Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 97
[0.01% of all post / 0.15 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Tupac Amaru II
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 8:15:37 PM
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
So stories of Spanish brutalities against Indigenous Americans are not a legend or "Black Legend", are they?

You don't seem to know what the Black Legend is as it doesn't deny that brutalities were performed. They released an article recently here, you should read it.

The Black Legend simply denies the scope and stent of which some things are attributed to the Spaniards. That doesn't mean that brutalities were not performed, they happen with every invasion. But it's revealing many of the things said by the media and other world powers demonizing the Spaniards, were doing the very same things there where they had colonies (as the Dutch or the British). It's very naive to believe they were being objective when they were doing the same brutalities too.

It's very simplistic and shallow to deny the Black Legend as you did, things aren't that simple but to each their own.

Topic: Asanha Bucha Day
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:41:44 AM
It's very telling that most religions have a period of fasting, I think it reveals what religions were designed for... Can't believe they are still a thing at this age.
Topic: Captain Obvious
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 6:05:07 AM
Captain obvious meaning is quite obvious actually.
Topic: The Black Legend
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 7:19:57 AM
I found interesting already as a kid how in Pocahontas movie the Spaniards were evil and ruthless while the British were cute and nice. Ridiculous interpretations as this cannot be anything but a direct inheritance of such Black Legend.

ChristopherJohnson wrote:
I would not call this exaggeration. Mezoamerican and South Amcrican Native civilizations were effectively annihilated and the population was forcibly converted to Christianity. These are historical facts.

Yet the native American populations in the area are still today factually bigger and actually more relevant in comparison to North America, so how were then "effectively annihilated"? Sure the lands in Central America were a lot more populated but the truth remains that even today countries such as Mexico or Nicaragua have a large and fundamental influence by their indigenous cultures. This doesn't happen in the USA where British effectively conquered by killing and outplacing.

See that's the issue here. The article isn't questioning that the Spaniards did bad things, BECAUSE IT'S TRUE SPAIN DID BAD THINGS THERE (using capital letters for clarification).

But the stent in which the events happened have been greatly exaggerated, and thus why we can see inconsistencies of the sort as the one you mentioned.

Problem I find when discussing this on Internet is that a lot of people -even though clarifications were made- will take these words as that I'm claiming Spain was innocent and did nothing wrong. To each their own but I'll never stop from questioning things and hope some of you don't either.
Topic: Imhotep
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 2:41:57 PM
Too bad he couldn't beat Brendan Fraser. I rooted for him!
Topic: European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) Formed (2000)
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 4:20:38 PM
Who would have thought it that some day Europe would be this united. The UK leaves ok, but only that made the EU a lot more popular in the continent.

Not long ago we couldn't stop fighting.
Topic: San Fermin Festival
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 12:40:22 PM
Some Basque independentists tried to seize a Basque flag, I'm glad when the mayor blocked the move.

Adyl Mouhei wrote:
If this were held in any other part of the world rather than Europe, it would be described as absurd and cruel prehistoric folklore.

I'm against bullfighting but at least the part of running in front of the bulls (which made this festivity so famous worldwide) I don't think that it should be considered cruel.

In regards to it being absurd, that's subjective. I'd rather do other things than running in front of a bull but I can see why people like it (fear=endorphins).
Topic: Question about WordHub game.
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:05:46 PM
TFD wrote:
Yes, those games count toward your badge if you have played more rounds than your opponent.

Good to know, thanks! The system is fair then.
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 4:16:36 AM
TFD wrote:
Which badge are you referring to?

This one for instance:
http://secure.thefreedictionary.com/Badges.aspx#gwh

Quote:

WordHub
To earn this badge, play WordHub on iPhone, iPad, or Android, or at WordHub.com. Log in with your account from The Free Dictionary to play against friends or random opponents or in single-player mode.

Just would like to know if expired games count as real plays.
Posted: Saturday, June 22, 2019 7:45:51 PM
My question is simple: do expired games count for the badge?

Just saying because in the past 1 hour and a half even though I played a lot of games I could only complete four because people play and leave the game lol

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.