User Name: Erhnice
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 9
[0.00% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Shouldn't that be replaced by which?
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:18:53 AM
"Which" and "that", in the context above, are relative pronouns, that is, they stand in place of a noun ["The first surgery ... was a craniotomy. Craniotomy is a procedure ..."]. The relative pronoun "THAT" can only be used in RESTRICTIVE RELATIVE CLAUSES. Restrictive clauses limit or define a noun, that is, they CANNOT be set apart by commas. The relative pronoun "WHICH" is used in NON-RESTRICTIVE or NON-DEFINING relative clauses.

Non-restrictive clauses do not restrict or define the noun (it's just an additional information). In the above sentence, the relative clause IS NON-RESTRICTIVE. Therefore, since it's merely an information, the relative pronoun should be preceded by a comma: "The first surgery on 3 June was a craniotomy, WHICH is a procedure where part of the skull is removed to extract blood clots from the child's brain".
Topic: That or who?
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 7:33:22 AM
Both are grammatically correct for these reasons: (1) "who" is used for people (and for pets when we consider them part of the family); (2) "that" is used for people, pets and things. So, it's actually your choice.
Topic: Too often we...enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 7:15:50 AM
This is all Trump does all the time. He doesn’t seem to know history never forgets.
Topic: Which are (of) the same grammatical type
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 7:09:58 AM
There is no preposition ["of"] before "type". Take a look at these two questions: (A) What type of person are you? and (B) What type is she? (you wouldn't say *"Of what type ...", right?) The answers would be something like this: I'm the type of person that likes to wake up early, before sunrise; she's the type that hates going to bed early. The sentence structure, therefore, is this: SUBJECT ["which": a relative pronoun that stands for "coordinating conjunctions"] + TO BE [are] + NOMINATIVE PREDICATE [the ... type].

Topic: Is "on" correct or "for"?
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:33:32 AM
That is a tricky question, which seems quite simple. Here's my interpretation: (1) "...conference had been set for Tuesday" = ... conference had been SCHEDULED for Tuesday; (2) if the pre-trial conference is to TAKE PLACE sometime, say, Tuesday, the preposition is "on" and the verb cannot be "to set": "A pre-trial conference WILL BE on Tuesday (or "WILL TAKE PLACE on Tuesday"). As far as the context above (i.e. someone is facing charges, and a pre-trial had been set), the preposition is FOR. Although grammatically both prepositions make sense, in the context above "ON" is incorrect because it does not make sense to refer to the day the pre-trial conference had been set. The relevant information is the day it will take place.
Topic: Just as important as
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:28:12 AM
(1) “Just” is an adverb ( it modifies “be”), and it means “exactly” in this context.
(2) “…as important as the language they contain”: comparative degree of equality (“as … as” = “to the same degree”).
Topic: A poem
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 11:51:27 AM
Here's my suggestion:

Just a moment

Not a poet,
not born a poet.
A poet? Never been.
However, here, on the seashore,
by that glowing orange sunset,
I am an old poet.
I am the sky
the reddish clouds
the sea
the soft summer breeze
touching my face.
The soft grass, I am,
underneath my feet.
I am the little critters, and also
the wind
the seagulls
the waves,
the continuous ripples,
bathing my feet.
Meanwhile,
as the sun sets,
I hear a song,
the syncopated rhythm
of that final flute...

Why? (1) the title was too obvious; (2) omission of the subject and verb makes the lines more interesting to read (because the reader will have to guess WHO is the subject); (3) "on" instead of "at" when referring to the seashore; (4) "touching" (the gerund is more emphatic); (5) inversions make constructions a lot more powerful; however, one is enough; (6) "underneath" gives the idea of a bottom surface; (7) "small" = "little", but "little" is more affectionate, I think; (8) "continuous" (spelling); (9) wrong use of the preposition: *"with the sun setting"; (10) I think "a song" gives the idea that you begin to hear it coming from afar; it's more impactful; (11) "the ... rhythm of that final flute": "that final flute" is kind of mysterious (readers may ask, "which one?"); "that", that is, the rhythm the persona can hear; readers, can't; finally, why "final"? It's open to interpretation), as it should be.
Topic: while vs although
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 10:45:31 AM
Both, “although” and “while”, are conjunctions, that is, they join the main clause to the subordinate clause. However, they vary in meaning: “although” [= “though”] means “in spite of” (although I understand what she says, I don’t agree with her).

However, “while” has different meanings:

(1) at the same time: While he was watching TV, I was cooking dinner.

(2) In spite of (same as “although” and ”though”):
While I understand what he says, I don’t agree with him.
(= Although I understand what he says, I don’t agree with him.)

(3) To express contrast,while” = “whereas” = “but”:
You prefer skiing, while I prefer swimming.
She prefers skiing, whereas her husband prefers swimming.
I prefer swimming, but my twin sister prefers skiing.
Topic: Our fear of death is like our fear that summer will be short, but when we have had our swing of pleasure, our fill of fruit,...
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2017 9:38:13 AM
Summer (= life) may be long. In case it isn't (= if death comes our way), that's fine (= acceptance) because we have lived life to its fullest (< "we have had our swing of pleasure, our fill of fruit and our swelter of heat"). Therefore, we should not waste our time worrying about tomorrow. Instead, we should enjoy life as if there is (were) no tomorrow. As Dalai Lama says, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday, and the other is called tomorrow; so, today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live."

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.