User Name: C185445
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 19
[0.00% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: French government considers state of emergency over ‘gilets jaunes’ protests
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:58:18 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I agree basically.

Globalisation and the attempt to produce one world government (or maybe three or four Super-nations) doesn't work - except to make the already-rich richer.

Britain (and I think France - though I wasn't really looking at the time) were doing WELL in the early 1970s. There was a 'free-trade-area' of the main sixteen countries of Europe (EEC - European Economic Community) and a further, connected free-trade area (Scandinavia and some other neighbouring countries, EFTA, the European Free-Trade Association).
Travel back and forth was very easy (not totally unlimited as if we were all one country, but very easy).
The balance of trade was increasing, gross national product increasing, unemployment at about 750,000 and steady. There were ups & downs but the trends were OK.
Then the UK population were tricked into joining the United States of Europe with a Federal government in Brussels (the referendum question was worded so that it seemed we voted to stay in the free-trade association, not voted to be taken over politically).

Since then, things have trended down, prices up, inflation up, unemployment soared, companies moved to other countries.
The rich 1% to 10% get richer, not in ratio to any production, but in ratio to the amount of money they inherit.
The number of people technically living "in poverty" in the UK is ridiculous for a country producing £42,000 per person (from babies to pensioners) per year.

I agree partially that in some ways we're worse now than in the past. Globalization and capitalism have clearly incoveniences. My parents bought a flat with the salary of three years and a bit of savings. Now this is very unusual.

But I think this argument is usually used in a distorted way. I partially blame politicians about this for polarizing the population to influence the electorate.

For instance, the level of employment in the UK is at record high NOW with 75.6% of the population employed:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/employment-rate-remains-at-record-high

You said the balance of trade in the UK was increasing in the 1970's. Ok, but in the last 10 years it has been improving actually too:
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/balance-of-trade

If it got "worse" at some point is because the UK decided to go for the financial sector and focused more on exporting services (usually not reflected on balances of trade) while its population with higher purchasing power is buying more and thus having an effect on the balance of trade. But again, it's true also that the UK has never seen as many British working as now, and the degree of employment I mentioned early is a solid proof of that.

Also, I wouldn't blame too much globalization or the "United States of Europe" for the things individual nations did to theirselves.

The UK went on Quantitative Easing a lot earlier than the European Central Bank. The UK mishandled its industrial belt on its own. The property bubble in London responds mostly to decisions carried out by the British. French are demanding changes about things that were wrongly decided by French politicians. Italy has been stagnant long before it joined the Euro. Spain used to solve everything by devaulating its own currency which didn't solve anything long term. There are simply a lot of examples about this.

However I understand politicians of certain spheres cannot use complicated arguments and instead opt for grandsanding arguments to influence their electorate, such as blaming the EU, China or videogames for everything.
Topic: Word in word glitch today Oct. 18, 2018
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 6:55:52 AM
TFD wrote:
The issue has been fixed. Please refresh the page and try entering the words again.

Thanks for your time! Applause
Topic: Word in word glitch today Oct. 18, 2018
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 7:08:23 AM
Yeah, WordHub game doesn't work for me either. The forum hasn't worked for a few hours either up until now, hopefully as the forum is back so is this game.
Topic: Revolutions are usually accompanied by a considerable effusion of blood, but are accounted worth it—this appraisement being...
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:00:30 AM
Sheer human nature...
Topic: Today we celebrate the melting pot.
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 8:11:09 AM
I think one can still celebrate such day and perform a modern perspective around the celebration without falling into obliviousness about problems. But to each his or her own if some don't want to celebrate the Fourth of July because of social justice.
Topic: Why socks?
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:14:33 AM
Here in Spain in summer a lot of people don't use socks when they wear sneakers. I personally don't like that practice because I don't like to feel the friction of my shoe directly all over the skin of my feet. Also, as others have said already, feet sweat (and not just in summer, when it's cold outside they do sweat a bit as well even if you don't notice it), so without shocks I personally would feel the need of washing my shoes with every use even in winter because of sweat.

What I don't like and I don't wear often: underpants (minus when I'm at work). If you are clean (I always poop before taking my shower, never after) there is not need to use them. In contrast to the other case, washing your pants is not as problematic as washing your shoes.
On the other hand I want that freedom for my balls as often as it's possible. Dancing
Topic: Today we celebrate the melting pot.
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:53:23 AM
It's really interesting from an European point of view. Most of our nations sent at some point some cultural wave to North America. Now, it's the USA which is sending us back a very strong cultural wave. This is not a common phenomenon with our other former colonies.

It's hard not to have a sense of familiarity with the USA here because of that, so I internally celebrate The Fourth of July anyway even if I'm not American.

Topic: Words Within Words 100% Club
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:35:53 AM
NeuroticHellFem wrote:

Well thanks, C185445, for getting our points increased. It was mentioned on various forum threads long ago about the inequity of getting 3 points for the second-last word, then only 1 point for the final word. It's nice to finally see an increase.

As for the gold WWW 100% badge, it's the number of wins, not points earned while playing WWW. Getting 100% of a word containing 300 words is the same as scoring 100% for a word containing 10 words, so concentrate on the smaller ones.

Good luck!

Thanks, it's good to know. I performed the majority of my runs with the previous system which granted fewer points so I'm glad it's wins what matters for such achievement!

As for concentrating on smaller words, I see your point and I actually did that right from the start already, as regardless of the points gathered, trying to get 100% out of the larger words is simply too difficult and slow for me at the moment. Perhaps once I get the 100% gold achievement I'll try to get 100% out of the larger ones just for fun. :)

Cheers and thank you!
Topic: Book-Man: The new game from The Free Dictionary
Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 6:44:26 AM
Mike-KS wrote:
Thank you for your suggestion. Now you can turn off the Book-Man leaderboard in Settings.

You rock man. Applause (sorry for the late thanks)
Topic: Words Within Words 100% Club
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:31:45 AM
Yeah NeuroticHellFem, actually I reported an issue I was having with it few days ago and it seems that might have triggered admins to notice a bug with the points sistem in Words Within Words game. I take from Mike-KS's words in that thread that now it works as they intended at first. It didn't make sense to just get 15 points just once and then only 1 for such difficult task. They kindly fixed that.

I'm also very happy because I'm trying to get the Words Within Words 100% Club gold achievement (I see you got it in 2015!), although I'm not sure if it's points or wins what matters the most to accomplish such feat.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.