User Name: Maggie Q
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 180
[0.02% of all post / 0.34 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What's the meaning of this stuff?
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:30:53 AM
I stopped, looking at the little flashing cursor. The tears were still prickling at the corners of my eyes, but I repeat that there were no cold drafts around my ankles, no spectral fingers at the nape of my neck. I hit return twice. I clicked on center. I typed The End below the last line of prose, and then I toasted the screen with what should have been Jo's glass of champagne.

'Here's to you, babe,' I said. 'I wish you were here. I miss you like hell.' My voice wavered a little on that last word, but didn't break. I drank the Taittinger, saved my final line of copy, transferred the whole works to floppy disks, then backed them up. And except for notes, grocery lists, and checks, that was the last writing I did for four years.

Question 1 / 1: What’s the meaning of ‘Here's to you?’

Question 1 / 2: Can I also say ‘Here’s FOR you?’ If not, what’s the difference between them?

Question 2: What’s the meaning of ‘my final line of copy?’

Question 3: backed them up == backed floppy disks up? ( back up: to save copies of computer files in another place, in case the original files become inaccessible ? )

Question 4: My voice wavered a little on that last word --- last word == hell?
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 6:54:32 AM
I poured a glass of champagne, let the foam settle, then picked it up. 'I'm done, Jo,' I said as I sat there beneath the paddling fans. 'So that's all right, isn't it?'

There was no response. In light of all that came later, I think that's worth repeating — there was no response. I didn't sense, as I later did, that I was not alone in a room which appeared empty.

I drank the champagne, put the glass back on the Coke tray, then filled the other one. I took it over to the Mac and sat down where Johanna would have been sitting, if not for everyone's favorite loving God. No weeping and wailing, but my eyes prickled with tears.

Question 1: In light of all that came later, I think that's worth repeating — there was no response. --- ‘There was no response’ is ALL that came later? I mean, because ‘there was no response’ it is worth repeating to make the room’s atmosphere more alive?

Question 2: Is ‘where Johanna WOULD HAVE BEEN sitting’ subjunctive mood? I mean, it is a hypothesis of the past.

Question 3: What’s the meaning of ‘if not?’
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 4:09:33 AM
I thought I was probably inviting another storm of grief — -maybe the worst storm — but I went ahead anyway . . . and our emotions always surprise us, don't they? There was no weeping and wailing that night; I guess all that was out of my system. Instead there was a deep and wretched sense of loss — the empty chair where she used to like to sit and read, the empty table where she would always set her glass too close to the edge.

I poured a glass of champagne, let the foam settle, then picked it up. 'I'm done, Jo,' I said as I sat there beneath the paddling fans. 'So that's all right, isn't it?'

There was no response. In light of all that came later, I think that's worth repeating — there was no response. I didn't sense, as I later did, that I was not alone in a room which appeared empty.

I drank the champagne, put the glass back on the Coke tray, then filled the other one. I took it over to the Mac and sat down where Johanna would have been sitting, if not for everyone's favorite loving God. No weeping and wailing, but my eyes prickled with tears.

Question 1: What’s the meaning of ‘In light of all that came later?’ What does ‘all’ refer to?

Question 2: What’s the meaning of ‘I didn't sense, as I later did, that I was not alone in a room which appeared empty?’

Question 3: What’s the meaning of ‘if not for everyone's favorite loving God?’
Topic: Do these two analyses make sense?
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 4:08:43 AM
I thought I was probably inviting another storm of grief — -maybe the worst storm — but I went ahead anyway . . . and our emotions always surprise us, don't they? There was no weeping and wailing that night; I guess all that was out of my system. Instead there was a deep and wretched sense of loss — the empty chair where she used to like to sit and read, the empty table where she would always set her glass too close to the edge.

Question 1: What’s the meaning of ‘In light of all that came later?’ What does ‘all’ refer to?

Question 2: What’s the meaning of ‘I didn't sense, as I later did, that I was not alone in a room which appeared empty?’

Question 3: What’s the meaning of ‘if not for everyone's favorite loving God?’
Topic: What do these parts mean in this case?
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:40:58 AM
I was what midlist fiction used to be in the forties: critically ignored, genre-oriented (in my case the genre was Lovely Young Woman on Her Own Meets Fascinating Stranger), but well compensated and with the kind of shabby acceptance accorded to state-sanctioned whorehouses in Nevada, the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided and someone had to do That Sort of Thing. I did That Sort of Thing enthusiastically (and sometimes with Jo's enthusiastic connivance, if I came to a particularly problematic plot crossroads), and at some point around the time of George Bush's election, our accountant told us we were millionaires.

Question 1: What's the meaning of ' critically ignored, genre-oriented?'

Question 2: What's the meaning of 'the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided?'

Question 3: What's the meaning of 'plot crossroads?'

Question 4: In this case, what's the meaning of 'at some point?'

Question 5: In this case, what's the meaning of 'compensate?'
Topic: In this case, what's the meaning of 'once?'
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:40:03 AM
palapaguy wrote:
They both mean "at one time in the past."

thank you :-)

I was what midlist fiction used to be in the forties: critically ignored, genre-oriented (in my case the genre was Lovely Young Woman on Her Own Meets Fascinating Stranger), but well compensated and with the kind of shabby acceptance accorded to state-sanctioned whorehouses in Nevada, the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided and someone had to do That Sort of Thing. I did That Sort of Thing enthusiastically (and sometimes with Jo's enthusiastic connivance, if I came to a particularly problematic plot crossroads), and at some point around the time of George Bush's election, our accountant told us we were millionaires.

Question 1: What's the meaning of ' critically ignored, genre-oriented?'

Question 2: What's the meaning of 'the feeling seeming to be that some outlet for the baser instincts should be provided?'

Question 3: What's the meaning of 'plot crossroads?'

Question 4: In this case, what's the meaning of 'at some point?'

Question 5: In this case, what's the meaning of 'compensate?'
Topic: In this case, what's the meaning of 'once?'
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 12:34:16 AM
You've seen my name on a lot of bestseller lists . . . if, that is, your Sunday paper carries a list that goes up to fifteen instead of just listing the top ten. I was never a Clancy, Ludlum, or Grisham, but I moved a fair number of hardcovers (V. C. Andrews never did, Harold Oblowski, my agent, told me once; the lady was pretty much a paperback phenomenon) and once got as high as number five on the Times list . .

Q 1: Harold Oblowski, my agent, told me once --- in this case, what's the meaning of 'once?'

Q 2: and once got as high as number five on the Times list . . --- in this case, what's the meaning of 'once?'
Topic: What do these words mean in this case?
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:02:00 AM
The Rite Aid and the Shopwell are less than a mile from our house, in a little neighborhood strip mall which also supports a video store, a used-book store named Spread It Around (they do a very brisk business in my old paperbacks), a Radio Shack, and a Fast Foto. It's on Up-Mile Hill, at the intersection of Witcham and Jackson.

Q 1: in a little neighborhood strip mall --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'neighborhood?'

Q 2: in a little neighborhood strip mall which also supports a video store --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'support?'

Q 3: they do a very brisk business in my old paperbacks --- In this case, what's the meaning of 'in?'
Topic: This is the stuff I am preparing for my class
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2018 6:08:38 AM
thank you :-)
Topic: This is the stuff I am preparing for my class
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2018 10:01:55 PM
This is the stuff I am preparing for my class:

Teacher asks students: Can he wait till the time the nurse tells him to? --- Does this QUESTION sound natural? If not, could you help me correct it?

NURSE: Can't you wait till this afternoon?

MR. CROFT: I'm afraid that I can't.

Teacher asks students: Can he wait till THAT afternoon? --- does this QUESTION sound natural? If not, could you help me correct it? ( THIS afternoon ? or THAT afternoon ? )

NURSE: The dentist is very busy and you can't see him now.

MR. CROFT: Why? I have an appointment with him.

Teacher asks students: Can he see the dentist NOW? --- does this QUESTION sound natural? If not, could you help me correct it? ( NOW ? or AT THAT TIME ? or AT THAT MOMENT? )

P.S. These three questions have nothing to do with each other :-)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.