[0.02% of all post / 1.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: speak and talk
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:24:47 PM
Whistle Whistle Whistle Think
onsen wrote:
Hello,

Quote:
People who cannot speak can talk by using signs.
(Longman Dictionary of American English)

I pay attention to the combination of the words 'speak' and 'talk' in the sentence.
Other combinations are possible, though in theory.
They are as follows, including the original one.
A. speak……talk
B. speak……speak
C. talk………speak
D. talk………talk
Why did the writer choose the combination A from among A, B, C and D?

Thank you.
Aa person who has a speech impaired speech wasn't born this case and 1 dr. left the medication
too long speak too fast sounds like greek to someone but when a person's mouth is moist and talks slow
most of the time can be understood. To have only one ear to hear from and even a hearing aid can be spoken and talked to
is very lucky even if their perception from what direction the person finally locates the direction the person
voice is coming from in this case to be spoken to thoroughly doesn't feel left out of the conversationApplause Applause Applause Applause
Topic: a great big thank you
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:00:37 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's not a common grammatical form, really - but it is fairly common as a single phrase "a great big 'thank you'".

Really, it's just this, in short.
'I'd like to say a sentence. I would like to make it a big, noticeable, important statement.
That sentence is "Thank you!"'

"Thank you" is used as a noun.
"Great big" is an adjectival phrase.
"A" is the article for the noun-phrase "great big 'thank you'".

It's not exactly an idiom (an idiom usually has a meaning which is hidden - you cannot understand it from the words) - but, yes, it is a 'special phrase' which is used commonly - this is why I put it in inverted commas; to show that it is not being used in the normal way.

"Hello" can be used like this too.

And a great big 'Hello' to all the viewers who have just joined us.
I'd like to say a great big 'Hello' to my mother who will be watching us tonight.
When you give others creates a warm fuzzy feeling inside of you.Merci' Beau Coupe indicates thank you very much. Being grateful recognizing that you are a noble gentleman and a down to earth person1!!Dancing Dancing Whistle Applause Applause Applause Applause
Topic: Which are the correct sentences?
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:33:22 PM
renee talley 1 wrote:
Whistle d'oh! Think Anxious Have you had your dinner? + have you eaten your dinner?Applause Applause Applause Applause

Whistle Whistle Whistle you may feel the time your stomach is still full from breakfast but your choice knowing your own eating habits!!!Applause Applause Applause
Topic: Which are the correct sentences?
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:28:51 PM
Whistle d'oh! Think Anxious Have you had your dinner? + have you eaten your dinner?Applause Applause Applause Applause
Topic: Pls explain these words
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:24:28 PM
Think d'oh! Anxious
QP wrote:
Hi friends,

Guys are talking about their girlfriends:-

A: How about you and Jane?
B: One day, it's been alright. But.. I'm still in the market.
A: There's a few other girls on your case in London?
B: There's a few...
A: Who?

Could you please let me know the meaning "it's been alright" and "on your case" in this sentence?

Thank you
QP
sometimes I nee to put my foot down but instead say to you it's been alright if you're still in the market.
in this case to be on your back indicates you are aggravated that they don't know where their stopping point how you sstart feeling
enough already I get your point; I need some breathingWhistle Whistle Whistle Applause Applause Applause Applause room; wouldn't y'all agree?
Topic: What does "off the charts" mean?
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:04:09 PM
Dancing Dancing Think Applause Applause
renee talley 1 wrote:
Whistle Applause When the song is very popular this indicates that the song is repeatedly but this indicates the song has a chance go to platnum it has been played longer than the song artist or band has sold their song more than usual.Dancing Dancing Applause Applause Whistle Think
When a song artist passes away and their song is still selling
many times over that song is recognized in a very unique way.Applause Applause Applause Applause
Topic: What does "off the charts" mean?
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:58:39 PM
Whistle Applause When the song is very popular this indicates that the song is repeatedly but this indicates the song has a chance go to platnum it has been played longer than the song artist or band has sold their song more than usual.Dancing Dancing Applause Applause Whistle Think
Topic: 'You'll get me killed.' Vs. 'You'll get me be killed.' (causative verbs)
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:50:27 PM
Whistle Think Applause Applause Speak to the hand
renee talley 1 wrote:
Anxious Think You'll get yourself killed whenever you overreact and make a rash decision. The other example you used takes the meaning away and your ability and get your ability from point A - b with much more emphasis when your more direct to the person.Applause Applause Dancing Whistle
I have known you for a long time know and getting in touch with
your emotions when you have gone through your emotions on paper is the best policy. If you feel you are bullied or threatened and you know who that person is; very discreetly go to the right law enforcement agency. When you are more calmer the person you're talking to the right you'll get far more results in the long run!!!Dancing Dancing Dancing Whistle Whistle Applause Applause Applause Applause
Topic: 'You'll get me killed.' Vs. 'You'll get me be killed.' (causative verbs)
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 4:41:05 PM
Anxious Think You'll get yourself killed whenever you overreact and make a rash decision. The other example you used takes the meaning away and your ability and get your ability from point A - b with much more emphasis when your more direct to the person.Applause Applause Dancing Whistle
Topic: walk over
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 6:29:03 PM
Anxious Applause Dancing Whistle As we were Applause Anxious Whistle Dancing
Koh Elaine wrote:
We managed to walk over the problem.

Is "walk over" correctly used to mean "solve"?

Thanks.
As we were going to walk over a different route to the store a thought reoccurred to us to walk over and we figure that slowly getting to know the unfamiliar territory we'll know when we can be safe to walk over to the store without any problems.Think d'oh! Anxious Drool

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.