Statistics
Number of Posts: 316
[0.03% of all post / 0.48 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Brexit, Offshore Money and Political Influence
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:38:34 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It is not the grammar

Perhaps I hadn't understood you. I thought you were uncertain whether they were Americans or foreigners, and so I wondered how it was possible for a foreigner to deceive a native speaker.

But I am not familiar with Quora. If all they write there is short questions, then it must be possible. Though in that case it would also be logical for them to pretend to be British and write some nonsense about America. Why take one side?
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:43:54 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
or foreigners pretending to be American imbeciles

How is that possible? I think there will always be mistakes in a foreigner's English. Mistakes of usage if not grammatical.

And some parts of grammar are difficult to master, like the articles for Russians.
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:39:28 AM
progpen wrote:
Like the old Russian saying, "в каждой шутке есть доля шутки, остальное правда" in every joke there is a grain of truth (and no, that is not a direct translation, just how we would say it in the US).

Actually the old Russian saying is the same as the American (в каждой шутке есть доля правды). What you quoted is a modern variation of it.
Topic: (The Phrases of 'although', 'In spite of' , 'Despite')
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2019 9:11:41 AM
Hmm... But you would not use 'the fact that' with a noun clause. Examples of Noun Clauses. So, if such a rule exists, it's not about 'a clause', but about certain types of them. However, Cooperator asked about 'a clause', i.e. any clause. I still don't think there is such a rule.

Unless, of course, you don't consider a noun clause a clause. Maybe there is a terminology problem. But Cooperator apparently does (see his example sentences). Since I was replying to him, I talked in his language, so to speak.
Topic: 'You are happy with the way things are running now' (Direct, Indirect Question and Statement)
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2019 3:55:05 AM
I think this problem can easily be solved: pick one question and answer only it.
Topic: (The Phrases of 'although', 'In spite of' , 'Despite')
Posted: Monday, April 8, 2019 12:37:50 AM
A cooperator wrote:
Is it a rule that if 'in spite of/despite' is used with a clause, then we have to include 'the fact that'?

No.

A cooperator wrote:
do you think that 'aside from' can be used the same way 'despite' and 'in spite of' are used?

Yes.

Those are things obvious even to a non-native speaker (from experience), so I don't think you really need a native here.
Topic: Sequence of events
Posted: Sunday, April 7, 2019 2:32:07 AM
sureshot wrote:
1. Your question is "Why is it important?"

Response: Your question is not clear.

I didn't understand why RuthP had mentioned the time when the sentence was written. What role does that time play in the interpretation of the sentences in question? I still don't understand that. This is my first query.

Since I had quoted the part of her post that confused me, I thought it would be clear what I was talking about. But apparently it wasn't. This puzzles me too. So I have one more question: what made my previous post unclear to you?

Also, I am always grateful for any advice from a native speaker, but I think it's only natural that if someone asks a question, the first thing he/she expects is an answer to it. I mean the question in my original post. Why did you prefer not to answer it? This is yet another thing I don't understand.

Thanks for your time and effort.
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:47:41 PM
RuthP wrote:
but before the time the sentence was written.

I don't quite understand you. Naturally he/she found the job before writing about finding it. Why is it important?
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 8:21:31 AM
sureshot wrote:
The past perfect emphasizes when you found the job. It also clarifies that finding a job was not your objective when you arrived in London. If you feel this is your requirement, please mention it. If it is not the case, there are several ways to communicate your thought.

I am not the author of the text in question and don't know what their objective was. However, jumping back and forth in time is usual in stories. Why is it bad if it doesn't confuse the reader? From BobShilling's reply I figured it didn't. Do you mean that the other understanding (that the author found the job after arriving in London) is also possible?
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 5:45:24 AM
sureshot wrote:
A better way to convey the intended sense is:

- I had found a job in London but when I arrived there,I didn't have any friends.

Thanks! But, in your version, is the past perfect even needed?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.