Every poster is right as on date.

Topic: Overweight
Posted: Thursday, May 2, 2019 11:26:10 AM
'More' is redundant here. My opinion.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.