User Name: Y111
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 224
[0.02% of all post / 0.47 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: So much has been said and sung of beautiful young girls, why don't somebody wake up to the beauty of old women?
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 11:28:48 AM
Does experience have gender? Does it matter for this kind of beauty?
Topic: So much has been said and sung of beautiful young girls, why don't somebody wake up to the beauty of old women?
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 10:09:54 AM
That's for a reason. You can't make children with an old woman.
Topic: Your Favorite Song
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 4:41:03 AM
A great piece of funny nonsense :) LITTLE BIG – SKIBIDI
Topic: An Yesenin verse into English
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 4:00:28 AM
>My take, the rough counterpart for за- is ин-,

Yes, but not in all cases. Задумчивый obviously derives from the verb задуматься, and this verb can be used in the sense of "to start thinking". But even then, not to cause someone else to think.

Задуматься also has the meaning of getting immersed in thought, which puts it in one category with зачитаться, заиграться, засмотреться, заработаться. That is, when you get so involved in doing something that you either don't notice what happens around or keep doing it for a longer time than was planned or is reasonable. Surprisingly, this meaning of за- is absent from your list above. Maybe the 6th one is somewhat related to it. But I don't feel the verbs I've mentioned as perfective.

When задумчивый is used to describe a state, it means immersed in thought. When it's about a trait, it means inclined to get immersed in thought. In either case it's an inward action, not outward. And the meaning "to start" is absent in both.

Compare it with other adjectives with the "ив" suffix. Смешливый — inclined to laugh, гневливый — inclined to get angry, лживый — inclined to tell lies. Not making others laugh, get angry or lie.

Of course, a land can't be immersed in thought, literally. Maybe it seemed so to Yesenin because he himself was immersed in thought and maybe this state was somehow caused by his land. However, the word задумчивый itself doesn't tell this directly. So, should we enforce this interpretation on the readers of the translation? Maybe it's better to let them do their homework themselves. ;)
Posted: Saturday, October 6, 2018 4:48:11 AM
>It means making you духовный/soulful.

Adjectives that describe something making you something tend to have the ущ/ющ/ящ suffix. Одухотворяющий, одушевляющий, оживляющий, мертвящий, гнетущий. Each of them has a verb it was derived from. Одухотворяющий одухотворяет. Оживляющий оживляет. Задуховный — ?

However, I agree that the analogy with задушевный can work. If we understand задушевный as something that берёт за душу (takes you by the soul, touches your soul), then задуховный can be understood as something that берёт за дух. OK. But дух is spirit, not soul. Soul is душа.

Also, even if a song or a poem берёт за душу, that dosn't mean it makes you душевный. So here the analogy doesn't work for your interpretation. Душевный is rather a trait than a state of mind that comes and goes depending on what poem you are reading or what landscape observing at the moment. The same is true for духовный.

>The above prefix БЕЗ- is like the suffix/postfix -less, now the funny moment, what is the counterpart for the suffix/postfix -ful?!

That's a difficult question for me. Probably because there isn't one such particle.

>How do we say 'full of soul', also, what is the counterpart for prefix ЗА- ...

ЗА obviously have several different meanings, so its translation into English depends on context.
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 9:21:36 AM
Sanmayce wrote:
Google yielded only these for 'задуховный':

The first three are just typos, there are actually two words in each case: за (preposition) and духовный (adjective). The fourth example is not clear to me. I am not sure what this word is supposed to mean. I haven't seen it before. We have the word задушевный, so maybe someone made it up following this pattern. Strictly speaking, it's not clear what or who is задумчивый и нежный: his land or Yesenin himself. If it's the land, then the comma should be removed: мой край задумчивый и нежный. With the comma it must be Yesenin, but this way the structure becomes a bit too complex and easy to overlook. So maybe he put the comma there because of a slight pause he made when reading that line aloud. Just a guess.

Personally, I would never risk to translate poetry. It's so language dependent.
Topic: Man proposes - God disposes
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:48:22 AM
lazarius wrote:
the powerful Samantha

She is not nearly as powerful as Poroshenko. As you probably know, at his last parade two or three more soldiers fainted in his presence. Apparently they couldn't stand the emanation of his power. No wonder that even the searing at the funeral didn't do him any noticeable harm. :)
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:13:46 AM
Yes, the right thing should be done the right way. I agree that sharing suspicions is itself suspicious. So it can be questioned. However, if you don't like what someone has said, why not tell him that face to face? Why talk to the air and hide behind tablets with holy inscriptions? It looks like either arrogance or cowardice.
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:36:17 AM
Well, that black and white picture is from an undisclosed source itself. WHO says that? What EVIDENCE do they have? And so on. Apply your strict requirements to yourself first.

The use of anonymous "wise sayings" in a picture is widely spread on the internet as a means of manipulation. It's clearly aimed at making the reader think the saying belongs to someone authoritative. That it's something indisputably right. Because it doesn't even need the name of the author. It's a general truth!

Otherwise, why don't people just say it themselves? Because they are not sharing an idea or opinion, they are imposing them.

Now, to my post. That Poroshenko is suspected is a fact. That he is a heavy drinker is a rumor. Did I try to pass it for a fact? No. I presented it correctly, as a rumor. He is suspected. Not even "he is said". Not "he is considered" or "he is known". Besides, my post was a joke and this thread itself is a joke because it's about a typo in a tweet. I don't think it's correct to treat it as if it were a serious discussion.
Posted: Monday, September 3, 2018 8:19:40 AM
Poroshenko is suspected of heavy drinking, so maybe that was the evaporation of horilka that caused the fire around him. :)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.