Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 64
[0.01% of all post / 0.07 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I think/ I am thinking
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:45:19 PM
I found this text in my English book. I think there is a mistake, but I let you decide that.

It reads, "You're thinking it will last forever, and you spend it quickly."

I believe the answer should be like this, You think it will last forever, and you spend it quickly.

regards,Boo hoo!
Topic: befond benefits.
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2019 10:22:59 AM
Hello, everyone.

I have a question about the use of the word beyond. I found an essay written for a classmate of mine which reads, "IQ tests have benefits beyond than disadvantages."

I told my classmate that it should have been written like the following:

- IQ tests have more benefits than disadvantages.

- IQ tests have benefits beyond our imagination although it does have a few disadvantages.

Either way, I am not so sure about the use of the word beyond in her essay. Do you have any suggestions? Boo hoo!
Topic: remain or remains
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2019 10:15:51 AM
Only a year and a half remain/remains for us to complete the construction of this building.

Which is the correct verb?

Thank you!

"Remains" is the one I would use. It is similar to one and a half years because it is two things: "a/one" year, and "a/one" half of a year.

I just want to add that a year and a half is acting as math 1 1/2, so it is correct to use a singular verb.
Topic: in or at
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2019 10:12:29 AM
Boo hoo!

I do agree. Prepositions have a direct meaning type. Applause
Topic: it was not so.
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:11:58 PM
Dear teachers,

I have come to see this on a piece of paper made by a non-native speaker. "They live happily without worries, but in my case it was not so."

I think this statement is wrong, but I don't know why it is. Can you give me a hand, please?

Topic: Order of adjectives
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:14:21 AM
Think

Teachers and fellow enthusiasts, I am not very sure if this argument is valid in any shape or form, but my ex-teacher said that it is not relevant to learn the rules of the order of adjectives since we do not use this in real life. And continue saying that in real life we should learn what it's usable on our daily basis.

Do you use the order of adjectives in real life or it is just something we should learn no matter what?

Personally, I didn't like this topic because it is too much information to remember.

Regards,
Boo hoo!
Topic: am reading vs has been reading
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 1:39:26 PM
Boo hoo!

Present Continuous is also used when we talk about something which is happening at present, but not necessarily at the moment of speaking:

Examples: 1. I'm reading an interesting book.
2. Tom is looking for a new job.

I think that you are referring to the present continuous usage. I think that you are right on your way of thinking. I don't see anything weird on your question.

Regards,
Topic: be (as) green as a gooseberry
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 1:03:11 PM
Boo hoo!

IDK, If what I am saying is right, but I am saying it anyways for the sake of saying it.

‘such a case might be within the purview of the legislation’ Boo hoo!

Such a lovely word "purview"
Topic: grotesque
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 12:40:56 PM

Examples with the word of the day

‘Turning on the Admiral, her face twisted into a grotesque mask of furor and grief.’
‘Poverty is ugly and the most grotesque form of slavery.’
‘The latter piece, rather grotesque and humorous, will probably never become popular.’

Boo hoo!
Topic: Language
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2019 12:38:12 PM
Yesterday, a friend who is studying English and currently is in a very basic level asked me a question.

"How many words are we supposed to know to be considered a good English speaker?"

I didn't answer him as I am also studying English. I'd like to know if you could give me an answer to that.

Boo hoo!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.