Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 323
[0.03% of all post / 0.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "Nationalism"?
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 6:10:51 AM
Lotje1000 wrote:
Why are you comparing Romany's opinion with the behaviour of the British government? She didn't personally elect them all and she is not responsible for their decisions.

If you live in a democracy, the government is your representative. It acts as your agent. So you can't say that you aren't responsible for its actions.

You should also be interested in its actions and have an opinion on them. Because you will have to decide whether you want these people to continue to represent you or not.

If you say, "I didn't elect them and am not responsible and don't know why they did this or that", then what is the difference between democracy and dictatorship? How does a citizen differ from a mere inhabitant?
Topic: EU data collection
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 7:50:26 AM
Or maybe they want to recognize criminals and spies before they commit a crime, by some patterns in their behavior. Then no wonder that they want to see that behavior. It will be analyzed by artificial intelligence maybe. Of course it works not only for criminals but for any kind that is of interest to the government. It wants to know what to expect from you. It wants to be able to predict and prevent rather than react to what has happened.

Does that make you less free? If you still decide what to do, then it, technically, doesn't. The difference is that the goverment will know your decision before you make it. So, if it doesn't want it to be made, it can do something to change the situation that would have led you to that decision.
Topic: EU data collection
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2019 7:11:50 AM
This is probably for them to know where you traveled if it turns out later that you work for the GRU.
Topic: USA elections 2020
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:06:07 AM
March Hare wrote:
Why not discard democracy, you ask.

No, I didn't ask that. My point is that neither you nor me can discard or not discard it. This change is a process that no individual can control. Even though Caesar was killed, it didn't prevent Rome from turning into an empire.

Yes, you can decide for yourself whether you want democracy, but you can't decide for an entire nation. If for some reason people don't care, it will pass away, whether you like it or not.
Topic: USA elections 2020
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:59:09 AM
Everything ends. Why should democracy be an exception? It comes and goes, as history shows us. Take ancient Rome for example. It evolved from a republic to an empire, even though some people didn't like the change. They couldn't stop the process.
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 12:33:46 PM
Wikipedia wrote:
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule, the law of the vital few, or the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
Topic: times tables
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 12:29:12 PM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
thar wrote:

mile - mille passus - a thousand paces marched by a Roman soldier

Hmm... I'll have to count my paces to see if theirs were bigger than mine.

They must have counted double paces: left + right. I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.
Topic: Brexit, Offshore Money and Political Influence
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:38:34 PM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It is not the grammar

Perhaps I hadn't understood you. I thought you were uncertain whether they were Americans or foreigners, and so I wondered how it was possible for a foreigner to deceive a native speaker.

But I am not familiar with Quora. If all they write there is short questions, then it must be possible. Though in that case it would also be logical for them to pretend to be British and write some nonsense about America. Why take one side?
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:43:54 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
or foreigners pretending to be American imbeciles

How is that possible? I think there will always be mistakes in a foreigner's English. Mistakes of usage if not grammatical.

And some parts of grammar are difficult to master, like the articles for Russians.
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 4:39:28 AM
progpen wrote:
Like the old Russian saying, "в каждой шутке есть доля шутки, остальное правда" in every joke there is a grain of truth (and no, that is not a direct translation, just how we would say it in the US).

Actually the old Russian saying is the same as the American (в каждой шутке есть доля правды). What you quoted is a modern variation of it.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.