Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 275
[0.03% of all post / 0.51 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: New Executive Order
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 11:26:05 AM
I looked both of them up before writing that post. However, 'cofefe' is clearly a misspelling of 'covfefe' (the word invented by Trump) even if it has acquired a meaning of its own.
Topic: 'Hand wounded' Vs. 'Wounded hand'
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 9:13:00 AM
Audiendus wrote:
6. This is a hand wounded.

What if the article were definite (This is the hand wounded)? Would it work then?
Topic: New Executive Order
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:05:37 PM
'Cofefe' is a misspelling of 'covfefe'.
Topic: a/the movie
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:16:17 AM
srirr wrote:
I would perhaps not say "Have you seen a movie called "The people"?" in any situation.

I guess you could ask so if you were not sure that such a movie existed.
Topic: To confront a bunch of countries, among which are the US and UK(Subject–verb inversion)
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 3:35:55 AM
Audiendus wrote:
If "is" is a linking verb in "He is sick" but not in "He is in pain", is it a linking verb in "He is sick and in pain"? (We cannot say: "He exists sick and in pain".)

It probably is because 'in pain' is not actually a location. At least if we change it to "He is sick and in his car", I suspect it won't sound OK. :) So there must be some difference.
Topic: To confront a bunch of countries, among which are the US and UK(Subject–verb inversion)
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:41:33 AM
A cooperator wrote:
Could anyone please tell me why we use 'Subject-verb inversion' in '...., among which is the UK.'?

I think word order is inverted to make it consistent with the order of ideas in our thought. In some sense you were right when you said that 'among which' should be the subject. Actually, what I meant to say was "You should be strong and brave to confront a bunch of countries which includes the US and the UK". This is how my thought went, and the order of ideas determined the word order.

So, 'the US and the UK' is the subject of the clause from a grammatical point of view, but from the point of view of the clause's meaning it indeed looks as if the subject were 'among which'.

'among which are' = 'which (bunch) includes'.

However, in grammatical analysis we look for the grammatical subject, and that's 'the US and the UK'.
Topic: Might
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:08:24 AM
I have a theory about why the version with 'like' is considered wrong.

'Might' is the past tense of 'may' in reported speech.

Frank said, "I may not come".
Frank said he might not come.

In the original sentence 'might' refers to the speaker's degree of confidence in his/her guess why Frank didn't come to the party. The time referred to by each version is indicated by its infinitive: 'like' is present and 'have liked' is past.

He might not like = I think it possible that he doesn't like
He might not have liked = I think it possible that he didn't like

Pragmatically speaking, both can be used because Frank's dislike for those people can be permanent, not confined to the time of the party.

He didn't come because he doesn't like them.
He didn't come because he didn't like them.

But from a purely grammatical point of view you might say that in the first sentence a past event is presented as a consequence of a present state of mind, which is contradictory.
Topic: When is a countable noun not preceded by any article
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:32:00 AM
A cooperator wrote:
I think " a school" or "school" denotes somewhere, but it doesn't matter which one, in "The best listeners are engaged with whatever they are listening to. This could be a lecture at (a) school or a conversation with a friend."

I think that in some sense it matters because in terms of location "I am at school" obviously means you are at YOUR school, not just A school. Similarly in your example about listeners 'a lecture at school' means one at THEIR school, not just some absolutely indefinite one.
Topic: , earlier than had been planned by British prime minister Harold Wilson (where is the subject)
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:56:54 AM
The subject is probably 'it', but it is omitted.
... earlier than (it) had been planned.
'it' meaning 'the British leaving Aden'.
Topic: abstraction
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 7:51:49 AM
Maybe the 'reel' is an infinitive?
...is redundant except to prime her fear, to reel in their threats from abstraction.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.