Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 209
[0.02% of all post / 0.50 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Do We See Reality as it Is?
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2018 12:22:25 AM
Absinthius wrote:
Now I know you will never admit to the possibility that perhaps someone else has a valid point. But feel free to secretly learn something. Just come back with some unpleasant ad hominem or quip to let me know you have tried to absorb some information and to make sure you 'safe face'. I'll interpret it in my own way! Whistle

That spoiled all you had said before. Looks like you can't stand a different opinion.
Topic: The orange haired golfing menace
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:15:42 AM
Hope123 wrote:

Y111, I'm curious. Do you have any idea why Putin was interested in Bill Browder when he spoke with Trump? What do you know about the Magnitski Act? Or Chrystia Freeland?

Yes, I know about the Magnitski Act and the story behind it, it's no secret here. I vaguely remember reading about Freeland. Since she was banned in response, it must be only partly due to her critical publications.

Putin explained himself why he mentioned Browder, actually again in response to the US willing to interrogate 12 Russians. It was not about extradition, as far as I understand.
Topic: Do We Define Ourselves By Our Beliefs - Or What We Despise?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:58:21 PM
He said he wanted Trump to win because Trump intended to normalize relations between our countries. Do you think Putin is crazy? :)
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:41:13 PM
Absinthius wrote:
Y111 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Opponent? We are participating in two very different activities.

Yes, I am talking to you and you are talking to yourself.

This would imply your activities were very similar though..

As similar as sex and masturbation? :) There is a difference too, don't you think?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:30:09 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Y111,
Your attempt to go on the offence to refute my crack about Russian killing in England, during elections, torture in jails, the KGB, and so forth, making sure that the people are scared of the government, did not work. If you think these accusations are lies, then your media is not being allowed to tell you.

Tell me what? I live in Russia myself and I am not scared of our government. I can also enlighten you a bit that the KGB doesn't exist anymore. The sickle and hammer is not our national emblem, our flag is red only partly and the communists are not the ruling party in Russia. Just in case your media are not allowed to tell you. :)

I think everyone interested is aware of Western accusations against Russia. Not only from our media. I've seen a couple of sites where articles from foreign newspapers are published in Russian translation, so people can go there and read what your media write about us and discuss it. Of course, if they can read them in original, they can go to their sites. Nobody will torture them in jail for doing so. Whether they will believe what they read is another matter. Accusations are not established facts, especially if they are against your country.

Hope123 wrote:
How often do you feel free to contact your government or local newspaper to suggest changes?

I've never felt like doing that. But who would stop me and why? The KGB?

Sure there are cultural differences between Canada and Russia. We don't have the democratic tradition you have. But that's a bit different from living in fear.
Topic: Do We Define Ourselves By Our Beliefs - Or What We Despise?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:34:00 AM
You have a very pessimistic view on the shining kingdom of democracy.

That reminded me about an old joke that there are two ways to save this world. One is realistic: the Martians come and set everything in order, and the other is fantastic: we do it ourselves.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:31:27 AM
progpen wrote:
Opponent? We are participating in two very different activities.

Yes, I am talking to you and you are talking to yourself.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:15:56 AM
Hope123 wrote:
It's easy to "learn your place" when you are afraid the government will kill you. Whistle

You learn your place in any society, social group, at work. If you don't want to, you will be isolated at best. Either you play by the rules or get out of the game. Unless you are so influential that you can impose your own rules on others, of course.

Hope123 wrote:
The millionaires and billionaires get more handouts/tax cuts, and loopholes from government than any other group of people in the US and Canada.

Why don't you change it? Are you afraid your government will kill you?
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:11:28 AM
progpen wrote:
I'm sure Y111 knew I was being sarcastic, just as he is being intentionally obtuse.

And you are being obtuse unintentionally? ;) Yes, I knew you were sarcastic, but how is it relevant to what I've been talking about? You are a very evasive opponent. Now you aren't even replying to me directly. OK, I'm not going to insist, it's clearly a waste of time.
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 8:29:16 AM
progpen wrote:
No, I did not. I said, maybe we should learn our place.

Yes, like the citizens of some other countries. Learning is changing your ideas, starting to think differently about something. So what you are saying is that maybe you should change your mind and start thinking about yourselves the way the citizens of some other countries think about themselves. Unless you believe you know what they think, that doesn't make much sense.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.